Am I watering from below correctly??

Hendersonville, NC(Zone 7a)

I have my transplant cups (with 3 holes in the bottoms) of seedlings in solid 1020 trays.

To water from beneath, I put the cups into another 1020 tray - lined with absorbent washcloths - and then carefully pour half a gallon of water into a vacant corner. After half an hour or so, I take all the cups out of the tray of water and return each to their original (dry) 1020 tray.

This is laborious and takes alot of time: there MUST be a better way!

How do YOU water seedlings from below?

Everett, WA(Zone 8a)

I do it somewhat the same way you do, but I put cotton flannel into the bottom of EACH 1020 tray that holds seedling inserts or prop trays. I leave the flannel there the whole time the tray is germinating and growing on.

But I never add a half gallon! More like a half-cup, or a few ounces, every few days. I never allow standing water, i just keep the flannel mat moist. The "grooves" in the bottom of the solid 1020 tray, and the mat itself, are the only "reservoirs", and combined they hold maybe 2-4 ounces of water.

Since the cells or pots press against the flannel, I figure that the bottom of each cell is exactly as damp as the flannel.

When the flannel goes slightly dry, I add enough water to make it quite damp. If ANY standing water is visible, I use a turkey baster to remove it. I only want to leave a little visible water in the grooves, plus make the flannel quite wet.

In the past I laid a few lengths of cotton twine, and a few slivers of flannel, in a few of the grooves, to make sure the water wicked around wicked from the grooves up to the flannel pad. Next year, I plan to try some acrylic yarn, hopefully the really thick kind, laid along some grooves, to make a wicking connection from the bottom of the 1020 tray up to the flannel pad.

http://allthingsplants.com/ideas/view/RickCorey/646/Bottom-Watering-Seedling-Trays-with-Cotton-Flannel-Prevents-Water-Logging/

You can also bottom-water in a bathroom tub - but put a plumber on speed-dial first. I clogged my tub drain BUT GOOD with mud when I tried that. And the floor of the tub SLANTS, which prevents uniform bottom-watering.

Hendersonville, NC(Zone 7a)

Thanks, Rick . . next year, I think I'll try your flannel mat method. . and water half a cup or less! (And keep that turkey baster nearby!!)

Lake Stevens, WA(Zone 8a)

I got a turkey baster at the dollar store just for this!
It is also very useful to remove water from the saucer of houseplants when watering.

Everett, WA(Zone 8a)

Pistil, you are wise.

One day I couldn't find "my" turkey baster where I usually leave it, so I grabbed "a" turkey baster without thinking it through.

Later, my SO wanted to know where HER turkey baster was! Ooops.

Now she has a new turkey baster for the KITCHEN and I think twice before grabbing things out of that drawer.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.