Minimum temperature

Eden, NY(Zone 5a)

Hello all!

Is there a temperature which you wait for before you set your containers out?

I put a bunch out at the beginning of February. Then February got really cold. As in negative teens. The containers were covered with snow for some of it. I'm wondering if I've lost those containers.

I want to put out more, but it's suppose to be in the 20s for the weekend and there won't be much snow on them.

What are your experiences?

Jennifer

Natick, MA

Jennifer,
I'm a first time winter sower but --- see wintersown.org for lots of good info

You can put perennials out starting winter solstice 12/21
Depending on what you are sowing (ie tender perennials and annuals go out later)
I did my perennials and hardy/self sowing annuals in Jan & Feb.
Annuals in March...and you still can

Snow is a good insulator..we had 4+ feet of snow on my WS containers. Yours should be fine.
what did you plant?

Does that help?

Eden, NY(Zone 5a)

Thanks for the help.

I did just some basics as this is my first try too. I did Nasturshim, Morning Glory, Marigolds, Cosmos, and Cleome, since the packet said they can be direct sown after the last frost. I used that rule as my guideline. I just added some Alyssum to the mix. And in the house I have Impatients, New Guineas, Snapdragons, and Goats Beard started.

This winter just keeps going on and on and on, it's making me nervous about my seeds.

I'll check out the web site.

Thanks!

Jennifer

Natick, MA

Hi Jennifer,
your morning glories, cosmos and chrome will be fine. Others probably also..I started my nasturtiums inside.....yes, this is definitely the winter that keeps on giving. The weather report for the next 2 weeks looks very springtime..let's hope! Also a lot of (April) rains.

Some people who wintersow put pretty much everything out Dec 21 or soon after. I wouldn't worry...everything should do well .I am crossing my fingers :-)

I know what you mean, tho.....it seems we've been waiting forever to be able to do some spring stufffn and get out in the yard a bit!

About 1/2 of my WSing:

Thumbnail by valal
Eden, NY(Zone 5a)

I peeked at my WS that I did in February. NOTHING.
The stuff that I did last weekend has sprouted, but that's it.
I'm glad that I did only half of each pack of seeds, but I'm still sad.

Jennifer

Natick, MA

Give it time. It's been a COLD winter here, and we're behind where we usually are. I dont have many containers sprouting either..but I am hopeful. Dont give up yet....I've heard many stories of containers that people gave up on too early, threw in a compost pile (and they sprouted there) or put aside and come to find out, they sprouted later.

It's pouring here and my WS containers are TOO wet (despite good drainage). Tomorrow I am uncovering them to let them dry out a bit, under a tarp to prevent more rain. Our forecast says rain/showers all week - yuck. Good for the garden in general, but not so sure for my WS containers -- and my morale!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.