FIRST FLOWERS MEMORIAL DAY 2015

Silver Spring, MD(Zone 7a)

Thanks Muddy! I'm putting the names in the ATP database now so I never have to ask again. :D It's interesting how the blooms are almost white.

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

Dr. Bonner's.. that rings a bell.. I've heard good things about it as a hand/face soap also. Went to Amazon -- option anxiety! Do I get rose, lavender, peppermint... ? The bugs will croak regardless, I'm sure!

Jill, is there a Trader Joe's near you? They sell a good-sized peppermint bottle in their stores. I used it to combat aphids on my crab apple and it worked really well.

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

Jim gets down to the Gaithersburg TJ's maybe once/month... so I'll order from Amazon. Peppermint did sound good for combating bugs, but i might be leaning toward lavender since if I get a 32 oz bottle there will be plenty left to use on *me* also -- and I love lavender!

Anne Arundel,, MD(Zone 7b)

Gita, check your workshop again, you gave me a bottle of Insecticidal soap, maybe you still have one there?
Thanks, I get those tiny green worms on my roses too.

Maybe Joy Original was a simple formulation, not Joy Ultra. I think tapla suggests Murphy's Oil Soap for his Neem spray. Which ought to work too. But commercial insecticidal soap is what I would make the first choice.

Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

Sally--
Thanks for reminding me about the "Whitney Farms" Insecticidal Soap. You are a gem!

I just went downstairs and looked--I still have more than one......YEAH!
This and all the other garden products I have there were from my "haul" at the
Ace store a year ago. All the products were clearanced at 80%-90% off.
Like....99 cents each bottle!!! I have a lifetime supply of many of those products.

Re the "Joy"---the one I had was the plain soap one. Not the "Ultra".
I no longer have any of it, but it is available in stores.

I have a bunch of bottles of "Murphy's Oil Soap"--some of them are quite vintage....:o)

G.

Lucketts, VA(Zone 7a)

Jill, you can go to The Common Market Co-op on Buckeystown Pike there in Frederick and buy Dr. Bonner's in any volume you want, ounce, gallon, etc, it is sold in bulk. In the far right corner across from the bulk grain bins.

Any "mainstream" dish soap has a host of ingredients, and many contain the antibacterial triclosan, which aside from human health issues, passes through treatment and effects aquatic life. It also suppresses healthy soil biota. Consequently, some states have banned sale of products containing it. Turns out the list of ingredients I post for Joy is not up to date; last year Procter & Gamble removed it from their formulations due to consumer pressure.

Lititz, PA(Zone 6b)

Aspen, your property looks gorgeous. I don't even like Hostas and I think yours look wonderful. I really like that silene on along the walk.

Salem Cnty, NJ(Zone 7b)

Those Silene look so frothy. LOVE them in the steps. Oh, and the row of hosta, and just everything. Very inviting!!!!

Lucketts, VA(Zone 7a)

Some photos from today

1 - Campanula 'Bellringers'

2 - Asclepias purpurascens - Purple Milkweed - posted before, but not whole clump

3 - Fritillary butterfly on Purple Milkweed - too nice not to share

4 - Sambucus canadensis - Elderberry

5 - NoID Hydrangea

Thumbnail by greenthumb99 Thumbnail by greenthumb99 Thumbnail by greenthumb99 Thumbnail by greenthumb99 Thumbnail by greenthumb99
Lucketts, VA(Zone 7a)

More

1 - Digitalis mertonensis - Strawberry Foxglove

2 - Digitalis thapsi 'Spanish Peaks' - Fingerhut Foxglove

3 - Penstemon tubaeflorus - White Wand Beardtongue

4 - Thalictrum dasycarpum - Tall Meadow Rue

5 - Ricinus communis - Castor Bean - Red female flowers on top of flower spike, cream male flowers below.

Thumbnail by greenthumb99 Thumbnail by greenthumb99 Thumbnail by greenthumb99 Thumbnail by greenthumb99 Thumbnail by greenthumb99

wonderful! Your variety is just astounding.

I didn't know that about castor bean flowers

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

Neither did I, thanks GT Beautiful blooms everyone is putting up.

Vienna, VA(Zone 7a)

What a lucky butterfly; so many tempting flowers to choose from!

It's nice to see that your Sambucus is blooming; that means mine should be soon.

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

Roses and alliums and a few pics from the GH

Thumbnail by HollyAnnS Thumbnail by HollyAnnS Thumbnail by HollyAnnS Thumbnail by HollyAnnS Thumbnail by HollyAnnS
Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

Lovely!!

Thanks, GT, I will bring a container and swing out to the Common Market.

Lititz, PA(Zone 6b)

GT, lovely blooms! Is that purple milkweed perennial, I like it a lot.

Holly, is that second pic a bougainvillaea? I like those.

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

Yes, It is a Bougie, It will stay in the GH for the summer, I use to move it outside but the pot has no hole in it and last year my inattentiveness had the poor thing drowning, to the point I almost lost it. So I think it will be pretty in the GH this year. I move a lot of the plants outside for the summer but I keep a few in the GH, too.

A tale of two Indian pinks.

The first one is blooming nicely and looking healthy.

The second one, in another part of the yard, was looking great until about three days ago when it wilted suddenly and now looks dead.

This message was edited Jun 11, 2015 11:11 AM

Thumbnail by ssgardener Thumbnail by ssgardener

Lilies from ADR.

Sempervivum bloom.

Cheyenne Spirit echinacea grown from seed last year.

Hydrangeas.

Thumbnail by ssgardener Thumbnail by ssgardener Thumbnail by ssgardener Thumbnail by ssgardener Thumbnail by ssgardener

gosh ssg, wonder what is going on with the Indian Pink.
Good thing you have other pretty flowers to distract you. That Hydrangea (from wind?) is the same one I have and shared with Pat/ecnalg? Mine is a nice mounded plant no more than three feet tall (I think less) and covered with those lacecap blooms.

Lititz, PA(Zone 6b)

Yikes, that poor Indian pink! I hate when something weird and unexplainable happens to a beloved plant. That last hydrangea is real pretty, what's it called?

Holly, why not drill some holes in that pot and then move it outside?

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

I've done that with other pots but I don't want to bother with it right now, plus I like have some plants in the GH over the summer so it doesn't look so bare. It will grow just as well in the GH over the summer and add some color. I usually leave the Orchids and some of the begonias in the GH over summer, too.

Seq and Sally, that last hydrangea is from Wind. I was told it was a noid, but I think it could be Blue Billow.

It's probably only about 2 feet tall. I'm slowly removing the perennials around it to make room for it as it spreads.

Wind has posted pictures of the mother plant, which is just gorgeous and completely smothered in blooms. And it (probably) blooms on new wood, which is a plus!

I have no idea what happened to that Indian pink. It's surrounded by healthy ajuga, hellebore, and sweet woodruff.

Lititz, PA(Zone 6b)

Yeah that's pretty weird SSG. In my limited experience with Indian Pink, they've been pretty finicky.

Damascus, MD(Zone 7a)

Very pretty hydrangea, SSG. The flowers are so unique! Some Viburnum varieties have flowers of similar forms, only all white.

Lucketts, VA(Zone 7a)

Sequoia - yes, the Purple Milkweed is perennial. I started the plants from seed several years ago.

Took some photos on the way in from the car this afternoon;

1 - Blephilia hirsuta - Hairy Wood Mint - like Blephilia ciliata, but white instead of blue.

2 - Echium vulgare - Viper's Bugloss

3 - Triteleia laxa 'Rudy' - thought it had all died or I had inadvertently weeded it out, but some lives on and has started to bloom.

Thumbnail by greenthumb99 Thumbnail by greenthumb99 Thumbnail by greenthumb99
Lucketts, VA(Zone 7a)

I agree - love that lacecap hydrangea, ssg. I think I prefer lacecaps to mopheads, but I really like them both. Your Asiatic lilies are blooming at least a week or more before I expect to see any bloom here in Lucketts.

Lucketts, VA(Zone 7a)

Nice pics GT!

Donner, I love viburnums that look like lacecap hydrangeas!

I wish I'd known more about viburnum varieties when I bought mine. There's apparently a really nice fragrant species other than V. carlesii.

Jeff, we might need a new thread!

That 'Rudy' is really interesting, GT.

Speaking of Indian pinks, check this out!

https://twitter.com/adrian_higgins/status/609077053137281024

WOW!

Lititz, PA(Zone 6b)

SSG, I stole a pic of your one hydrangea for my new thread...I hope you don't mind.

We are moving here:

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1397842/

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.