My planted out seedlings

Hendersonville, NC(Zone 7a)

This was my first year seed-starting indoors, so I chose easy marigolds . . and tomatoes, 'natch! I live in an apartment, so for 2 months I had a gro station in my living room and for the last month, another gro station in my kitchen (blocking access to my washer & dryer)!

So it is with a LOT of pride and satisfaction that they're OUTSIDE now and they're looking good (even if I do say so myself! LOL)

**All pics taken Memorial Day weekend
#1-2 my front garden with all 5 varieties of marigolds
#3 four varieties of powderpuff marigolds (front garden)
#4 Tomato Jungle and singlet marigolds (back garden)
#5 green growing tomatoes on Fourth of July plant

Thumbnail by BetNC Thumbnail by BetNC Thumbnail by BetNC Thumbnail by BetNC Thumbnail by BetNC
Lake Stevens, WA(Zone 8a)

Newby no more!
I especially like the orange and yellow by the yellowish brick.

Everett, WA(Zone 8a)

Nice plants and no weeds!

It took me three years to get indoor seed-starting and transplanting figured out.

With a larger seed-starting station you could supply your whole neighborhood with seedlings!

Hendersonville, NC(Zone 7a)

LOL

My neighborhood have marigolds in their front garden and tomatoes on their back patios already! I had to give away 2/3 of what I had grown (Thanks, Rick, for your tips on how to kill seedlings; I just did the opposite!). I think, though, that I was just lucky: I did have two failures, too. Turns out chinese asters do NOT like to be started indoors (only two seedlings for 144 seeds sown) and my tray of zinnias look. . . sick! mostly yellowish-green leaves: they just do NOT look healthy!

My garden helper helped me get rid of my extra marigolds: he finished filling up his front yard (he's hoping the abundant floral display will help him win the front garden competition this year), then started in on his lady friend's garden. . . and he still had some leftover, so he gave them to HIS neighbor!!

I gave interested neighbors a tomato seedling and a simple, step-by-step guide "How to Grow Tomatoes in a Container" that I wrote up (complete with local sources and prices). Three neighbors have shop bucket tomato plants on their back patios and another has a smaller Tomato Jungle. The remaining nine tomato seedlings I sent with a neighbor to her Senior Citizen's Center with my guide. She said they were so happy I think I'll grow extra tomato seedlings specifically for them, next year. (If your trying to keep track, I grew out 21 tomato seedlings and initially kept 11 -later had to put two out for adoption as I didn't have enough sun for all of them. . . .)

Things I learned this first year )in no particular order):
#1) never, EVER sow more than two seeds per cell: they will ALL live just to spite you!
#2) never sow more seed than your gro station will handle: having a second station for the over-flow after transplanting is nice, handy even, but REALLY makes for cramped living quarters!
#3) dirt belongs OUTSIDE! I don't cared WHAT you call it (soil-less medium, e.g.), it is STILL dirt and has no place in a well-kept home! My vacuum MISSED its closet storage place: it was out more than it got time to cool down!

And finally: one gro station can accomodate 5 1020 trays, with 20 transplant cups per tray. TWO gro stations handles twice that, but BETNC can't!!!!!

Lake Stevens, WA(Zone 8a)

LOL!

Everett, WA(Zone 8a)

Great news, BetNC!

I recognize the thrill of "now I can start VAST quantities of seedlings!!".

And the reaction, about one week later: "Where will I PUT all the adult plants??!!??"

I really love this part of gardening: seeing what look like dead pebbles or grit or dust turn into living plants! It seems like a miracle every time.

Natick, MA

Rick,

Totally agree! I never was really good at seed growing. I didn't really do it right, or know what I was doing. I have learned so much here the past year or more....This year I wintersowed for the first time and WOW. ALOT of successes. I'm nearing the end (finally) of getting all m seedlings planted...I overdid a bit!

I also grew some seeds inside, limited amount. I'ts been a learning experience, but I've been SO much more successful and it's GREAT!

I am enjoying watching all my seedlings grow and can't wait for all the blooms!

Everett, WA(Zone 8a)

Maybe it was good for both of us to have some trouble starting seeds AT FIRST. Now we appreciate the miracle even more.

When I look at a flower bed in bloom, I'm kind of happy.
"Oh, look. They're pretty. And THEY DIDN'T ALL DIE!!"

But when I see a seedling pop it's head above ground level and turn into a healthy PLANT, I'm know I'm watching a miracle.

Natick, MA

SO VERY TRUE! I am thrilled everyday to see a new bug or a new bloom in my garden....
It doesnt take much to make my happy! :o)

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.