Unable to Germinate + Seed Giveaway

Miami, FL

I am unable to germinate these seeds no matter what I try. It is really irking me as I don't like not succeeding at something, so I need some help. The species is aconitum napellus, or monkshood.

So, send me your address or PO box if you are paranoid, and I will mail you about 50 seeds, with the only cost being how you got them to germinate if indeed you did. I am trying indoors since where I live doesn't really have a season. I have tried every method on the internet I can find since about a year ago. I have tried two companies different seeds, in case it was a seed problem.

techiejohnathan@gmail.com is my email.

Thank you very much!

Calgary, AB(Zone 3b)

Aconitum seeds usually require stratification to break down germination inhibitors.

Natick, MA

altagardener is right. Have you tried the "fridge method" as below:

Commonly called monkshood, Aconitum napellus is a perennial plant grown for its lacy, light green foliage and tall spikes of bluish-purple flowers. Although the plants can survive throughout U.S. Department of Agriculture plant hardiness zones 4 to 8, they are sensitive to temperature extremes and must be grown under shade in warmer areas. Monkshood grows reliably from seeds when they are exposed to cold temperatures for several weeks to break their dormancy. This can be accomplished by sowing the seeds directly in the garden in autumn, or by cold-stratifying them before sowing indoors.
Sponsored Link
Produce Green Electricity
California Homeowners. Reduce Your Electricity Bill. Sign Up Today!
www.firststepsolar.com
How to Grow Aconitum Napellus From the Seed Indoors
Put on rubber gloves when handling monkshood seeds since all parts of plant are highly toxic and the poison can easily be absorbed through the skin.
Place monkshood seeds in a plastic bag filled with moistened paper towel 10 weeks before the last spring frost. Chill them in a refrigerator for three weeks before sowing.
Fill 3-inch starter pots with perlite-enhanced potting soil. Trickle water into each pot until the soil feels saturated and the water dribbles from the drainage holes at the base.
Sow one monkshood seed in each pot. Bury the seeds at a 1/16-inch depth. Cover them with a very loose layer of soil. Mist the soil heavily to settle it rather than firming it with your fingers.
Place the starter pots on a lightly shaded windowsill where temperatures stay between 55 to 60 F. Shield the pots from direct afternoon sun since to keep the soil from drying out too quickly.
Maintain constant moisture in the top 1/2 inch of soil using a spray bottle. Water whenever the soil feels barely moist on the surface to prevent it from completely drying out.
Watch for germination in approximately one month. Decrease watering slightly after the monkshood seeds germinate. Allow the top 1/4 inch of soil to dry out before adding more water.
Transplant the monkshood seedlings into a partly shaded bed with moist, fast-draining soil one week after the last frost. Space the plants 1 to 2 feet apart. Mulch heavily between the plants.

Miami, FL

I have tried that, I seem to not have any luck. I am not sure if using tap water effects the seeds, I am moistening the paper towel with water from the faucet. The one thing I haven't done is leave them in the paper towel, THEN put them in the fridge for 3 weeks I have always just put them right into the cold. While I try this the offer still stands for anybody willing to help out or wants seeds.

Everett, WA(Zone 8a)

>> The one thing I haven't done is leave them in the paper towel, THEN put them in the fridge for 3 weeks

"Cold, moist" stratification requires moist AND cold.
If you wet them down at room temperature, that won't work.
If you're chilling them DRY in a fridge, that won't work.

They need to be in a moist paper towel, in the fridge.

It also sounds like the seeds have a short shelf life.

I wonder if Aconitum needs an unusual kind of stratification?

Tom Clothier says:
http://tomclothier.hort.net/page02.html

Aconitum anthora, x arendsii, carmiichaelii, cammarum, lamarckii, napellus, septentrionale, variegatum, and vulparia ,

Sow at 18-22ºC (64-71ºF) for 2-4 wks,
move to -6 to -7ºC (19-21ºF) for 4-6 wks,
move to 5-12ºC (41-53ºF) for germination
Short viable

Dr. Deno says:

• Aconitum (Ranunculaceae). A. napellus seeds received in December
were all dead and quickly rotted.
A. vulparia received at the same time did germinate
2/33, but the seedlings quickly rotted as did the rest of the seed. These results confirm
the conclusion that Aconitum seeds have high death rates in DS and that most of the
seeds distributed are dead. Note that seed of A. wilsoni collected fresh from our own
planting germ. readily at 40 in high percentage, but quickly died in DS.

There is only a small percentage of commercial seeds that are distributed dead.
As expected these are species with high death rates in dry storage. Aconitums and
Corydalis are examples, and these are perhaps the two genera whose seed are most often dead when sold.
Probably one should avoid purchasing seeds of these genera unless special provisions have been made for immediate delivery.

RANUNCULACEAE. Aconitum, Actaea, Adonis, Anemone, Anemonastrum,
Anemonella, Anemonopsis, Aquilegia, Callianthemum, Caltha, Cimiifuga, Clematis,
Delphinium, Eranthis, Glaucidium, Helleborus, Hepatica, Hydrastis, Isopyrum,
Paeonia, Paraquilegia, Ranunculus, Thalictrum, Trollius. - Low temperature, delayed, and multicycle germination patterns were all present. Also found were photorequirements, oscillating temperature requirements, and impervious seed coats.

Is it any wonder that this family has long been regarded as difficult to germinate. They are really not difficult if the exact pattern is known.

Aconitum (Ranunculaceae). Seed of A. ajanense, apetalum, ferrox,
firmum, macrostynchium, napellus, nasutum, orientale, pubiceps, raddeanum,
variagatum, volubile, vulparia, and two unidentified species were received in midwinter, and all soon rotted on contacting moisture showing that DS is not tolerated in accord with the results on A. wilsoni. Helen Sykes of Sudbury MA communicated that A. ferox and A. lycoctorum received in January, given 4 w at 40, and placed at 55 germ. 65% 3 m later. Three other species were dead showing intolerance to DS.

Calgary, AB(Zone 3b)

Quote from RickCorey_WA :

I wonder if Aconitum needs an unusual kind of stratification?

No.
I start Aconitum seed successfully using stratification (exposing seed that has imbibed water to periods of alternating temperature).

Everett, WA(Zone 8a)

Good to know.

Miami, FL

thank you RickCorey. I think it is the seeds, I was beginning to think I fail at planting only this plant, all the other ones I planted that required cold stratification grew nicely. I will try and find some fresh seeds, and hopefully that will solve my problem. In the meantime I will follow the varying temperature pattern you listed above, and hope I can get that small chance of a germination.

Calgary, AB(Zone 3b)

Quote from SilverOrange :
I have tried that, I seem to not have any luck. I am not sure if using tap water effects the seeds, I am moistening the paper towel with water from the faucet. The one thing I haven't done is leave them in the paper towel, THEN put them in the fridge for 3 weeks I have always just put them right into the cold. While I try this the offer still stands for anybody willing to help out or wants seeds.

So you've never actually even stratified the seeds. It seems premature, therefore, to conclude that the seeds are dead. Before doing so, why not try stratifying them correctly?

P.S. Tap water or whatever alternative you have in mind has nothing to do with it.

This message was edited May 8, 2015 8:26 PM

Miami, FL

I always thought that sticking them in the wet paper towel and placing them into the fridge was stratifying them. I didn't know I had to wait 2-3 weeks before placing them in the fridge, that is the method I haven't tried yet.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.