South Florida Spring Round-up Okeechobee, May 31, 2015

Taylor Creek, FL(Zone 10a)

This Round-Up will be held on May 30, 2015

IF YOU ARE ATTENDING ADD YOUR NAME HERE

Once you get to Okeechobee
Go South on 441 (aka Parrot Street) until you turn east on 441.
When you get to draw bridge turn your left blinker on and turn left as soon as you cross the bridge on SE 30th Terrace. When you turn left into ZTRV. Turn right and after you pass bath house, turn around the circle and stop in front of rec hall to unload.

Howdy all,
I have secured use of the Recreation Hall here at ZTRV on Taylor Creek in Okeechobee, Florida.
We will start at 10AM and wind up around 4PM to give everyone time to get close to home before dark.
The Rec Hall has Handicap ramps, is air conditioned, has screened in back porch and plenty of tables and chairs for us to use.
I will provide some pulled pork, buns and everyone can bring a dish to share.
The front porch has plenty of room for putting our swaps out. If the weather is bad we can put our plants on the screened in back porch.

If you have a RV, Zachary Taylor RV has many sites for rent and if you don't have an RV and want to come a few days early, there are cabins to rent.

If this works out I would like to make it an annual occasion.

All South Florida Galloping Gardeners are welcome.

All Florida, or any other state gardeners are welcome.

All suggestions are welcome.
Sidney

This message was edited Apr 17, 2015 8:51 AM

This message was edited May 30, 2015 7:14 AM

Thumbnail by sugarweed Thumbnail by sugarweed
Clermont, FL(Zone 9a)

SOUNDS GREAT. HOPE TO MAKE IT.

Clermont, FL(Zone 9a)

Sidney,
I didn't pay close enough attention to the date. That's a Sunday so I won't be able to make it.

Sorry
Bonnie

Let me see if they have the 30th available. I'll get back to you.

Yes, we are having this on the 30th of May, 2015.
I'll go to the RU Forum and put a couple of threads up there.
Sidney

On second thought I did post a thread over there, but since it appeared almost all of those were 2 or 3 years old I think I will keep the sign up on this thread and start a swap thread and food thread right here.
Sidney

Archer/Bronson, FL(Zone 8b)

Hi Sidney,

I'd like to make it this time. Starting to think about trades and food

Molly

Winter Springs, FL(Zone 9b)

Looks like a great place for a plant RU. I have a few plants to give away. I can make some coleslaw to go with the pulled pork. And I'll bring some cold water bottles in a cooler.

Jacksonville, FL(Zone 8b)

Sorry can not make it. Had knee replacement surgery and wifi still be healing..
Added good news is I am free of MRSA!!!!!!!!!
Sandy

Clermont, FL(Zone 9a)

Sandy that's great news. BUT will miss you.

Sidney, I'll be bringing paper plates, forks, cups & napkins and a couple of jugs of iced tea.

Tampa, FL(Zone 9b)

I ideally would like to rent a cabin Friday night, so I will be there Saturday. However, from what I was told when I called, minors are not allowed to stay in the cabin; so I would need to make arrangements for my son.

Shauna, Hummm didn't know that would be a problem. Especially out of season. How old is your son? Are you meaning during the RU? or at all?
If it's the A or B cabin, they are visible from the Rec Hall.
Sandy, glad you are rid of the MRSA, and hope your knee heals great.
Bonnie, I have you down on the other thread for the paper plates, etc and will add the ice tea.
I will also commit to a jug of fresh squeezed Splenda Lime aid.
Leaving for Nashville in the morning to deliver the motor home and Sarah, an Australian Shepard to my daughter. She is purchasing the MH from me.

Sidney

Sidney, I would like to bring my friend Tieah with me.

Molly

Of course Molly, looking forward to seeing you.
Last week I talked to Dale the Gardener and he is also looking for a ride he lives in Tampa.
If anyone is coming from Tampa call me at 863-801-2945.
Looking forward to seeing old friends.
Sidney

Tampa, FL(Zone 9b)

When I called that place, I was told he was not allowed due to his age. Anyone staying there has to be at least 21 years old, even if we are just visiting for the RU. I have not been able to coordinate proper child care for him (even though he told me to leave him at the house by himself all weekend). LOL

Bonnie and Sheri – I really appreciate you both making that offer to me, that means a lot!!!

That being said, at this time it does not look like I will be able to attend the RU this year. :-(

Shauna

Shauna, how old is he?
Call me, I may have a solution.
863-801-2945
Sidney

Shauna, your son is welcome to come to the rec hall with us, or bring a pole and fish behind the Rec hall on the docks that are there for that.
We have several games and other stuff there. If he is old enough to stay home alone he could stay at my house during the RU.
There are many small folks here right now and they are my next door neighbors grand children.
Just hate for you not to come.
Sidney

Sydney we're on the Turnpike what is the proper address for the park for GPS?

2995 Hwy 441 SE
Okeechobee, 34974

Englewood, FL(Zone 10a)

Thank you very much Sidney! It was really nice to meet you all in such a peaceful setting.

Heleen

Has a great time yesterday Sidney. Great to see you and Bonnie again and Sherry and our new gardening friends, such a pleasure.

It was dark when we got home last night. So this morning I've taken some plants out of the car and am heading over to Tieah's to help her sort and plant things.

Thank you Sidney for everything. Such a great place for a round up. The screened shady porch over looking the water was such a peaceful setting for a plant round up. We enjoyed watching the birds, boats and even a manatee or two.
Thanks to Molly, Heleen, Bonnie, Sidney for such great plants too.
The BBQ pork was so good, as the rest of the food and Heleen sure did bring a wonderful homemade dessert to top it all off.
I enjoyed meeting new friends, and seeing old ones too.

Some photos from RU

Thumbnail by sunkissed Thumbnail by sunkissed Thumbnail by sunkissed Thumbnail by sunkissed Thumbnail by sunkissed
Clermont, FL(Zone 9a)

We had a great little park model to stay in. Thanks Sidney for hosting.

It sure was hot. Watching all the birds in canals was great.

So glad everyone had a good time.
I had planned to have a few weeks to prepare after I sold the motor home.
Well, it only left the night before so I was rather stretched.
Love my new plants and they will be a lasting memory of each of you.
Sidney

Heelen you and your friend were such a delight. Thanks so much for coming.
Prayers and affirmations that you come thru surgeries with flying colors.
Seedlings doing well.
Stay in touch.
Sidney

the babies I got from you.

Clermont, FL(Zone 9a)

Heleen,
Didn't know about surgery. I will put you on my prayer list. That I do every night.
Let us know how you make out.
B onnie

Englewood, FL(Zone 10a)

Thank you Sidney and Bonnie for your prayers.
I'm waiting for the call from the hospital about the time they expect me tomorrow. It is a minor operation, rotary cuff related stuff like a labral repair and biceps tenodesis.

You will do fine. I had that a few years ago. Just do all of the PT they ask you do do

Sandy

Brooksville, FL(Zone 9a)

I wish I could have come, but so glad to see pictures.

Jan

Englewood, FL(Zone 10a)

You were right Sandy, I'm doing fine. Just impatient....😄🌺

Glad to hear you are doing great Heleen.

Clermont, FL(Zone 9a)

Ditto, to what Sugarweed said.

I finished my PT today. Early!!!! The new knee is doing great,!!!

Sandy

Clermont, FL(Zone 9a)

Wonderful Sandy.

Englewood, FL(Zone 10a)

Sandy, you must be a master in PT! Great to hear that all went well.

I have 2 rules 1 If you do not want to lose it-MOVE IT
2 No matter how bad it hurts MOVE IT
My doctor told me right after the surgery that he could not believe that I was not living on pain pills because my knee was so bad. I told him I did not do pain pills as usually as long as I kept moving the pain stayed under control. It was only after my bike broke that the knee went totally bad.(besides pain pills are like "no doze" pills for me, I can not sleep if I take them at night. They are almost bad a sleeping pills that make me bounce off the walls)
He also said when I saw him at 2 weeks that I was already where most people where at 6 weeks and being pushed.
I have full bend in my knee.
I will need something done about my right knee but that can wait as it is not as bad
as the left one was.
Sandy

Englewood, FL(Zone 10a)

Full bend on your knee is great!
Tough woman! But I do understand the no pain rule, I'm just like that. Got scolded for not taking oxy, but that makes me fall asleep (unlike you). And I ain't no sleeping beauty...too much to do!
I read about people who take sleeping pills at airplanes and then go all crazy because they didn't fall asleep but jumpy instead...
Heleen

Brooksville, FL(Zone 9a)

Sandy

You sound like my SIL she was PT aholic, the Dr at 2weeks said the same about her. She graduated from PT way ahead of schedule. She had both done at the same time as she knew if she only did one she most likely would not be back for the other...LOL One knee is better than the other, but other than a slight limp and if you didn't know her you wouldn't know she had a limp.

So glad you have this mind set, those that do recovery and do very well with their new knees, those that don't want to endure the pain in order to progress take for ever to get going if they really ever do.

Jan

Thank you. I only had one done as they now will not do both at the same time. I will have the other done at a later date as it is not as bad as the left one was. At least this gives me time to get DM in better shape as she refuses to go back to my sisters to stay. She has get more mobile but not enough

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.