Mid Atlantic Forum pet pics

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

I agree that goldendoodles is one of the nicest breeds. They seem so fun loving and poodles are very smart dog as are goldens so you would think that a mix of the two would be very smart as well.

Salem Cnty, NJ(Zone 7b)

I remember that, too. It was very impressive how Addy focused on SSG.

Vienna, VA(Zone 7a)

Sweet photo, critter! It must have been reassuring to the breeder that you were willing to take her if your parents couldn't care for her. The shelter near my parents' retirement community lets seniors "borrow" dogs; they can bring them back at any time, including when they're on vacation. I guess it's similar to foster pet programs in this area. I started out fostering my cat because I really didn't want another one, but he grew on me!

Lucketts, VA(Zone 7a)

I remember that with SSG and Addy. I think we were all a little awed by it. SSG had had a frightening experience with her neighbor's dog and as she was telling the story, Addy went straight to her and gave her the most loving and gentlest of attention. It in uncanny how dogs can be so in tune to humans.

Critter, that is a great photo of you and Josie.

I sure miss my dogs, but we have Riley living here now and I dog sit often. Right now, I have my neighbor's dog Tinker staying for a month while they are on vacation. She follows me everywhere and is asleep at my feet as I sit here on the computer.

Those cat/dog videos were hilarious.

Vienna, VA(Zone 7a)

I'm glad you liked the videos! When I was growing up, my family had a boxer who let kittens sleep on his head; then came an Irish Setter who would not eat her food until she was sure the cats didn't want it.

Anne Arundel,, MD(Zone 7b)

loaner dogs! awesome concept!

Vienna, VA(Zone 7a)

It is, isn't it? It's sort of a no-brainer for retirement communities where people have plenty of time on their hands, but also want to travel, etc. The dog park in my parents' area was a busy place!

Silver Spring, MD(Zone 7a)

There's a fancy condo in DC that comes with pets that you can "borrow." Busy professionals who can't take care of a pet full time just rent the condo dog or cat for a few hours of play time.

How cool is that!

Our libraries have been doing Tail Wagging Tutors/ Paws to Read programs. There are volunteers with certified therapy dogs. They sit and listen while kids read to them. Families like this a lot, and so do the dogs and volunteers. So does staff! We love having a dog visit!

One dog is a Dog Scout. He has a vest covered in badges he has earned.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dog_Scouts_of_America

Vienna, VA(Zone 7a)

That's too funny about the condo pets! Who takes care of them the rest of the time?

I've heard about the Paws to Read program, but what do the Tail Wagging Tutors do? Sit with kids while they do their homework?

Tail waggin Tutors is reading, same thing. Not sure why the two different names. I think it is because Paws to Read is a particular therapy dog association, and TWT is a different group.

Vienna, VA(Zone 7a)

That's a great idea. The kids must find it easier to read when no one corrects them.

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

Some of the Humane Societies have a program like this, too.

Vienna, VA(Zone 7a)

I'm glad people are thinking of these things; it's so much better than leaving the animals in cages all day. They get socialized that way as well.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.