Prices for Tomato Plants

Trumbull, CT(Zone 7a)

I'm new to this and was surprised to find a pretty good selection of the plants that I wanted at local supermarkets, Home Depot, Lowes, and Walmart, and I figured the price would be the best. I was usually able to find fairly hearty plants also.
This year none of them had Super Sweet 100 which is the main type that I want to plant and typically the prices are about $3 to $4 per plant depending on the size of the pot.
I thought that the local farms/greenhouses would be more expensive and two of them also did not have Super Sweet 100 but their price was 4 plants for $2.99! So much for the big box stores being cheap!
One local spot had very hearty looking Super Sweet 100 plants that were about the diameter of a pencil and a foot tall some of the best I've seen, 3 for $2.29. The pot and root ball was tiny but I expect that they'll take off if I plant a good amount of the stem below the soil.

I will be shopping at this local farm again next year.

This message was edited May 21, 2015 1:47 PM

Bordentown, NJ(Zone 7a)

You could also try craigslist to find people who grow tomato seedlings themselves and sell their extras fairly inexpensively at their curbside to make a little extra money. (I do that.) Home Depot, WalMart and Lowes charge quite a bit for their Bonnie brand plants.

Snellville, GA(Zone 7b)

I've notice that also. One year they will have a variety and the next none. Somehow I think the BIG nurseries are being compensated by companies like Monsanto, Bonnie, etc to produce certain varieties not by popular demand but by marketing. Either this or the seeds once available that have been bought by BIG Ag are either too expensive or just not available. Best to stick with smaller outlets or home growers if you can.

Trumbull, CT(Zone 7a)

More good ideas, thank you both!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.