Hoya Plant (the indian rope)

Wills Point, TX

I haven't been able to find any care info on this species of Hoyas. Does anyone know if it can be Propagated? Any & all info is VERY much appreciated!

Thanks & have a great day!
MGBittle

Lake Stevens, WA(Zone 8a)

I too have a Hoya-it was sold as Indian Rope, but then the leaves became more normal. After a few years, it made a 'sport' with variegated leaves. I have been intending to layer it, but I see in another thread that Joeswife has started what looks like maybe a variegated Hoya? How about it Joeswife? How did you do it.
Here is mine today, normal and sport leaves (sport branches have not yet flowered). The last pic shows the sport type leaves in the shade, the first where it gets direct sun mornings.

Thumbnail by Pistil Thumbnail by Pistil Thumbnail by Pistil Thumbnail by Pistil Thumbnail by Pistil
Wills Point, TX

Gosh Pistil, the leaves on your plant are entirely different than mine!! On my Hoya (I believe it's an Indian Rope) the leaves are rather thick w/a definate curl to them. I purchased it at a nursery but the only thing they could tell me was that it was a Hoya. It was the only one they had. The flowering is beautiful!! How long did you have it before that started?

I would still love more info on this plant...I just love it & I'm scared to death I'm going to kill it!

Have a great day!!!!

Lake Stevens, WA(Zone 8a)

Well I will tell you about my plant. 'Hindu Rope' seems to be a variety of the species Hoya carnosa, which I think is what I have, so they should need similar care. First of all, it seems quite tough and tolerates some neglect. I have had it for years. It is in a hanging basket with ordinary potting soil. It gets direct morning sun (I am in Seattle so sun not hot and strong like TX). I am not careful about watering but it does not wilt. When it was about 2 years old, it got mealybugs. I cut the whole thing off at the soil line and threw the top away. Then I put Bonine systemic insect killer granules on the potting soil and watered it. It sprouted up great and now is quite large. I would not do this with an outside plant because I would not want to poison my good bugs, but I use it on houseplants.

I just looked it up in my plant book. Now (spring) is a good time to take cuttings. It sounds like they root easily, but you can speed up growing a new plant by "layering" a branch. Some people even do leaf cuttings. I read somewhere they will even root in water.

So don't worry-you picked a great houseplant and I think it will be hard to kill.

Thumbnail by Pistil
Cleveland,GA/Atlanta, GA(Zone 7b)

A friend gave me four or five "ropes". I just stuck them, a few joints down, in loose potting soil and now have a full basket.

Lakeland, FL(Zone 9b)

I have 2 'Hoya", not sure of the species, but they certainly look different. Both were sold to me as "wax plant",

First has variegated leaves that are quite small and very curly - I have had for years in my kitchen windowsill in Birmingham, AL and now on my lania in Lakeland, FL. They have lived but not grown.

More recent acquisition is also variegated leaves but much larger leaf than first plant, and more like a vine. Also sits on my lanai, too soon to tell if it will thrive or just survive as the first plant.

Thumbnail by jojogarden Thumbnail by jojogarden
Lakeland, FL(Zone 9b)

oops - I deleted first picture of verycurly wax plant from previous post - thisimage ismof theplant described as 'first plant".

Thumbnail by jojogarden

I'm not a hoya person but a friend is a big time collector and she's gifted me with a number of common and rare varieties. I grow orchids. Hoyas enjoy similar greenhouse conditions to my orchids. Your first one looks like the variegated version of H. carnosa. The second photo is a variegated Indian rope hoya (H. compacta I believe). If the first one has pink as well as white it is called a tricolor.

(Robin) Blissfield, MI(Zone 6a)

MG, mine has propagated with cuttings in water. I also did a leaf propagation. A leaf broke off the mother plant and I dipped in Rooting hormone and stuck it in vermiculite and kept moist. It is an easy rooter.

I don't know the cultivar of mine yet, my son salvaged the cutting from my late Mom's plant. The leaves are dark green with silver specks. I couldn't bring the plant from Canada, but I was allowed to bring cuttings.

Lakeland, FL(Zone 9b)

Thanks, MaypopLaurel, I will follow those suggested species paths and hopefully get proper identification on my two Hoyas so i can care for them appropriately. Would you introduce me to your friend? ;-)

:)

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.