Variegated Vinca advice

Vancouver, WA(Zone 8a)

Attached 2 photo's of variegated vinca I have on west side of my back yard.10 ft x 10 ft right now. I have an evergreen mock orange (to grow 8 ft tall x 8 ft wide) and a Peegee hydrangea along the cyclone fence where this vinca is spreading. I plan to plant a flowering quince & something else. Trying to create some natural privacy after pulling out old arborvitae a few yrs ago.
My question: Have I created an invasive monster by planting this vinca? I need to pull out the delicate Iris and lilies I have planted in this area as they are lost in this jungle. I thought I was creating a low maintenance
area. My dear neighbor on the other side of cyclone fence has a yard crew that must spray that area to keep it out of her yard, I am assuming.

What was I thinking?

I have same vinca on shady east side and grows very slowly.

Thumbnail by anastatia Thumbnail by anastatia
Lake Stevens, WA(Zone 8a)

Hi anastatia-
I have Vinca minor 'Ralph Shugert' I planted in very dry shade about 6-7 years ago, under a cedar tree. I got worried it might be invasive based on reading in books, but it has not been invasive. It grows so slowly that I have never done anything to it. The vines will root at the nodes, but you can just pull it up. I have never seen anything that looks like a seedling. So far so good. Possibly the difference is the variety, or maybe that I hardly ever water it. I doubt iris or lilies would survive on the little water I provide in that location.

South Beach, OR(Zone 9a)

Oh gosh! I used to live in Marin county in California and my yard was hopelessly taken over by vinca. Now I live on the Oregon coast and was hoping it would be more well behaved as I have a shady spot I was thinking of planting it in. Good to hear that 'Ralph Shugert' might be well behaved Pistil.

Lake Stevens, WA(Zone 8a)

No guarantees- watch it like a hawk!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.