Growing Green Peppers-Help!

Fredericksburg, VA

I have been gardening for may years now, but have never been successful with green peppers.
I can't seen to get large, thick skinned peppers. I do very well with tomatoes, but not peppers. Is there a "best" variety to plant? What can I do to get great green peppers? I buy plants, not seeds.
I live in zone 7 in Central Virginia.
Please help!

Lewisville, MN(Zone 4a)

We use King Arthur as our main crop for our market garden business. Never a failure.
Plant seeds in greenhouse late March, transplant once into 2½" square pots, set in garden end of May. We use black or green plastic mulch, 2 ft exposed. 2 rows down the plastic, plants 2 ft apart.

Thumbnail by CountryGardens Thumbnail by CountryGardens
Augusta, GA(Zone 8a)

Concur; King Arthur is about as foolproof as any. If you are buying plants, most likely you only have access to Bonnie plants. They do not carry the best varieties, Probably Bonnie Bell is the best of their offering. They do have Giant Marconi which is a large pepper and delicious but not a bell.Can be used as bell however.If you want to start from seed, I like Socrates.

Thumbnail by Farmerdill Thumbnail by Farmerdill
Westbrook, CT(Zone 6a)

I have had good results with Big Bertha bells the past two years. They do take a long time to turn red so I harvest a lot of them at the green stage.

Recently I searched for other recommended thick-walled and productive bells and came up with this list:
Ace (or New Ace), Aristotle, Camelot, Red Knight, Revolution, Keystone Resistant Giant, King Arthur, Yolo Wonder, Islamorada, Karisma and a few others who were not available from my usual seed suppliers. I'm thinking of trying Ace (very early) or Keystone (heavy yield) next year in addition to Big Bertha. There are some thick-walled sweet non-bells as well.

I grow about half of my peppers in the ground and half in containers. Both seem to do well.

This message was edited Apr 11, 2016 6:07 AM

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.