Soil temp. Did I just kill my seeds???

Berea, KY

im a newbie.... I just checked the temp of my soil using my digital meat thermometer and it said the temp was 122 *F..... I am really hoping I didn't destroy my seeds....
I turned the heat completely off them for now till I get some feedback.
Please help 😭

Florissant, MO

Hi again Grammykaye,

Probably depends on the kind of seeds and how long they were exposed to the 122 degrees. Personally however, I doubt that the seeds have been harmed.

If you're going to use those Christmas tree lights (and that will probably work) you need to set it up on some kind of thermostat, to control the soil temperature.

Art

Yellville, AR(Zone 6b)

Agree that either thermostat control or almost incessant monitoring of soil temps is vital. As to the damage done to your seeds, only time will tell. Keep in mind that the heat mat that is not controlled by a thermostat is responding to the ambient air temps. In a large open area is will thus run almost constantly. That not only overheats the soil but wastes electricity. Create a small confined area to be heated as much as possible. Depending on the number of seedling trays you can do this with a Rubbermaid tote or even a big cardboard box. Google 'propagation chamber' for pics and ideas.

Dave

Berea, KY

My son will be home tonight.... I'm gonna see if he can get me a thermostat and fix it up for me!

Thank u all for the helpful tips!

I'm including pics if my set up....they are in long tubs...

Thumbnail by Grammykaye Thumbnail by Grammykaye Thumbnail by Grammykaye
Florissant, MO

Here's one type of thermostat (see link below). It has a probe that you insert into the soil mix. This one is good for 8.3 amps / 1000 watts

http://www.amazon.com/Hydrofarm-MTPRTC-Digital-Thermostat-Heat/dp/B000NZZG3S

Art

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.