cypress vine

Milwaukee, WI

I have cypress vine seedlings growing under lights. They get 3 to 6 inches tall then the fine delicate leaves start to dry-up and turn brown.Is it too much heat (60-65f) too much water(misted with water and captan mix),too much or too little light,too much or too little air circulation(fans) or something else?I have many other perreniels and annuals growing in the same area without problems.Any thoughts? Thanks

Elgin, IL(Zone 5a)

Hi. There was recently (January 29) a discussion that will help you. Cardinal vine and cypress vine are very similar and have the same requirements. Please have a look at this thread. Your plant is mentioned.

But just quickly, this is a plant best direct sown when temps rise.

Donna

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1385742/

This message was edited Mar 6, 2015 5:56 PM

Pueblo, CO(Zone 5b)

If the bottom leaves brown first, it may be too much water. If it is the top leaves, then it could be 1) too little water, 2) too hot near lights, or 3) already outgrew its pot (as DonnaMack mentioned)

Rochester, NY(Zone 6a)

Hi collacolla - Just saw your post about starting cypress vine indoors. Having grown it for several years (to please my hummingbirds) I agree that it's very easy to start outdoors in my Zone 5/6 border garden about May 20.. I rub seeds on an emery board or sandpaper, soak overnight, drain and place on a damp paper towel or coffee filter, wrap in plastic wrap or plastic bag and leave in a warm place for a day or two. Seeds usually have sprouted by them and can be planted immediately in warm soil. They grow very quickly and will be vining within 1-2 weeks.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.