Anemone

Lititz, PA(Zone 6b)

Alright, sounds good.

Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

pretty but few I do not know the name ,

Anemone

Thumbnail by juhur7
Lititz, PA(Zone 6b)

Honorine Jobert is a white fall bloomer. Mine bloomed so late last year there was only a few days to enjoy the blooms before the freeze killed them. This year I don't think I'll even get that much as there is no blooming stem growing.

Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

this is still blooming one large stem and about five blooms remain they will bloom to freeze
This my third try to grow them , I want more lol

Elgin, IL(Zone 5a)

All of my Honorines are in bloom, but they are on the southwest and southeast sides of my yard, and I think that makes all the difference.

My former home was in zone 5a facing due west and they used to bloom their little heads off. I do notice, though, looking at the pictures, that they bloomed in September and these are blooming about three weeks later.

Lititz, PA(Zone 6b)

Glad they are blooming for you. They are very pretty when they do.

Elgin, IL(Zone 5a)

I just put in two Alice, and I find that they need pampering. I put two in years ago in clay that I neglected a bit, and they faded out. Honorine can take neglect, and clay, and thrive. Robustissima - well, one established itself in my former yard without any help from me! I just had to tear it out periodically. But Alice has required a lot of extra compost and a lot of deliberate watering. It's the only one of the three that is that way. Except for Whirbelwind, of course. I've tried to establish it twice, or is it three times, to no avail. Whereas I put Honorine in a bed where it was exposed to walnut trees, and it died WAYYYY down but survived, and is now happily blooming in another spot.

I do think that, unfortunately, Honorine is dicey in zone 4. Going back several years and looking at my pictures, mine has started blooming as early as the last week of August to the third week in September. That's a heck of a span for starting. And both sets of plants faced west, which I think really helps in colder zones.

I am pretty reluctant to try expensive new strains until I get some history. I am always wary of plants that are recommended because they did well at the Chelsea Flower show. I had many "Brit" failures at the beginning of my gardening (campanula persificolia, do you hear me?). Wild Swan was introduced from a Scottish garden, meaning to me that it will probably work wonderfully in the Pacific Northwest. I notice that our gardening friends here in that area are doing very well with it. I also read on Perennials. com that it has a nodding habit, and that it may need to be staked by late summer. A person who reviewed it on a site claimed that the flowers turn brown after blooming. They also noted that the great feature is the coloring on the back, so you need to find a way to plant them such that you can see their little backsides.

And they are very expensive, probably because it is a patented plant.

Just an observation. A dear friend gave me about 8 patented peonies from Klehm. Over $200 worth. Most of my peonies had always been very old ones (from the 1800's to the 1940's) and despite the fact that they were the first ones I grew (so I knew the least), they all survived and thrived. NONE of my expensive, newly created patented peonies from Klehm survived more than two years, and they were growing within five feet of my oldies, some of which I paid $15 for, as opposed to the $35 each my dear friend paid for these well meant gifts.

Lititz, PA(Zone 6b)

I wonder if my Honorine needs more sun if it's ever to bloom? It might get 1/2-1 hour of sun a day otherwise it's full shade. Food for thought next year.

Camano Island, WA(Zone 8a)

Mine are in full sun in a mild climate and they have been blooming for at least 6 weeks and have no signs of stopping. Definitely put some in the sun and see if it makes a difference.

Elgin, IL(Zone 5a)

I agree. I think that they are definitely sun plants.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.