seed germination in cocopeat

india, India

Hello

I just want to do some experiment in my home. I want to germinate seed in mix of perlite vermiculite and coco peat. I don't have enough knowledge. I don't know how much per-lite, vermiculite and coco peat I have to use

I have attached pictures that I am going to use ?
1 seed growing try (2x4)
Top diameter 35 mm
bottom diameter 20 mm
height 30 mm

2. per-lite,
3. vermiculite
4. coco peat

please look my attachment and tell me what ratio coco peat : vermiculite : per-lite, i need to mix in try ?

Thumbnail by abhi43 Thumbnail by abhi43
Calgary, AB(Zone 3b)

What are you attempting to find out in the experiment? Or are you simply trying to germinate some seeds?

india, India

Thanks for your help
I am trying to germinate some seeds of chillies. can you tell me I don't know how much per-lite, vermiculite and coco peat I need to mix in one cup of trays

Everett, WA(Zone 8a)

I think the ratio depends on how coarse (how large) the particles are.

If that is very coarse Perlite, coarse vermiculite and coarse coconut coir, it won't matter very much because you will have OK drainage and aeration.

However, if the coco coir and vermiculite are fine or medium, you will need more Perlite to open up air spaces and reduce the amount of water retained.

My personal preference is to MAKE SURE that the mix lets air diffuse in freely. Thus any fine, water-pertaining ingredient like peat moss or fine coconut coir makes me worry a lot so that I would use a lot of Perlite to prevent waterlogged roots from rotting - maybe as much as 40-50% Perlite.

Personally, I use evergreen bark shreds, like pine bark or fir bark, to be the "coarse, chunky" ingredient. Then I use finer bark to be the water-retaining ingredient.

If a seedling mix doesn't hold enough water, I just water it more often or set it into a tray with some absorbent fabric in the bottom, and keep that fabric moist (bottom-watering).

Good luck! Please let us know what you decide and how your experiment turns out.

http://allthingsplants.com/ideas/view/RickCorey/646/Bottom-Watering-Seedling-Trays-with-Cotton-Flannel-Prevents-Water-Logging/

http://allthingsplants.com/ideas/view/RickCorey/652/Adding-Screened-Bark-to-Potting-Mix/

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.