How do I design a "swoosh" with my available plants??

Hendersonville, NC(Zone 7a)

I'm so tired of designing my garden with stripes, rectangles and squares. The Jordan shoes signature "swoosh" is like a smoothed out check mark and it fits my physical limitations: the plants are marigolds, which must be deadheaded so need to be within my reach (the edge of my garden).

Only how do I design it? I have 101 marigolds (started earlier from seed) and a garden area of 49" wide by 209" long. No way do I count on filling all that area with my few plants; I'll eventually get some more plants for the far, empty part. I'm thinking of making a "swoosh" in the bottom right corner (nearest my front door).

My garden helper will plant my plants for me but I must design where they should go. . so that I can care for them.

How do I figure this. . .design this. . .?? It doesn't seem right to use the formula for area of a triangle. . 1/2(b*h). . as I can't find planting density info for marigolds. . only spacing.

This math is beyond me!

HELP!!!

This thread has 2 replies. This forum is accessible only to subscribing members of Dave's Garden. There are many free features here, and about half of our forums are completely open to all members. And learn more about Dave's Garden, and explore the benefits of becoming a subscribing member.

Want to join? Register here. Already signed up? Click here to login!