What Ya' Got Cookin' 2015

Somewhere in, MD(Zone 7b)

Oh that one is my favorite meatloaf recipe!!! But, I also have one that is pretty darned good, and not too spicy; it's a clone recipe of the meatloaf they make (made?) at Boston Market:

1 cup tomato sauce
1 1/2 tablespoons Kraft Original BBQ sauce (or BBQ sauce of your choice)
1 tablespoon sugar
1 1/2 pounds ground beef
6 tablespoons all purpose flour
3/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon onion powder
1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
dash garlic powder

Preheat oven to 400.
Combine the tomato sauce, BBQ sauce, and sugar in a small saucepan over medium heat. Heat the mixture until it begins to bubble, stirring often, then remove it from the heat.

In a large bowl, add all but 2 tablespoons of the tomato sauce mixture to the meat. Use a large wooden spoon or your hands to work the sauce into the meat until it is very well combined.

Combine the remaining ingredients with the meat, and work it in well. Load the meat into a loaf pan (preferably a meatloaf pan with 2 sections that allow the fat to drain, but if you don't have one of those, a regular loaf pan will work). Wrap foil over the pan and place it into the oven to bake for 30 minutes.

After 30 minutes, take the meatloaf from the oven, remove the foil and, if you aren't using a meatloaf pan, drain the fat.

Using a knife, slice the meatloaf all the way through into 8 slices while it is still in the pan. This will help it to cook the center of the meatloaf. Pour the remaining 2 tablespoons of sauce over the top of the meatloaf, in a stream down the center. Don't spread the sauce.

Place the meatloaf back into the oven, uncovered, for about 25 to 30 minutes or until it is done. Remove and allow it to cool for a few minutes before serving.

This is REALLY quick and easy, no matter what it looks like with all those words. This is my "go-to" meatloaf now, but I DON'T pour the sauce on across the top before the second half of the bake time... I just serve that on the side for myself, DH doesn't like it.
With this recipe, I NEVER have under-done-in-the-center meatloaf, and it doesn't take nearly as long to cook as many other meatloaf recipes I've made.

By the way... I did my grocery shopping this morning, and I GOT THE FAKE TATERS!!!! LOL!!! My store only had ONE option of "Betty Crocker" brand, the "Homestyle Creamy Butter" ones, so that's what I got. That will go with pork chops that are on this menu, along with steamed broccoli. I'll let you know what we think. :)

Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

Thanks, Speedie. I saved it to my Documents...

I like the the idea of a touch of BQ sauce schmeared on top--YUMMM.

In the Ann Landers recipe--I really think 1 1/2c. of bread crumbs is a bit much
to just 2lbs. of meat. Then again--it is a really OLD recipe...

I am making a double+ batch--so i will have to play it by ear. ..
G.

Maybe you could hybridize the two recipes? A little bread crumbs, a little flour... The flour makes for a really nice and tender meatloaf, I was really surprised at how nice it turned out.

Tonight we're having left-over pizza... which means, pizza for DH and stuffed salmon and salad for me. =)

Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

Speedie--Meatloaf is all done by now. Tastes OK!

I decided to make it in the small, foil pans for easier storage.
Had to go to 4 local stores to find these small foil pans!

Been munching on one of them--Yummmm...I approve! Sure that Tony
will gobble it down--as often bring him dinner on Sundays at the HD.
i DID add some BQ sauce to the Tomato Sauce i schmeared on top of the bacon
--on top of the mini meat loves.

This way--it will be easier to wrap them up and freeze them.

Thumbnail by Gitagal

Oh they're lovely and look delicious!! BRAVO! =) Tony is one little lucky ducky. :)

annapolis, MD(Zone 7b)

When something is smeared it sounds so blah compared to schmeared! Aie carumba, makes my mouth water. Every one knows the bestest food comes out of kitchens where the cook schmears!! Schmears to you Gita!

Anne Arundel,, MD(Zone 7b)

boy am I hungry for meatloaf. And Boston MKT is quite tasty meatloaf.

Hahahahaaa Judy, you are sooooo right!! Any of us who have tasted Gita's cooking can attest to the fact that she really rrrrrreally adds flarrrrrre! < =D

Sally, I've never had Boston Market's meatloaf at one of their restaurants... or in any other way, for that matter, but I can say that this recipe sure is yummy!

Burros for dinner tonight; got the roast in the slow cooker as we speak. :)

There's only one Boston Market that I've been to, only a couple times. This particular store seems to have management/staff problems, but the meal is like a home cooked balanced 'meal' with nice veg choices, and the food's been good.

Odenton, MD(Zone 7b)

Speedie, please don't eat the burros!

Thumbnail by Catbird423
Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

I make a lot of different meatloaves. One of my favs is a cheeses and olive, with a tomato gravy and asiago, schmeared on top. The one I make the most uses oatmeal instead of other "fillers". I will say I love to occasionally make a old fashioned with brown sugar and ketchup on top.

Ooooh, that sounds like a great addition to a meatloaf Ric, thank you for the idea.

Robin, hahahaaaa!!! Sorry... we're having burritos, is that better? ;) heeheeheee I think they're gonna be pretty yummy with the freshly picked t'maters I've got now, whee!! =)

I generally use oatmeal, too, and top with ketchup-brown sugar-vinegar

Well now you guys have me convinced; next shopping trip I will be getting a fresh container of oats.. steel-cut if I can find 'em at my store.

Cookin' at my house today will be: A fresh loaf of potato wheat bread, chocolate chip cookies, and a "winner winner chicken dinner" for... well,... dinner! :)

I use "rolled" oats, uncooked, in meatloaf- I don't think steel cut would cook in time, I'm afraid.

Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

Big Lots had a good-sized plastic jug of somewhat "smithereened"
steel-cut oats, as well as regular sized Oats.

annapolis, MD(Zone 7b)

Since the ac is barely keeping the house a livable temp today any cooking will be done outside!
Sweet corn, pork chops . fresh geen and yellow beans and peach pie for desert!

Edited to add

I have been enjoying Newmans Own medium Pineapple Salsa condiment. So, that, too.

This message was edited Jul 19, 2015 4:52 PM

Salem Cnty, NJ(Zone 7b)

We are still in Oregon at our son's house. Had a great family reunion with the grandies. Great temps at the coast. Much better than in Portland. This week has been okay, cooling down at night. But, yesterday was high 90's. We went over to the coast again for the day. Down on the beach it was 75. Came back to the house and it was 97. Today, in the 90's again. Trying to stay cool outside. Charles was going to turn on the oven....I got a rotisserie chicken. Maybe we can do some cold sides. Actually....ice cream sounds like a good dinner. What do you think?
We'll be leaving here tomorrow morning to start our slow journey cross-country. A stop at Lolo Hot Springs is planned for Tuesday or longer. We'll see how much we like it. Hehehe.

Wow, hot!

annapolis, MD(Zone 7b)

Hoping for your safe return Jan!

Help!!!!

Any bright ideas for the half buschel of cherry tomatoes that are suddenly ripe here?

Help!

Put em in a blender and whirlaway. Use as soup making base--
just a guess.
No, roast them all, Then blend them to get 'rid' of the pieces of skin, and seeds. Very nutritious.

annapolis, MD(Zone 7b)

Sally, I liked your idea on the other thread about freezing them whole!

I almost wrote that first. But so much space in the freezer and lots of water. I suggested to my kid that he include them in his smoothies.

Heck, that would be snack time for me for a few days... GONE!

Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

coleup--
You can freeze even large tomatoes whole. Put it in a zip-baggie to keep it
from drying out too much. They do just fine and taste fresh when thawed out,

Just dip the frozen tomato in some hot water--and the skin will slough right off.
You can then dice the tomato as small as you wish-while still frozen.
Can't dice a fresh tomato that easily--if you tried....

I have frozen tomatoes and they put out a lot of pale pink water as they thaw 8nto a blob of mush. Not appetizing

Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

Maybe i should have mentioned that frozen tomatoes are good
just for cooking--sauces---etc. NOT to eat "fresh"....

Kind of like--NOT canned, diced tomatoes. G.

Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

Ric--

Can you please post your recipe for a great mac and Cheese?
Rich...yummy...buttery...whatever.

Thanks, Gita

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

in case Ric is busy...

Jill's Cheesy Mac

1/2 pound shredded extra sharp cheddar (plus more for top if you want)
1 1/3 cups milk
1/2 stick (1/4 cup) butter, cut up (frozen chops up nicely)
1 pound box macaroni
1/2 tsp. dry mustard
1 tsp. paprika
1/2 tsp. ground black pepper
1/8 tsp. turmeric (for color if using white cheddar)
2 eggs

Preheat oven to 350'F (325' for convection)

Beat eggs, add milk, set aside.

Cook and drain macaroni.

While pasta is still hot, add butter and cheese, stirring well so they get melty and spread a bit.

Stir in spices, sprinkling in slowly so they don't clump together

Stick your finger in to see if it's cool enough before adding egg mixture (if you can hold your finger there for a count of 5, you're good to go).

Pour into a 9 x 13 pan, or a couple of bread pans, or a couple of pie tins. Top with additional grated cheddar and/or parmesan if desired.

Bake 35-40 minutes at 350'F until bubbly and "set" and golden on top.

Leftovers freeze well!

This message was edited Aug 15, 2015 3:21 PM

Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

Thanks, Jill. Will try yours. Sounds good. Does it come out creamy and bubbly
with the cheese dripping down your face ???

I did one from cook.com. "Creamy Mac and Cheese with Breadcrumbs"
Sounded good---it was edible--but overall, too dry.

The bread crumbs topping had some OO (a TBS+) and some finely diced
Rosemary, Parsley,and Thyme. Crumbled and sprinkled on top.

There was no amount given to the bread crumbs--and I think I used way too much.
I would have rather used Planko--but I was out.
The topping was very dry---no cheese ever bubbled up (I used plenty of it)--
they called for 3/4lb of macaroni (cooked in chicken broth--nice touch!)
I felt there was too much macaroni for the rest of the ingredients.

In the cook until creamy cheese mix--with 2c. of milk and 3/4 c. of 1/2 ans 1/2--
it should have been softer and creamier overall.

I had 2 full cups of grated cheese--Sharp Ched. and I grated up some Jarlsberg cheese too.
This dish cost me a pretty penny....and I don't feel it is up to par.

It was baked at 420* for almost an hour. Directions said: "Bake until cheese bubbles
and the bread crumbs turn brown". No time given either.
My topping was brown at 45 minutes--but there was NO cheese bubbling. Never did...

It tasted semi-OK--needed a bit more salt. SO! I am a bit upset--but that is what I get
when doing something for the first time. Not sure I will use this recipe again as is.
May have to analyze where some stuff needs to be changed.

Overall--I think the amounts were off......

The garlic-Lime chicken always comes out perfect! Hope you try it, Jill.
If you use breasts--you will be done in 30-40 minutes.

g.

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

The recipe I gave comes out moist but is the kind that "sets up" a little. If you want a guaranteed creamy soft mac & cheese, you're better off making a cheese sauce (roux of butter and flour, add milk and cubed or shredded cheese), so you can adjust it to your liking before adding the macaroni. A lot of folks swear by using velveeta, which I think just melts straight up into a cheese sauce... I'd rather use a roux and "real" cheese. You can eat it out of the pot or put it in a casserole dish so you can brown a topping of additional cheese and/or buttered breadcrumbs.

Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

The thought of Velveeta cheese makes me wretch....Huge amounts of salt!....

You may laugh--but this was my 1st attempt of making mac and cheese...
There are many common foods I have never made yet---like Lasagna...

My Macaroni and ham and cheese casserole is always a winner.
I have made that oodles of times--and will bring it again to the swap...plus my pickles.
Made from my own grown pickling cukes. g.

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

So why not make your ham & mac & cheese recipe, without the ham?

I'm not a velveeta fan, but I don't know that it has more salt than regular cheese.

If/when you do make lasagna, here are 2 tips. Don't pre-cook the noodles -- much easier (IMO) to layer uncooked noodles in the pan and add 1/2 cup of water to your sauce. Also, add italian herbs and parmesan cheese to the ricotta, plus an egg to stiffen it a bit -- and then let it sit overnight to flavor through before assembling & baking the lasagna.

We had spaghetti last night, with sauce from the freezer.. but I did make bruschetta (with garden tomatoes & fresh basil) and a salad (with garden peppers). I like to serve bruschetta in little bowls with thin slices of baguette warmed/toasted in the oven... there's so much juice with fresh tomatoes that it's wonderful for dipping the bread as you scoop up the goodies.

Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

My Mac and cheese and ham casserole is a classic. NOT changing any of it!

BTW--I am not a beginner cook--so not asking for advice ....
If I need a recipe--I will find it--or ask someone for it.

Just FYI---I don't "DO" Italian herbs--also nothing spicy---No bruchetta--
don't care for peppers--hate garlicky foods--Don't use tomato sauce a lot--Rarely use
canned foods--same for pre-prepared foods--etc...etc....
f
My main spices are: S&P--Onion Powder (a must)--a bit of garlic powder--Dill--
A bit of Allspice (if needed) etc. Depends what i am cooking. I love the flavor
of caraway seed--hate Thyme!

Thanks anyway, Jill.... G.

Lucketts, VA(Zone 7a)

I LOVE bruschetta. Costco used to carry it, but I haven't seen it in a while. It was with the fresh refrigerated stuff. It was large, like all Costco stuff is, but I have never seen a smaller size in the grocery stores. Always thought I could and should just make up my own, but never have tried it. I have used the Costco bruschetta on top of baguette slices, topped with a little mozzarella, and broiled until the mozzarella melts. Yummy!!! Jill, do you have a "recipe" for your bruschetta, or is it one of those things that you throw together whatever fresh ingredients you have? I like tomato based recipes, italian herbs and spicy foods in general - not that being of Italian descent has anything to do with that LOL. Can you say Teresa Anna Marrone with my grandfather's Italian accent? Roll those Rs...

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

well, you wanted a mac n cheese recipe, so...

anyhoo, can't believe you grow tomatoes and basil and don't make bruschetta!

Terri, my "recipe" is pretty simple. For every cup of tomatoes, you need about 1 tablespoon each balsamic vinegar, olive oil, minced basil and 1 clove of garlic (maybe 1/2 teaspoon of the crushed stuff in the jar). I chop whatever tomatoes I have on hand, then multiply accordingly. You can add salt & pepper to taste, but I usually skip both. Really great thing about making bruschetta is that once you add the balsamic vinegar to the tomatoes, you can put them in the fridge without loss of flavor, so it's something I make when I have a few more ripe tomatoes than we can eat right away.

edited to add.. I do often seed the tomatoes for bruschetta, but not always. Tip for seeding... cut across the "equator" of the tomato, as that opens most of the seed cavities, so you can just gently squeeze both halves and get the seeds out. When I'm doing a bunch of tomatoes, I squeeze them over a sieve set over a bowl to catch the juice (not necessary to put all the juice back into the bruschetta, but it's too good to let it go down the drain!). That's how I got that "rainbow mix" of tomato seeds a few years back, made a big batch of bruschetta from all my favorite tomatoes and saved the seeds!

This message was edited Aug 18, 2015 3:46 PM

Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

Jill--I am sure I will use your mac and cheese recipe-- Thanks.

Turkey Hill Double Dunker Ice Cream. SO GOOD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Salem Cnty, NJ(Zone 7b)

Got back last night from camping in the Adirondacks with some grannies. Boy, can they eat. I had made sloppy joes and froze it before we left and they loved it. Cheeseburgers one night. Hot dogs over the campfire another night. Spaghetti and meatballs one night and a chicken noodles casserole that I also made before we left. I had to ration the veggies, cuz they would have eaten them all in one night.

Now, back to reality.

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

Everything tastes better over a campfire! Try putting a can of corn into the edge of the coals... open the can, but prop the lid up just a bit... it'll get a smoky flavor that really intensifies the sweetness of the corn. Our favorite camping food is what my mom called "goulash" -- ground beef, browned with an onion, macaroni, mexican corn (no substitutions), and campbell's condensed tomato soup.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.