Weigela?

Lake Stevens, WA(Zone 8a)

I was out walking yesterday. A blooming shrub in dry shade under conifers was absolutely lovely. The owner was outside, so I asked her what it was. She said she got it from a roadside seller for $1, two years ago, no label. She thought it was a Weigela, and planted it next to a Weigela 'Wine and Roses' that has purple foliage but matching dark pink flowers. In the shade, the purple one sort of vanishes, but the variegated one just lights up the spot.
I did a little internet search, and I think this might be Weigela florida 'variegata' (not 'variegata nana' which is light pink). I have never grown Weigela, but the websites all say 'full sun' so I am not at all sure. They seemed so happy there under the redcedar tree. I have gloomy dry shade that could use something like this.
What do you think? I might want to get one, but don't know if it should go in sun or shade. Websites said 4-6 feet. Is that likely? I am getting very distrustful of listed shrub heights as everything seems to grow much bigger than planned....
The doggie was nice too, also lighting up the shade in a different way..

Thumbnail by Pistil Thumbnail by Pistil Thumbnail by Pistil
Scott County, KY(Zone 5b)

Definitely a variegated Weigela florida. That one looks to have a yellowish color complement to the green. There is a white/green variegated form as well, which might provide even more brightness to the understory.

I've never grown many of this species, so I can't offer a lot of opinion on siting nor have much to say about performance in the northwest region.

They don't like being mown off with the lawn tractor, and they'd prefer a bit richer/moister conditions than my B-horizon clay loams which dry/crack in summer.

Anne Arundel,, MD(Zone 7b)

I planted a cheapo Weigela many years ago (near 20?) in light shade, then also planted a home made Japanese maple near it. End being, Weiglea blooms ok every spring and currently around four feet tall and five wide. A rangy sort of open habit - I guess the dry shade limits the fullness of branches and flowers. And I take some out almost every year. It's so easy to prune just a couple. A touch of late day sun otherwise all shade from nearby maples and a Sycamore.

Cute pup!!

This message was edited May 26, 2015 7:51 PM

Lititz, PA(Zone 6b)

I have a Weigela floridus 'Sonic Bloom'. It's the red variety. I planted it late summer of '13. The site is sun from 10-2 during the summer. It didn't grow much last year but seems to be growing better this year. Fall color is unremarkable and so far mine has not rebloomed. Perhaps it needs to establish itself more.

(Robin) Blissfield, MI(Zone 6a)

Someone is looking for some lovin', I'm hoping she got some! I have Weigela 'My Monet' also a variegated, planted with early morning sun (mostly shade). This cultivar is very compact.

Thumbnail by Mipii Thumbnail by Mipii Thumbnail by Mipii
Lititz, PA(Zone 6b)

Very nice she is!

Eau Claire, WI(Zone 4a)

Mipii, what is it about 'My Monet' that led you to buy it?

It's a shrub.

The long version is; it's a beautiful shrub that's totally reminiscent of a Monet's painting. The leaves are green with heavy white variegation. The leaves are also stained with a blush of pink that comes and goes; changing throughout the growing season. The shrub is compact for a small space but gives the added beauty of blooms and plays perfectly off any color you wish to plant beside it. I actually bought five to line the Northeast side of my house and planted Bergenia 'Winter Glow' in between each. Here's a pic a few years ago, everything is a little bigger now.

Thumbnail by Mipii
Lititz, PA(Zone 6b)

Looks good there Mipii. Nice bright shade you have.

Eau Claire, WI(Zone 4a)

Agreed -- that looks very nice. Mipii, the reason I asked is my spouse has several of these scattered about the place and she can't seem to get enough of them. Don't get me wrong, I think it's a nice little shrub and when grown well (like yours) is eye catching. However, I can't help but think there's something else at play here. Could it be the name has something to do with this shrubs incredible popularity, especially with women? That probably sounds sexist, but women do tend to fall for artists...

I'm prepared for whatever smack down comes my way. ;)

Lititz, PA(Zone 6b)

Lol...I hope so Pseudo because I'm a dude and have a Weigela. I only got mine because it said it was a recurring bloomer. That was back in the day when I believed what tags said. I also believed in the Easter bunny back then too. At any rate, I still like it and it looks quite lovely.

Lol, Sequoia, Pseudo just doesn't get the attraction to that particular cultivar of Weigela.

Pseudo, the attraction is more than likely male/female inspired. 'My Monet' changes with the time of day and the season, it's a pastel masterpiece. Women are usually attracted to things that are considered 'pretty'. 'My Monet' is very pretty. So, no blasting and no smack-downs, you're right in your assumptions.

Contrary to current popular pseudo culture, there are dramatic differences between male and female species. I honor and greatly appreciate those differences...I am so grateful for my DH!

Lititz, PA(Zone 6b)

Lol...Ok. I could see where there would be attraction in the leaves. To me leaves are functional and secondary to flowers until autumn. I have very few variegated plants in our yard. Actually, I can think of 3 kinds. Everything else is a shade of green or has some maroon mixed in. So, personally I'm not big on variegated plants but different textures and shapes I appreciate more.

I agree with your tastes too, I just also like some variegation a bit more than you do. My problem...so many species, so little yard.

Lititz, PA(Zone 6b)

Yes, that is also my problem. My wife dislikes how much of the yard has disappeared. I think I've made the most of our tiny 1/4 acre so far though. My vision is that in 30 years or so the yard will be mostly garden and very little grass. Grass just wastes space... ;-)

My sentiments exactly : )

Lititz, PA(Zone 6b)

Spouses have a tough time with that concept I think ;-) Perhaps it's because they see more garden as less time spent with us..

I think my spouse's problem with it is the esthetic, not to mention the time and effort we both put in to make the grass as full, as green and as weed-free as possible. A straight expanse of grass is more pleasing to those that are more organized (likes order). My DH also mows the lawn and straight lines are his preference. I like curves and interest with my gardens, so it's a tough compromise.

Even though they like spending time with us, I think they secretly appreciate the effort we put in for upkeep to make it look good. Your time spent away from your spouse is probably a point of contention, my DH and I spend a lot of time together, we both work at home.

Lititz, PA(Zone 6b)

Oh well working at home would definitely help that situation! I mow the grass and appreciate straight lines but I also like the disorganization of garden beds being in the way.

I guess we more than adequately hijacked Pistil's thread....so sorry Pistil.

Anyway, I'd try growing it in shade if that's where you need something. If it doesn't bloom well enough or loses it's variegation then move it. I'm betting it will do well. I'm trying to root some cuttings of mine as we speak (so many women have asked for some) lol..really!

Lititz, PA(Zone 6b)

Oh my! My bad Pistil, I thought it was Mipii's thread.

Eau Claire, WI(Zone 4a)

Quote from Sequoiadendron4 :
Lol...I hope so Pseudo because I'm a dude and have a Weigela.

Really! Geesh, next you'll be telling me you eat quiche. No, seriously, I was referring only to the artistically named clone. I certainly wouldn't disparage the entire genus, although I have to admit it's way down the list of plants I lust for. But just to show you how inclusive I am, I planted three W. florida 'Minor Black'. I mean, c'mon, 'Minor Black' -- how could I resist that?

Gonna have to look that one up, sounds intriguing.

Lititz, PA(Zone 6b)

Lol...'Minor Black'

I wouldn't have even known how to spell 'quiche' if you hadn't already spelled it for me.

Lake Stevens, WA(Zone 8a)

I don't consider this a hijack event-I enjoy it. I have been on vacation for a week, just got caught up. I never thought about Weigela before and I am learning.

Eau Claire, WI(Zone 4a)

This one was standing out at the curb shamelessly flashing itself at me.

Thumbnail by Pseudo

Weigela x Wanton Woman™...

Eau Claire, WI(Zone 4a)

This horticulture industry needs more of that!

Sounds like an invasive...

At least promiscuous...

In the red flower district, I should think so...lol.

Eau Claire, WI(Zone 4a)

Here's the much less flashy 'Minor Black'.

Thumbnail by Pseudo

I like it!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.