Germinating Begonias & Imps......

Topeka, KS

Although I've gardened the majority of my 60+ years, I'm a bit new at propagating from seed.... ( since retirement)

Been propagating vegetables/annuals from seed for about 5 years now.... Using all (most) of the correct tools & procedures & having just enough knowledge to be dangerous.......... My question..... Will temps of 82F - 84F for about 4 hours of their 16 hour light cycle ( the remainder being around 75F) destroy the tuberous begonia & New Guinea Imps (seeds, that is)?

This message was edited Feb 22, 2015 8:08 PM

This message was edited Feb 22, 2015 8:53 PM

Topeka, KS

Ummmkkkkk........ I'll answer my own question.......... I've got $5 invested LOL .........

Restarted both my begonia & New Guinea Imps......... Maintained a temp around 75F & had good germination in 10 days......

I'd forgotten to remove three of the four 6500K bulbs from the fixture in my germination chamber & it was driving the temp up another 8-10F over my digital therm setting.......

Florissant, MO

Hi gltrap54,

Just curious ... are your bulbs T5's or maybe even T5/HO (high output)? I wouldn't have thought that T12 or T8 bulbs would have caused that much of a temperature rise.

The info on the bulbs may be helpful to others who read your post later.

Art

Portland, OR

I am not having very good luck with begonias or impatiens. This is my second planting as I think my heat mat may have caused too much drying the first time. So, I am glad you got it figured out. I am still waiting for sprouts.
lilmiss44

Topeka, KS

Art, they are T8 bulbs...... I should clarify that the bulbs were inside my "germinator" ....... Red Green style............

Thumbnail by gltrap54 Thumbnail by gltrap54 Thumbnail by gltrap54
Florissant, MO

Thanks gltrap54,

If I would have read your other post, I would have known they were T8 bulbs :-) I am surprised that they produced that much heat though. I know that T5/HO bulbs really get pretty warm but never had any problems with the T8's and heat .

Art

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.