Tomatillos

Cary, NC

Anyone have experience starting tomatillos seeds indoors? My are kinda getting legging. Do I need to repot these before going on the garden, hopefully soon. Please advise.

Thumbnail by rebecca37 Thumbnail by rebecca37
Cary, NC

sorry, here are better orientated pics. thanks.

Thumbnail by rebecca37 Thumbnail by rebecca37
Yellville, AR(Zone 6b)

Yeah those are VERY leggy and will need to be planted quite deep in the hopes of improving their compromised circulatory system. Or trench them in so 90% of that stem is buried. They needed far more supplemental lighting than they apparently got. I'd try to get them planted outside ASAP even if it means you will have to cover them.

Dave

Liberty Hill, TX(Zone 8a)

Mine always look like that. They grow so fast I don't even bother to start them inside any more. This happens with Ground Cherries too. Repotting them, deep wouldn't hurt. One year I started mine inside and when I went to plant them out they were a tangled mess, but they ended up doing fine.

Yellville, AR(Zone 6b)

1lisac - Some varieties of tomatillos are more wispy than others but they don't need to be leggy and a "tanggled mass". As long as you understand that for best plant health and performance they shouldn't look like that and they don't have to look like that, that's fine. It's a personal choice.

But it is easy enough to prevent by simply providing them with adequate supplemental lighting - even when started inside.

Dave

Cary, NC

Thank you!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.