Trees, Shrubs and Conifers: Weigela?, 1 by Pistil

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright Pistil

Subject: Weigela?

Forum: Trees, Shrubs and Conifers

<<< Previous photoNext photo >>>
Photo of Weigela?
Pistil wrote:
I was out walking yesterday. A blooming shrub in dry shade under conifers was absolutely lovely. The owner was outside, so I asked her what it was. She said she got it from a roadside seller for $1, two years ago, no label. She thought it was a Weigela, and planted it next to a Weigela 'Wine and Roses' that has purple foliage but matching dark pink flowers. In the shade, the purple one sort of vanishes, but the variegated one just lights up the spot.
I did a little internet search, and I think this might be Weigela florida 'variegata' (not 'variegata nana' which is light pink). I have never grown Weigela, but the websites all say 'full sun' so I am not at all sure. They seemed so happy there under the redcedar tree. I have gloomy dry shade that could use something like this.
What do you think? I might want to get one, but don't know if it should go in sun or shade. Websites said 4-6 feet. Is that likely? I am getting very distrustful of listed shrub heights as everything seems to grow much bigger than planned....
The doggie was nice too, also lighting up the shade in a different way..