Fair Weather Gardener
(11 votes, 16%)
Red dot

Other (tell us!)
(5 votes, 7%)
Red dot

Previous Polls

(Arlene) Southold, NY(Zone 7a)

Definitely the Daily Devotee and proud of it!

KC Metro area, MO(Zone 6a)

More of a combination of all. lol. My job involves working with plants, and I take care of the garden at home when I have time and energy. Plus lining up a side job here and there and helping my grandma out at her place as needed.

East Texas, United States(Zone 8a)

another devotee and proud of it

Lititz, PA(Zone 6b)

Weekend Warrior for me. Unfortunately, the inconvenience of my job keeps me from being a Daily Devotee but it pays for the addiction....I do check on everything daily though. I'm definitely not a fair weather gardener as I've spent many a chilly day out in the yard gardening.

Kure Beach, NC(Zone 9a)

I'm like pepper23, I work at a garden center and spend as much time on my gardens as possible. I also have several friends whom I help out whenever I can.
Barb

mid central, FL(Zone 9a)

DD!

Sacramento, CA(Zone 9b)

Somewhat of a combination, though I voted Weekend Warrior because that's when I get around to my own plants. I'm a bit of a daily devotee too because I work with plants in some way most of the week as a student and volunteer of my college.

Great question! I had wondered about the demographic on this website just yesterday.

Murfreesboro, TN(Zone 7a)

I chose "weekend warrior" although my position here at DG is flexible and allows me to slip outside and fuss with my plants anytime I need to. The bulk of my gardening tends to take place before/after work hours and on the weekends - which is also when I have help for projects and bigger chores.

(Mary) Anchorage, AK(Zone 4b)

I am in my garden daily starting in early spring before the snow is even gone. Doesn't make sense but I am so used to wandering around just looking and recording things that I find it soothing even with there are no flowers to see. In the spring and summer there is always a lot to do so I make notes as I wander the 'back 40' and not in the mood to get down on my hands and knees. Then I go back with a plan to attack the list. Seems to work better than trying to remember who I wanted to move, prune, fertilize, replace, etc.

(Arlene) Southold, NY(Zone 7a)

I'm more prone to taking photos of things that need attention. Writing lists doesn't work for me since I either lose the list or misplace it. At this point I have many jobs in my "to do" list so it's almost a joke.

I did see a photo online of growing herbs or edibles in hanging baskets and hope I get around to doing it since I did buy the seeds.

East Texas, United States(Zone 8a)

Today, I saw something similar to the one on this pic at a local nursery. They had them in various colors around the herbs section for $35, egads! I immediately thought of how many you could buy for under $5 at resale shop or use an old one that you not longer use to plant herbs, since kitchen related.

Thumbnail by vossner
Menifee, CA(Zone 9a)

Daily Devotee here. A day without garden time, is a day I'm not at home. :-)

WIB~

SW

Jacksonville, FL(Zone 9a)

Sigh, I chose fairweather, I am a wuss when it comes to our sand gnats. In this area and at certain times of the year they swarm when the soil is disturbed as it would be if you were to yank a weed or plant something. They are known as no-see-ums or flying teeth around here and they do chew on you rather than sting like a mosquito. Sadly they prefer the most perfect times of the year when the temperature is moderate and the humidity is low. Once it gets hot (or cold) they disappear. If they are in season, I am safely in the house. Even my poor dog has a problem with them, he is so bitten up his belly looks like he has measles this week. They attack him when he, ahem, relieves himself. Insect repellent does not work for these evil little pests.

I'll be able to get back outside soon, it won't be long before it will be hot, hot, hot and the gnats will be gone.

Oh ardesia that's awful! I'd be a wimp, too. We tend to get swarms of mosquitoes here (we have a greenbelt/rainwater runoff behind our property) and they are at their peak for a couple of weeks, I simply avoid going outside if possible.

We installed a fence our first year here. It was at the height of mosquito season, and even thought I was sweltering with long sleeves and jeans on, and doused in repellent, they would find any and all exposed skin. We repeated the battle the next year trying to get mulch in the flower beds.

After that, I wised up, and started planning those sorts of activities for the "off-season."

Winter Springs, FL(Zone 9b)

Oh I'm a DD by far...I start and end my day with a garden walk around, except when on vacation. ☺

Cascade, VA(Zone 7a)

DD here too, i have early spring Cole Crop seedlings growing outside now, and i practically obsess over them, LOL! Im out there checking them out at least once, if not twice daily.

SE Houston (Hobby), TX(Zone 9a)

A combination of Weekend Warrior and DD because I do check on everything daily. I get around to my own plants full force on the weekends, or days off.

As was previously stated, "the inconvenience of my job keeps me from being a true Daily Devotee, but it pays for the addiction!"

Magnolia, TX(Zone 9a)

Other, more like Johnny Appleseed with wheels...

St. Simon's Island, GA(Zone 9a)

Amen to the sand gnats! And the yellow flies will run me out of the yard also. I am a fair weather gardener, I guess. I don't get out when it is below 50 to work in the yard, and I try not to be out in the heat of the day when it is above 90. Most of my yard is summer perennials, so not too much to do in the winter, anyway.

Magnolia, TX(Zone 9a)

Have you tried using that citrus and aloe rub on your feet before you go out into those skin burrowing sand gnats? I have watched fire ants curl into spasms from that concoction,

I've not heard of that one but I tried one called No Natz that is better than nothing but these evil little critters get in your eyes, nose and mouth and if you don't wear a hat they will be biting your scalp.

Happytail, everything has a trade off, right? The rest of the year makes up for sand gnat season on the sea islands.

Hillsborough, NC(Zone 7b)

I don't want to be a Fair Weather gardener but I find I am....
Sunny and not too humid - spring and fall.

If the mosquitoes are out...I am not ....
If I see a snake...I let it be and I find something else to do....
If the sun is blasting and not a breeze...I have poor staying power.....

After a rain - I am there weeding if none of the above
When spring is knocking..I am putting some things in the ground taking off the pond screens...tossing in the barley bags and taking care of winter dieback...

When fall comes...I rake and blow...screen the stream and pond.... and mulch and back in I go if the cold wind blows....

I ain't proud.

Menifee, CA(Zone 9a)

Kittriana, Please tell me about your aloe and citrus concoction. I am terribly allergic to red ants. One bite and I am sidelined for at least a day, and often more. I don't have problems using citrus topically, but am allergic to eating citrus. Also, I found out that the Lemon essential oil does not contain ascorbic acid. And was wondering if I can use that for making the concoction. Hoping for a remedy.:-)

WIB~
SW

St. Simon's Island, GA(Zone 9a)

Yes, please share the aloe and citrus stuff. Love to find something that works. They get in my hair, and drive me nuts!

Magnolia, TX(Zone 9a)

In Tx many years ago, was a sunscreen named 'Bullfrog'- it was lousy as a sunscreen. Its main components apparently were aloe with an orange citrus base. I discovered accidently the frantic reactions of the fireants in contact with this on my feet. Literally spasmed double removing themselves. I have no idea if the stuff is still around. Had found it at Walmarts back then.

Menifee, CA(Zone 9a)

Thanks for sharing the information about the Bullfrog ant repellent 'sunscreen'. If I can't find any, I'll play around with the known ingredients and see what works. :-)
WIB~
SW

We always have fire ants around here, I will surely try the Bullfrog idea. Disturb the hill, spray the Bullfrog and run like crazy. LOL Wish I could think of a way to get it 6' into the tunnels where the queen resides.

Magnolia, TX(Zone 9a)

Oranges from Florida- NOT the edible kind!- the ones that can blister your mouth are the orange citrus I speak of, 6' deep only? Fire ant mounds have been known to be found 80' deep, good luck with that!

Menifee, CA(Zone 9a)

Huh? All oranges make my mouth blister! Do Florida oranges have more acid in them? Which kind of acid repels the ants I am wondering? Is it the ascorbic acid or the citric acid? Hmmmm.

Ardesia, I read someplace that they can tunnel twenty feet underground. I did have success in eradicating some fire ants that were getting established in the greenhouse by pouring several pans of boiling water down their holes. You never know it might help you. Especially if they have just moved in. Hope this helps.

WIB~
SW

The one bright side to a particularly brutal winter is the fire ant migration gets knocked back a year or two. We're on the northern fringe of their range.

Magnolia, TX(Zone 9a)

You just dont know the joys you are missing Terry!

Terry - lucky you! Anything to knock them back is good. Even miserable weather wins over fire ants. :-)

Yes, fire ants can tunnel all over the place but I live on an island and have a very high water table. Actually they would drown if they went more than 3' down around here.

I've had my run-ins with the fire ants, so I count myself as VERY fortunate to not have to deal with them.

Menifee, CA(Zone 9a)

Try the boiling water and let us know how if works for you.

I am allergic to any red ant. They are sneaking into the plants I buy and trying to make a new home in my garden. You have to be vigilant these days.

I remember the first time I got bit, by a fireant. I was in a lot of pain for about a week. The second time I had to have a dose of epinephrine. NOT fun at all. I have been pretty good about avoiding them every since.

Hoping we can keep them out of our gardens, and off us and the kids too!

WIB~
SW

Magnolia, TX(Zone 9a)

Wonder if I mean the orange named Flying Dragons - trifoliate orange. D limonene is the ingredient, I have only ever picked up one bag of these down near the Fl/SC/Ga state line. They were potent.

Menifee, CA(Zone 9a)

Thanks kittriana. I do some research.
WIB~
SW

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.