PLANT ADDICTS CHAT #6

Vienna, VA(Zone 7a)

Do you have Elderberries? My Sambucus canadensis haven't bloomed yet, but I've read that they have a strong scent that some people like and others don't.

Silver Spring, MD(Zone 7a)

Yes, I just got Sambucus 'Black Lack!' It's pretty small so it may not bloom this year.

I think I've seen it nurseries while it was in bloom, but I don't remember it having a noticeable scent.

annapolis, MD(Zone 7b)

SSG is that your Dwarf Mock Orange?

As far as 'scented' plants, think again about one of those deciduous Azaleas you have been resisting for some June/July perfume. One of the Clethra (Summer Sweet) might work. Do a smell test when in bloom as one of mine was more fulsome, but can't remember which. Also, one of the Joe Pye shorter garden varieties is super fragrant...I think 'Phantom' but could have been "Little Joe". For a nice finish in Fall, 'Sweet Autumn Clematis ' is a great wafter and can fill vertical or horizontal space (along the top of a fence...) or even intertwine.

Even though they are 'bulbs', a couple clumps of tuberose or some fragrant Acidanthera might be nice. HD has bulbs on clearance 50% off. 40 acidanthera for $5. They are rated hardy zone 7 - 10 and can be grown in a pot or the garden.
http://gardening123.com/articles/display_article.asp?MS=6&SS=60&ID=102307

Lucketts, VA(Zone 7a)

The oriental lilies are usually very fragrant. Some people really like the scent, others feel it is over powering and not in a pleasant way LOL. I like the scent. You have to watch out though when doing the sniff test - that orange "stuff" in the petals can really stain the tip of your nose he he he. One of you more scientific types, please correct my loose term of that orange "stuff".

Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

SS--
Do you still grow any brugs? They release the nicest fragrance in the evenings...
especially, Dr. Seuss...

Anne Arundel,, MD(Zone 7b)

Clerodendron aka Peanut butter shrub! Summer, very fragrant, cool unusual flowers and berries! But it does sucker. Really fast growing too. Stick to small tree while your back is turned.
I second Clethra.
I didn't like my species wild Elderberry scent.

I love Acidanthera and Datura scent but you said shrub/tree right? I don't love Tuberose, so spindly.

Lucketts, VA(Zone 7a)

Not a shrub, of course, but I would agree that the Oriental lilies have a wonderful scent. Not only will they stain your nose from the pollen, but your clothing as well if it falls on any. Also, if you pick any flowers, the pollen can fall on a tablecloth or countertop below and potentially stain. Star Gazer is a favorite, both for scent and appearance.

I'm loving these suggestions! I'm looking for perennials and/or shrubs so both are fine; just not interested in annuals.

Yes, coleup, it's the mock orange I got from you! The scent is heavenly!

I did get a clethra last year, but I got it late in the season and didn't realize the blooms were fragrant! What a bonus! :) Hm, I think I have 'Little Joe,' but it's definitely not fragrant. I've never heard of Acidanthera before. Pretty blooms!

Gita I've grown both Dr. Seuss and a noid pink brug from you, but neither has had much of a scent for me. I'm growing them again this year and hopefully this year will be different.

I have oriental lilies but I don't notice any fragrance from them at all. Maybe I don't have enough, or maybe they're all hybrids...?

I'm kind of afraid of both the sweet autumn clematis peanut butter shrub. As you can see in the other thread's pictures, I have a lot of plants close together, and not a lot of space. :)

Somewhere in, MD(Zone 7b)

Ssg, yesterday I was "introduced" to someone who just might work out wonderfully for you in that situation. His name is Charles "Peony" Burgess. He should only get to about 3' tall, 2 1/2' wide, and produce some GORGEOUS, and wonderfully scented, deep red blooms. I also met his cousin (who, by the way, is also named "Charles Burgess"), and talked myself into bringing him home yesterday... it took all of about 3 seconds. ;)

This addiction has just GOT to stop, I really seriously need help.... right after I get those 3 Galium Odoratum that I've got my eye on. < =D

Frederick, MD

Does Mr. Speedie know you're picking up all the handsome young guys ?

NO, sshhhhh, don't tell on me!! < =) I figure he shouldn't mind since this handsome young guy is only about 2 feet tall, HA!!

Frederick, MD

Hahaha.. I'm sure your husband feels very secure and doesn't mind the frequent affairs you have with the little green guys. :) Would be nice though if every now and then one of them would pick up the tab. Haha

And wash his truck and take out the trash. =) ... Saayyy, that gives me an idea.. on my day off Wednesday, I think I'll surprise him and wash his truck. Ssshhh, don't tell him, it'll be a surprise! =)

Frederick, MD

Secret is safe with me, especially since I don't know his name, phone number, address or even what he looks like. Hahaha. Very sweet gesture too.... no wonder he puts up with your romantic forays with the little green guys.

His name is "Darling" and, of course, the number is #1! < =D
(and, you don't know the HALF of what the poor dear puts up with with me, heeheeheeee)

Frederick, MD

I'm sure Darling Husband adores you and sees them only as cute little habits. :)

Speedie, I wish we livd closer! I have plenty of Galium odoratum to share with you.

Meadow farms is having a sale on pine bark fines. Time to stock up!

good to know! i use it in potting. A lot cheaper than potting mix and many plants seem very happy. Been going about half each.

Not with fines, but I'm thinking of going from "infrequently mowed weedy shade paths' to 'mulched paths' back around the vegetable and shade garden, back corner. I keep fighting the weeds in the path creeping out into all the planted areas.

But there's so much barren strawberry and wild violets back there, that I think have to be pulled before I bother to mulch. Is there any better way to deal with it? I wondered if I could slit the mulch bags down both side and bottom, filet them lengthwise so to speak, and lay the plastic out and spread the mulch. It seems like that would smother a nice path a couple feet wide and 5-6 feet long.

Vienna, VA(Zone 7a)

Thanks, ssg; I always need more pine fines.

Sally, that could make for a slippery path unless you put lots of mulch down. How about using lots of newspaper instead? 8 sheets should kill anything under it.

I guess newspaper would be just as easy. Either HD or Lowes has five bags for ten bucks mulch- was looking at both sites last night.

Any body going to want plain medium pink, old variety peonies? I have plenty, thinking I will reduce them. No scent
X^P
Or blue or light pink creeping phlox? Might get some chunks as I trim them.

Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

Sally--

I could use a couple of 'chunks" 9with roots!) of the creeping Phlox.
I don't have any blue ones--just the hot pink.

Trying to establish some in the front-bend of my YUK bed--bit the soil there
is so dry--and I never take care of it... :o(

I am still a bit upset that neither of my two Verbena candadensis survived.
It never even came up! I planted it in 2 decent places---nothing!
I had visions of the blooms spreading left and right in my beds....

What's the secret? Thanks--G.

annapolis, MD(Zone 7b)

Psst Sally, I know where you can get as much path paper with news on it that you want and it can be delivered within an hourof you calling me up...yep, even today! Min order 5 sheets.

coleup
X^D
you must know I still subscribe, can't abandon the carriers!

Gita, I'll be happy to save these for you. I find it better if I pot them and grow them awhile. I'd be happy to take a small chunk of hot pink off your hands, if a chunk of that becomes handy.

Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

Sally--

My Creeping Phlox is just in it's 2nd year. There are no chunks to be had.....sorry.

I'll keep an eye out for some hot pinks as I cruises round.

Picked these up at Chapel Hill today. Mix and match--$3 each, Tray of 8--$20,
all Annuals.

1--Superbena--looks a lot like veerbena
2--Osteospermum Daisies
3--Million Bells--they had every color
4--Thunbergia Vine-yelow
5--small petunas-Yell. lantanas and some heliatropes.

They have really nice plants. looks like everything is by PW.

Thumbnail by Gitagal Thumbnail by Gitagal Thumbnail by Gitagal Thumbnail by Gitagal Thumbnail by Gitagal

Gita, no problem, and do not buy one for me. Not that driven. It was just a thought after seeing hot pink ones this spring.

Lucketts, VA(Zone 7a)

Gita, Superbenas are a Proven Winners line of Verbena hybrids.

Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

Yes, David--it so stated on the tag.

I am hoping these will spread and grow for the summer.
Sadly--they are annuals. Any chance they may come back next year?

G.

Lucketts, VA(Zone 7a)

Well, that's why it "looks a lot like Verbena."

Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

I get it! I get it! g.

Haahahahaaa, I can just see and hear Gita now, "Yessss, I underrrrrstand about the Superrrrbenas!!" < =D LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!

Man oh man Sally, now is REALLY a time I wish I lived closer to you, I would absolutely LOVE one of those peonies, scent or no scent. Not sure what it is, but I have, of late, completely fallen in love with those things, and though I know I shouldn't, I keep my own bed(s) in mind when ordering at work. Tsk tsk. ;)

Ssg, God bless your beautiful heart, I wish we lived closer too, I would take you up on that generous offer, and find something of my own that I could share with you too! ♥ I'm thinking that for now I should just let what I've got grow up and fill in, THEN see what else I could fit in there. And I REALLY need to prune back that Catmint, it is totally out of control; it's spread so wide ya can't even see one of the tomato plants that's in front of it! < =0

Lititz, PA(Zone 6b)

I love my catmint! It's such a showoff and needs zero attention. Mine is the 'Walker's Low' variety. It's probably about 3' in diameter because it lays out a bit but it is about 18" in tall in the center.

Sweet score on the annuals G, very nice selections you have there :-)

speedie, I will remember, maybe it can happen this fall. I mean, that I get to bring it down there,not that you move! We almost stopped by on Saturday, but it would have added an hour to our travel and we were on our way home from kayaking at Mattawoman Creek.

Oh Sally, it would have been so great to see you, but I understand, I really do live on the south end of nowhere. < =/ I'll try to help you remember in the Fall. ;) My work schedule, for now, is such that I get every other Saturday off, but I was there this past Sat. Sooooo looking forward to this Sat. off, finally!

Jeff, I love my Catmint also, and it too is Walker's Low, I just wish I'd realized how wiiiiide it was gonna get, hahaha! I gave her a bit of a pruning back yesterday and now she's nice and tidy. After I was all done out there yesterday I realized that I never did get pics of all the new babies I'd installed, and I did get that Otto Luyken removed, raked/shoveled up mulch and leaves n' stuff, and then sprayed the area with Neem. Pooor Otto, he was a MESS! :( I think, in the Fall, I'll find a totally different spot for that other one in the other bed, and just, solely, have tall and airy stuff in both of those beds.

Does anyone here in zone 7 grow loropetalum? How do they handle our winters? It looks like we're at the very northern edge for them. Do they bloom well for us? I was looking at the cultivar 'Sizzling Pink.'

I know Seq has posted pictures of his mountain laurels but I don't think I've seen any other pics here. Does anyone else grow them? Is there a cultivar you'd recommend?

I've been avoiding garden centers because the temptation is just too much, and I'm pretty much done for the season. But I saw Ligularia 'Britt Marie Crawford' at Lowe's today and was *this* close to buying it. What a pretty little plant. Does anyone grow this one?

Vienna, VA(Zone 7a)

I haven't grown any of those plants, ssg, but my neighbor has a old, large mountain laurel that has survived with zero TLC. It is on a slope against the north-facing side of their house, in a fairly exposed spot. It's blooming now. I would say it gets part sun.

Speaking of hardiness...it's looks as if my Canna 'Australia' has kicked the bucket, so Holly don't bother planting the pot I gave you! It's rated for zones 7-10 and has survived just fine for 3-4 years, but I think the wet weather this past winter did it in. The roots were rotten.

On the plus side, that made it much easier to plant what I wanted to put in that area...a Baptisia 'Alba'. I was all prepared to have to dig out a huge Canna root mass and all I encountered was mush.

ssg- coleup gave me a Loropetalum last year but it did not survive that winter, Only one report though, so I don't know if you can put much weight in my one single experience.

Mountain Laurel- I read it does not transplant well, so have never been tempted. Very common around me in the woods though.

Canna- I left big old red ones in the ground piled with pine needles, and have not seen any sign of a return. Booo.

a drooping Leucothoe here is much more Drooping than Leucothoe right now. Looks awful!

Muddy, no sign of my cannas, either, and they overwintered fine the previous year. It may have been too wet this winter. I'm thinking about planting a hardy hibiscus in its spot.

It's interesting that my calla lilies have returned, but not the cannas!

Sally, I'd also read that mountain laurels didn't transplant well, but Paul told me they did fine so I'm going to try it.

Too bad about that loropetalum. I figured we were just a smidge too cold for them.

Lititz, PA(Zone 6b)

I would LOVE to have a loropetalum if I lived in a zone hardy for it. In regards to the mountain laurel, mine has grown so slowly that I regret buying it. At least I might have gone for the straight species, maybe that'd have had a better growing potential. It sure does put out the blooms though, so it's no slouch in that department. The only reason I really give a darn about the growth rate is that the rhodis next to it might over grow it at some point. I don't know, it's one of those 'wish I knew before' situations.

Vienna, VA(Zone 7a)

I think it was the wetness that did it in.
This past winter was hard on one of my Crape Myrtles, too... a dark-pink flowered one that might be 'Tuskegee'. The half of it that is most exposed to the elements doesn't have many leaves yet and some branches might have died.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.