ALOT of tomatoes to give away!

Danbury, CT

Well I usually get carried away with my seed starting as I do have friends that count on my tomatoes for their gardens. However this year with excellent germination rate, the usual I can't bear to throw healthy looking seedlings away, well I ended up with around 300 plants! I currently have 133 needing homes. The following is what I think I have (have not done inventory since giving many away):

Black Krim
Black Cherry
Earl's Faux
Jaunne Flamme
JD's Special C tex
KBX
Stump of the World
Black form Tula
Kosovo
Ted's Pink Currant
Abraham Lincoln
dester
Joe's Pink Oxheart
Rosella Purple
Opalka
Tappy's Heritage
Neves Azorean Red
Sweet Ozark Orange

I live in Danbury Connecticut- so anyone in the area interested let me know. All freebies!

Hendersonville, NC(Zone 7a)

LOL I, too, got carried away with my first year seed starting! but on a MUCH smaller scale!!! My DIY seed starting set=up can only handle 197 seedlings / coffee cups...or 100 tomatoes / red solo cups.

I have enough patio space to grow4 or 5 tomatos comfortrably...but ended up starti9ng 11 different varieties...(OOOO! This one's neat! I gotta hve it!) so I ended up with 11 tomatoes on my crowded patio! I started more than I needed, 'nsatch, so gave 2/3 away: neighbors would come a-knocking and I sent the hakf-dozen left to a local Senior Citizen's Centerr they wsere THRILLED!!

NEXT year, I'm promisxing mysxelf I will only buy ONE grape tomato seed pAcket, still start 9 varieties for a total of 30 seedlings and have ONLY 4 or 5 tomato plants on my patio!! Left-over seedlings already have an appreciative collection of folks!

You might try local Senior Citizen's Center, neighborhood garden clubs. . .

(in other words: Good Luck!! I POSITIVELY don't want any more tomato plants; I successfully got rid of my excess!!)

Peachtree City, GA(Zone 8a)

Luckily I had neighbors setting up their first gardens so I was able to find homes for my extra veggie plants.

SE Houston (Hobby), TX(Zone 9a)

I'm like you, too.

I ended up with 385 tomato seedlings this past season. Sold half, gave half of the remainder away, and finally had to just toss the rest.

Never again -- at least not without a buyer on the other end...LOL!

I have exactly NINE of those seedlings growing in my own garden, LOL!

Bordentown, NJ(Zone 7a)

You could make a craigslist ad offering free seedlings at your curbside. Or forgo the ad and just put a table at your curb with a sign "free tomato plants." Every year I place several seedlings at the entrance to the local community garden and they disappear. (It's fun to see my babies grow in other people's garden plots--provided that they put the stick next to the plant.) Someone in my town put extras outside the public library (with their permission). If your local Dave's Garden members have a plant swap, that's a great way to exchange your extras for other types of plants.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.