June Garden Party Gala at Yehudith's

silver spring, MD(Zone 7a)

Thank you Gardener for prodding me to finalize plans. This is a good time to keep me from strangling my daughter who's balking at practicing her piano.

OK here goes.

The date is June 28 (Sunday)

We'll supply the eats. Hubby will man the grill (I make a killer Jerk chicken) and a couple yeshivah girls (please please please) will fill in as waitresses.

Extra soda or bags of ice are welcome, beer is not forbotten

You supply the happy guests ( extra chairs, TV trays, card tables etc are very much appreciated, we're kinda low on those)

Kids are welcome

This is a pet friendly garden (read my girls rule the garden and go where they want) so non-vicious pets are allowed, my girls love play dates. I do draw the line at snakes.

A forgiving heart is much appreciated as this garden has been started from scratch and is a work in progress.

So, ya'll please come and don't forget your big garden hats and flowery dresses.

Yehudith and family.

Silver Spring, MD(Zone 7a)

Thanks for starting the thread, Yehudith! I need to go look for that big floppy hat...

Anne Arundel,, MD(Zone 7b)

Wonderful invitation!

Vienna, VA(Zone 7a)

Yehudith, what time were you thinking?

I forgot to add the times! OK. I was thinking around 3p.m. to 6ish. My back is mostly in shade by then so we won't roast. Front faces straight west. We could do earlier if that would work better.

Yehudith

Vienna, VA(Zone 7a)

That time's fine with me; it's generous of you to organize this so you should set the time!

In case the guys don't ask this, what's the dress code for those who don't wear garden party dresses? (Guys, don't get me wrong; if you want to show up in dresses I'm all for it !)

CCricket jackets and white flannels with a club tie would be nice : ). Seriously kakis and polo shirts are fine. The point is were going to have fun together and G-d willing I'll have my garden together in time.

Could everyone who's planning on coming please let me know. Let me know if you have any allergies, I'm getting the menu together as we speak and I want to make sure everyone can partake of everything.

Me yes. One . No allergies

I'll be there! Just me, no hubby. I don't eat beef or pork, but there's usually plenty of other things to eat.

I'll also be bringing some fennel for Sally. And maybe some beer!

Note to self: also bring Jill's tall asters, hosta Francee and noid for Catbird, and forest grass for coleup; bring chair

This message was edited Jun 8, 2015 12:01 PM

I'll be happy to bring something too, and thanks ssg!

Odenton, MD(Zone 7b)

I would like to come, will be just me, and I am not allergic to anything.

Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

Bummer--I work on Sundays. Will miss this! Gita

I was planning on something like Jerk chicken, green salad, potatoe salad and corn on the cob with water melon and fruit salad for desert. How does that sound? I can add chicken dogs if anyone is partial to them.

Now out to the eternal weed war. I don't have problems with bugs, my problem thanks to the birds is weeds. Over abundant self sewn flowers I can say "oh well..." to no matter where they end up, but the weeds are another story. The back yard is the worst because of all the trees. Stop complaining woman and get out there and work!

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

Ric and I are planning on attending. Thanks

Frederick, MD

Thank you for the invitation. I will plan on attending and will be glad to bring a dish.

Thanks again !

Lucketts, VA(Zone 7a)

Yehudith, count me in too. I'm hoping to ride over with Jill, but she is still coordinating plans with family and isn't sure of her schedule. If she can't make it, I'll plan to ride over on my own.

Damascus, MD(Zone 7a)

Thank you for hosting the party, Yehudith. I will be coming alone.

About food, I am not allergic to anything, and can always find more than what I can eat and eat more than what I ought to, LOL!

Would you like me to bring some tea sandwiches? Or maybe an English Trifle?

We'll be supplying the food so don't worry about bringing anything. If you like you can bring drinks.

Yehudith, do you want us to bring chairs?

Vienna, VA(Zone 7a)

yehudith, please count me in too (just one)! I don't have any allergies.

I'll bring some drinks; I'm thinking Mike's Hard Lemonade.

Chairs!!! Yes please! TV trays or card tables if you have them would be welcome too. Thanks for the reminder.

Lucketts, VA(Zone 7a)

Yehudith, I'm going to have to pass on the party next weekend after all. I'm sure a good time will be had by all :-)

Hi everyone. You know I was thinking, in view of the miserable heat would it be better to move the party to a bit earlier in the day? We could do that or move it to early evening. I think earlier would be better as far as temperature and shade are concerned. I'll leave it to you.

Frederick, MD

Supposed to cool off considerably by the weekend. High temps on Sunday in the mid to upper 70s. Besides, moving it up means direct sun in the back yard, right ? Now, if you want to have it at 7:00 A.M., as an early riser, I would be in favor. hahaha

No, the sun hits my backyard around 2 o'clock or so. That's OK, there's still shade back under the trees where I haven't planted yet.

Frederick, MD

Ok.... Thought I had read your house faces west, which would put the back yard in late afternoon and evening shade. Either way, Not to be a smoldering day like today. :)

yeh the front faces west and we have trees in the back to the east. I was worried because no trees to the south so when the sun clears the trees we get hit with the sun. I forgot the sun was higher in the summer so we are out of the shade sooner and in the sun longer. The deck will be in the shade in the early afternoon so it will be OK.

Frederick, MD

Cool ! Pun intended. :)

Do we have the address dmailed yet? Did it get buried in my dmail? I think Mark is coming too. He doesn't want to skip two events in a row and have us talking about him haha

annapolis, MD(Zone 7b)

Sally, if I am able to make it to this gala might I hitch a ride with you and Mark?

Odenton, MD(Zone 7b)

Yes Sally, will you drive the car pool?

We would love your company for the ride, coleup and Catbird!

Anyone want a Maypop vine?

Vienna, VA(Zone 7a)

Yes, I would love one.

I have suckers coming up; I'll dig some

This message was edited Jun 28, 2015 3:23 AM

Thanks, I have noted it. You might not want to leave it as public information forever though.

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

What time did we finally decide on????
Really looking forward to seeing everyone.

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

Agree, I think it's better/safer to send out a Dmail "blast" to the list of people planning to come. You can include Under your "preferences," you'll find a link called something like "manage your friends and groups." There, you can create a group of usernames. Then go to dmail and "compose" a blast "to one of your groups."

Wish I could be in 2 places at once! My brother & his family were able to come down for the weekend, so we're enjoying having them here.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.