Blossom Thumping

San Marcos, TX(Zone 8b)

Well, barring a disastrous hailstorm it looks like I'll be eating fresh tomatoes pretty soon. All three varieties have tiny little tomatoes forming. I just finished my daily routine of "blossom thumping" which in our recent period of intermittent showers and high humidity is an absolute necessity for fruit set. I don't recall who in Dave's Garden first suggested this practice but it's been invaluable for me here in central Texas.

Cascade, VA(Zone 7a)

i actually swear by doing that, myself

Peachtree City, GA(Zone 8a)

I'm a thumper and a shaker of tomato and pepper blooms.

Coos Bay, OR(Zone 9a)

Me too. I read that a long time ago and have been amazed at what a big difference it made even in my cool summer PNW garden. Now I get lots of lovely ripe tomatoes, quite early, when before I was happy with a few. Well....maybe not too happy because we really Love heirloom garden ripe tomatoes. Makes my mouth water to write this.
I did not know to shake pepper blooms. That's a new one and I will try that too. Thanks for the tip.

Liberty Hill, TX(Zone 8a)

You can shake the plants you don't need to do each individual flower. It's been so windy here I can't imagine me shaking the plants could improve pollination. Lol This works for all plants that are self pollinating such as Eggplant and Beans.

Coos Bay, OR(Zone 9a)

Hmm...We have lots of wind here too. Every spring and summer we have wind. But, those tomatoes still seem to need the extra love tap. I don't shake the plant, I just flick the blossom. Works pretty good.

Cascade, VA(Zone 7a)

and i had no idea it could be done with eggplant and beans!

Liberty Hill, TX(Zone 8a)

Whatever works for you is the best way to do it. : )

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.