Basil or Mint

Peachtree City, GA(Zone 8a)

I somehow have lost or forgotten to tag this herb. Is it a lemon mint or a lemon basil? Since it is not going crazy like my other mints I'm thinking it is a basil.

Thumbnail by weeding
Somewhere in, MD(Zone 7b)

That definitely looks like a basil to me. The lemon basil leaf is relatively smoother than the mint leaf.

Cleveland,GA/Atlanta, GA(Zone 7b)

Mint family has squarish, four sided stems.

Cascade, VA(Zone 7a)

i would normally say that it would be as easy as pinching a leaf and having a smell....but with both varieties being "lemon" im not so sure about that, lol

Madison, AL(Zone 7b)

Basil is also a mint, so it will have square stems, too.

Yes, that's true. I also think it is basil.

Liberty Hill, TX(Zone 8a)

Wow, now Im confused.

Madison, AL(Zone 7b)

When I say basil is a mint, it's in the Lamiaceae "mint" family. The whole family has square stems, and includes a marge number of our culinary herbs. So having square stems doesn't mean it's not a basil versus one of the minty type mints.

If it tastes and smells good, use it. Everything in the Lamiaceae is edible in smaller flavoring-type doses.

FWIW, it looks like lemon mint (Monarda citriodora) to me. Wait for it to flower, and it should become clear.

SE Houston (Hobby), TX(Zone 9a)

My guess is lemon basil. Mint stems tend to be "hairy..." Yes? No?

Madison, AL(Zone 7b)

Quote from Gymgirl :
My guess is lemon basil. Mint stems tend to be "hairy..." Yes? No?

Some are, some aren't. It's a big family.

I guess every family has some members with more hairy stems and some with less hairy, no? heeheeheee

:)

SE Houston (Hobby), TX(Zone 9a)

LOL!

Magnolia, TX(Zone 9a)

Lemon basil. Not lemon mint. Mints edges are more serrated. Adding: mint is usually a little fuzzier/ hairy as well.

This message was edited May 26, 2015 3:47 AM

I wonder if weeding is enjoying the responses. :)

I am! :)

Oh goodie! And I hope we've been helpful (and entertaining) for you. =)

Pueblo, CO(Zone 5b)

It looks like Lemon Basil to me. By lemon mint, did you mean lemon balm ( Melissa)? Great fragrance - you might want to try it, too. Lemon Mint should have a hint of mint under the citrus smell, lemon basil will not. And it should be sending up new shoots from the roots, again lemon basil won't. You might want to complete your collection with Lemon Thyme!

I always plant scented basil next to my tomatos. It attracts beneficial insects which help protect the tomatos but that is just a bonus. My real reason is that I love tomatos but do not like the way the plants smell. The basil makes hunting around in that area much more pleasant.

Quote from pollengarden :
It looks like Lemon Basil to me. By lemon mint, did you mean lemon balm ( Melissa)? .

I meant lemon mint. I also have lemon balm and lemon thyme. One of my lemony plants died and it must have been the lemon mint.

Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

I grew lemon basil a few years ago & it really thrived. I mean it came up even in the gravel path we used to have in the backyard! Cut any flowers quick unless you want a big family!

It finally bloomed and is lemon basil.

Yummy! :)

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.