sweet olive propagation

Kentwood, LA(Zone 8b)

I have tried to root cuttings from my tree but haven't had any luck. I would appreciate any advice on propagating my sweet olive.

Northeast, WA(Zone 5a)

Gosh, I don't know about starting pieces of one. I just have terrible time keeping mine alive. I bought one from Logees and it was a nice plant, but I have had it a month or more, and it isn't looking very good. Do you use yours as a house pant, or??? ok, I just looked and see where you live. No wonder you are trying something and I am trying something different. LOL, 2 different atmospheres. A big difference. Good luck. Jen

Kentwood, LA(Zone 8b)

Hi Jnette. Mine is in the ground and over 15 feet tall. I would like to know how to root them. The scent is heavenly and covers my whole yard. I am not sure about yours but it should be in a large pot and protected in winter. Mine never looses its leaves and blooms several times a year for long periods of time.

Northeast, WA(Zone 5a)

That is exactly what I wanted but in a pot for a house plant. Exactly. I had 2 and lost them both. Not sure why. i would think, the only way, maybe not the only way, but to my way of thinking, air layering would be a good way for you to do it. Is yours a shrub, or a tree form? If it is a shrub where the branches were close to the ground, it should be easy to just put one in the soil and put a rock over it. If a tree, I would imagine air layering a branch where you would make a cut and then use damp moss or whatever and wrap the whole thing in plastic wrap. LOL, I am sure the folks who do this are just cringing over my simplistic description of what they do;. You would need to look at their site. Youtube of this would be great. Y

I do envy you immensely for your plant. .Why couldn't you also take end cuttings off of the new growth on some of the branches and put them in water? Just another thought. Jeanette

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.