Help!

Orange, TX(Zone 8b)

I have the worst looking tomatoes ever? I live in Orange, TX, & have had 200% over our usual rainfall and the coolest spring in years & a hail storm!. Do I rip it all out & start over? Suggestions? Poor leaves, few flowers. Have fertilized, checked for bugs & fungus. Nothing. Poor performance this year.

Yellville, AR(Zone 6b)

Whether or not to rip them all out and start over would all depend on the cause of the problems. No way to know that with the info provided.

Photos would help evaluate how bad they are and what the problem may be. Hail damage usually recovers when the weather cooperates. Fungus infections, VERY common with cool and wet weather, not so much inclined to recover without aggressive treatment with fungicides. Those I would get rid off.

Few flowers can easily be from the weather but is more often due to over-fertilization. Perhaps if you lay off the fertilizers for a bit those plants will recover as well. Stressed and damaged plants don't need the additional stress of fertilizers. Given the info you have posted I might be tempted to remove the worst damaged ones and replace them to insure at least some crop later on. But I'd let the rest of the plant be and monitor them closely for improvement.

Dave

Peachtree City, GA(Zone 8a)

My tomatoes were not at their best for the same reason. We have had 5 day of no rain now and they are looking much better. If they do not look diseased I would not tear them out.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.