Stubborn Seed Coats

Marietta, GA

To anyone who knows:

We are having unusually cold weather in Atlanta this year, as is true of most of the rest of the country, and I'm wondering if that is the reason my tomato seedlings are having trouble shedding there seed coats. The cotyledons are not separating the coats, and I think I'm going to loose some of the few I planted.

Does someone have experience with this. The coats are not even opened enough that I can help tease the seed coats off.

Lily

Salem, NY(Zone 4b)

They are called helmet heads and have nothing to do with cold weather, for they just happen.

The best way to get them softened up is to coat them with some of your own saliva, wait a couple of hours and do it again, and wait an hour or so and then try to gently open them manually and if that doesn't work then use eyebrow tweezers to do it.

Saliva is filled with many enzymes that will help break apart the larger molecules in the seed coat,

Carolyn

Marietta, GA

Thanks Carolyn,

I read your post this morning about your health challenges. I feel sure there were complications if you are going through all of that after a laparoscopic surgery. Thank you for taking the time to answer Dave's Gardeners inquiries, in particular mine.

I will try your suggestion for the spit baths immediately. I'm concerned that the little plants will die before they can open.

Lily

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.