FIRST FLOWERS MEMORIAL DAY 2015

Lititz, PA(Zone 6b)

We came from here:

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1394178/#post_10079209

Here are a couple of mine, there's more but I haven't had the time to snap the pics.

Pic 1 & 2 Rhodi 'Kokardia
Pic 3 Rhodi Catawbiense 'Alba'

This message was edited May 26, 2015 9:51 PM

Thumbnail by Sequoiadendron4 Thumbnail by Sequoiadendron4 Thumbnail by Sequoiadendron4
Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

Jeff--aren't you the quick one to shift threads?

Just like that! BAM!!! Most of us do not have an issue with a bit longer Threads.

Coleup does--I think. Anyone else?

G.

Lititz, PA(Zone 6b)

Lol G, you're too funny. I think you are one of the only people who's ever asked me to change to a new thread.

I try to change them at 200 or so.

edited to correct grammer

This message was edited May 23, 2015 10:37 PM

Anne Arundel,, MD(Zone 7b)

Coleup your concord grape Trad looks quite hot pink. Would you say? I got Concord grape crom miatablu ages ago along with some others but lost track of who was who.
My gosh the rhodies are gorgeous.

And thanks Jill on the iris name! Do you have a list of the names from.that Fsk swap? I have a frilly purple one and a white one too from that. And thanks again for sharing the wealth some years ago!

Somewhere in, MD(Zone 7b)

Seq, wonderful Rhodie babies! In pic #2, what is that low-growing plant beneath the Kokardia? Looks sort of woodruff-y. No?

Sally, I think Judy mentioned about that photo (the concord grape) that that brighter-looking bloom looks that way due to the sun hitting it, but the blooms beneath are more the true shade.

Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

Jeff--

If i did ask you to change to a new thread--it wasn't for me.
I have a very powerful computer...my SIL built it for me.

Maybe i was just being thoughtful of some other people...

G.

Somewhere in, MD(Zone 7b)

Yeah G, that sounds like you.

Lititz, PA(Zone 6b)

Speedie, you're right on with it being a Sweet Woodruff. Good eye! Kokardia is my favorite from the ones we have

Frederick, MD

What shrub do I have here ? I assumed it was an azalea given it's on the north side of the home with several azaleas that have already bloomed. This one just started blooming. Just took this pic of these two blooms on this shrub.

Thumbnail by CAMfromMD
Lucketts, VA(Zone 7a)

Our latest blooming azaleas have blooms like the one on the left, and they are the gumpo variety. They are blooming now. Another azalea is pink and white, but some blooms are a solid hot pink and others are some variation of them. Supposed to be sort of a candy stripe, but that shrub decides to mix it up each year.

Lucketts, VA(Zone 7a)

Just googled and found this from a blog post dated 6/1/09 which shows a similar picture, 4th one down on the page.

http://howsweetthesound.typepad.com/my_weblog/2009/06/today-there-is-a-very-special-event-taking-place-it-is-rhondis-porch-party-rhondi-hosted-this-event-last-year-and-it-was.html

The caption for the picture:
Speaking of our Gumpo azaleas, just look at this one. It is the only one we have ever seen that has two different color blooms on the same plant.

Frederick, MD

Thanks... Guess that is an azalea after all. Cool.... Thanks!

Pequannock, NJ(Zone 6b)

Wow, that was a tough catch up. I'm three threads behind! So many beautiful blooms!

Lititz, PA(Zone 6b)

Cam, I believe your azalea is a Geisha Girl. We used to sell them at the nursery I used to work. It's hard to find anything online about them though.

Frederick, MD

Thanks.... whichever one it is, it's GORGEOUS. Can't wait for it to be in full bloom to see the varieties and pinks and whites that open up. Wow.

Kind of cool buying a home with established landscaping. When things start to bloom it's like Christmas day for several weeks !

those are good surprises!

Vienna, VA(Zone 7a)

Edited to say that I think this is Tradescantia 'Bilberry Ice'....not blue at all, I was picturing it wrong.
I like the color of Pat's favorite better.

This message was edited May 25, 2015 8:20 PM

Thumbnail by Muddy1

I think the darker Trads show off those nifty stamens better

Lititz, PA(Zone 6b)

You're right Sally. I have some NOID ones from last fall swap that haven't bloomed yet and I don't know what color they are. It's going to be a surpise. I have some lavender ones from Aspen and those are beautiful.

Lucketts, VA(Zone 7a)

I've also been slack on posting pics this year, so ditto the big thanks from Sally for all of you who are!

The things that I have blooming right now are tradescantia (some I bought, some from Sally, some named, some noids), blue eyed grass from Sally, peach leaved bellflower takion blue, silene from GT and ecnalg, peonies 'vivid rose', a few of the bearded iris are still going strong, siberian iris (some I bought, some from Sally, some from Muddy), clematis nirobe, centaurea montana from gardadore, a pink columbine from Holly, and probably some other odds and ends. I sure do love having the pass along plants in my garden and the thoughts of friends and good times whenever I see them blooming.

Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

Terri--

How re the Dwarf Iris doing that i gave you at the Swap?
Hope most of them bloomed. if not now--for sure next year.
G.

Thumbnail by Gitagal
Lucketts, VA(Zone 7a)

A few shrubs

1 - Azalea noID

2 - Stephanandra incisa 'Crispa' - Lace Shrub

3 - Viburnum dilatatum - Linden Viburnum

4 -Spirea x bumalda 'Gold Flame'

Thumbnail by greenthumb99 Thumbnail by greenthumb99 Thumbnail by greenthumb99 Thumbnail by greenthumb99
Lucketts, VA(Zone 7a)

Some flowers:

1 - Salvia officinalis 'Exracta' - culinary sage

2 - Papaver orientale 'Princess Victoria Louise' - Oriental Poppy

3 - Clematis 'Marmori'

4 - Oneothera speciosa - Showy Evening Primrose

5 - Arisaema dracontium - Green Dragon, an unusual, uncommon native Jack-In-The Pulpit species.

Thumbnail by greenthumb99 Thumbnail by greenthumb99 Thumbnail by greenthumb99 Thumbnail by greenthumb99 Thumbnail by greenthumb99

And the fabulous show goes on, greenthumb--fantastic!

Lititz, PA(Zone 6b)

Awesome GT! What cultivar is your V. dilatatum or is it the species? I like that salvia too.

Here are some pics from tonight:
Penstemon mexicali 'Pike's Peak Purple' -- this is fragrant to my surprise
Penstemon palmeri
same
Veronica austriaca
Penstemon barbatus 'Elfin Pink'

Thumbnail by Sequoiadendron4 Thumbnail by Sequoiadendron4 Thumbnail by Sequoiadendron4 Thumbnail by Sequoiadendron4 Thumbnail by Sequoiadendron4
Lititz, PA(Zone 6b)

Ratibida columnifera
Arnica montana
Coreopsis grandiflora Golden Ball (guessing)
Lupines

This message was edited May 26, 2015 9:38 PM

Thumbnail by Sequoiadendron4 Thumbnail by Sequoiadendron4 Thumbnail by Sequoiadendron4 Thumbnail by Sequoiadendron4 Thumbnail by Sequoiadendron4
Lititz, PA(Zone 6b)

Kalmia latifolia 'Yankee Doodle'
Pyracantha 'Mojave'
Painted daisy
Monarda bradburiana -- one of my new favorites
Chrysogunum virginiana 'Pierre'

Lititz, PA(Zone 6b)

KO roses coming online
Meehania cordata
"annual" dianthus X 2
Viburnum dilatatum 'Erie'

Vienna, VA(Zone 7a)

Nice photos, GT; I particularly like the one of your Oriental Poppy.

Sequoia, I never knew there were so many color variations in Penstemons; they're very pretty!
Lucky you to be able to grow Lupines; I don't think anyone one in our zone (except maybe ssg) had any luck with them. I sure didn't.

Isn't Monarda bradburiana great? I believe that I gave you plants that I grew from seeds I got from GT. I am starting to dead-head mine because it looks as if I'll get another wave of blooms that way. It's got beautiful foliage too, and deer don't eat it!

Lititz, PA(Zone 6b)

Yeah my monarda is just starting to come online, they probably are from you last fall. I even have some Lupine volunteers! I found two of them this spring when planting other things. I can still see the one but the other may be shaded by some larger plants by now.

Silver Spring, MD(Zone 7a)

I LOVE that Monarda bradburiana. I remember Muddy's pictures from a couple of weeks ago, too. And that mountain laurel is really temping. I was just thinking I need an evergreen shrub on the eastern side of the house.

GT, that's a really pretty primrose. Is Oneothera speciosa also called Mexican primrose? I once saw it in a garden and it was a bright pink. It looks like yours is more lavender.

Lucketts, VA(Zone 7a)

Its the native Lupinus perennis that our group has had such a poor track record on. I think the hybrids like Sequoia grows are more likely to survive. There are nearly 300 species of Penstemons and hundreds of hybrids and cultivars derived from them, yielding an amazing array of colors, combinations, and forms.

Edited to add: Yes, Oenothera speciosa is also known as Mexican Primrose. Mine is pink too. I think that the lighting at the time of taking the photo skewed the color a bit.

This message was edited May 26, 2015 10:20 PM

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

A few pics I took tonight. One of them is of my climbing Hydrangea, a Rode and the rest are different Irises.

Thumbnail by HollyAnnS Thumbnail by HollyAnnS Thumbnail by HollyAnnS Thumbnail by HollyAnnS Thumbnail by HollyAnnS
Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

A few more

Thumbnail by HollyAnnS Thumbnail by HollyAnnS Thumbnail by HollyAnnS Thumbnail by HollyAnnS Thumbnail by HollyAnnS

Gosh, so much gorgeousness!!

Jeff you have some very 'summery' things blooming already!

CAM are you taking noes on Iris to look for next Swap?

Frederick, MD

Sally... Would it be greedy to ask for one of each? :)

Heck no, one of each in this crowd is about par...Ok everybody, go quick label all your Iris! We're takin em to CAM's in fall! CAM you just need to decide how many different kinds you'll want.

Lititz, PA(Zone 6b)

Nice Iris Holly. It's amazing the coloring on some of them, just beautiful.

I winter sowed Lupinus perennis and got excellent germination. So far my seedlings are alive but they need to be transplanted into a larger pot.

Lucketts, VA(Zone 7a)

I agree with Sally about so much gorgeousness. And I really like her Tradescantia 'Bilberry Ice'. How cool that Sequoia has lupines, even volunteer ones, and all those different penstemons. That one you included a second view of almost looks like foxglove, although I realize it is not Great collection of iris, Holly. Did yours want to flop too, this year?

Lucketts, VA(Zone 7a)

I have successfully germinated Lupinus perennis several times, and started out with plug starts a time or two, but have never had them reach any size and return the next year. Must be something about the conditions in our yard. Very frustrating as I would love to have some. Perhaps I'll acquire a single plant and keep it in a pot on the deck where I can give it undue attention.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.