Why I haven't been here to DG lately

Salem, NY(Zone 4b)

I thought it might help if I shared what's been going on with me since early january without going into all the details.

Major medical problems. On a Monday in Jan two huge stones were removed from the major bile duct. The next day another surgeon removed the gall bladder itself via laporoscopy. I was sent home in two days which should never have happened , knowing I live alone with an old cat, but Medicare and other insurances have shorteded such times.

Only quite recently was I allowed to go from my bed to the computer, which is here in my bedroom and found that I couldn't do this I couldn't do that, so then found my DG password just two days ago.

I have very good local help since I can't prepare food or do this or that so Martha and Freda, whom I know well have been doing that and the Connie the RN and kristin, the PT, both of whom I've known before are also here quite frequently.

And my local primary care MD has been outstanding and she has made two home visists as well.

So without posting all the details of what is still happening I just want you to know that I hadn't forgetten DG.

My next major goal is to be able to get out to my LV/DR,which is down an 8inch step and always a challenge with my walker so I can watch TV, use my recliner chair, keep up with my obsession re tennis and nearer the literally many hundreds of books I have yet to read, although martha has been bringing some back to me and bringing new ones which I read sitting on the edge of my bed.

Carolyn

Ozark, MO(Zone 6a)

That's progress, Carolyn - wishing you the very best and a speedy recovery. That 8-inch step needs to be a walker-friendly ramp, maybe someone local can fix that for you.

I sent you an email about another matter this a.m.

Liberty Hill, TX(Zone 8a)

It's really good to hear from you. I've been wondering where you've been. I hope all is well as soon as possible.

Murfreesboro, TN(Zone 7a)

Carolyn, it's great to hear from you - I hope your recovery continues and you're able to do some gardening this year :-)

Salem, NY(Zone 4b)

Sam, I got your e-mail and will get back to you eventually.

Terry, I haven't been able todo my own gardening since I fell on Dec 12th, 2004 which put in me in this walker when I severed all 4 quads in my right leg. I still grow some tomatoes in containers in the backyard but someone has to raise the plants for me and Freda takes care of all my many perennial beds and the tomatoes in containers as well as cukes and carrots and greens, etc., all in containers.

And now the BEST news, IMO. A week ago or so Freda turned on the TV in the backroom here, my tomato seed packing table room, ahem, and I was shocked b'c I thought my TV in the LV room needed to be on to enable the wireless connection to allow for viewing back there.

She said the batteries in the remote were dead and she had replaced them and all was well.Actually there are two remotes back there and both are different from the one in the LR and I had been trying to turn on the TV back there with the manual controls prior to all of this.

So we did a dry run this AM and Bingo, it worked and the first station I went to was the tennis channel, Freda laughed, since watching tennis is my obsession, I do have other obsessions but my current restricted yes and no foods don't allow for those others.LOL

Kristin the PT says we can try to get out to the LV down that 8 inch step in maybe a couple of weeks. I've always been able to do that before without problems except for the time when I fell but that was due to a potassium level of 2.4, went by ambulance to the ER, and ended upon the cardiac unit. Sigh.

Martha isout in the kitchen now preparing both lunch and dinner, if you will.

And so it goes,

Carolyn

Laceys Spring, AL(Zone 7a)

Carolyn, Great to hear from you. Sorry about your latest illness and wishing you all the best as you continue to recover. Glad to hear you have good help to keep you company and to see to your needs.

If you enjoy birds, especially eagles, here is a link to something to watch now and then. This is a nest of eaglets near where we live. Cute watching the parents feed the little ones. They were born a little over a week ago. Well, the first one anyway. Thought you might enjoy it when tennis wasn't on now that you have your computer up.

http://www.berry.edu/eaglecam/

Edited to add that you can 'rewind' to a point where a feeding or nesting exchange is taking place. It can be boring just to watch an eagle 'sit'.

This message was edited Feb 20, 2015 11:36 AM

Cleveland,GA/Atlanta, GA(Zone 7b)

I don't post much on Tomatoes but do lurk. :) Sure did miss you. Get well soon.

SE Houston (Hobby), TX(Zone 9a)

Welcome back, Dr. C!
So glad you can get to the tennis courts again.

I'll keep you in my prayers for a speedy recovery.

Linda

Miami, FL(Zone 10b)

Hi Carolyn,

It's good to hear you're getting along again. I hope you have as speedy a recovery as possible. I think of the many new tomato seeds you gave to me over the years. I still have many of them in my stockpile.

I've been off DG for a few years but am back again with the winter tomato news from South Florida. I've cut back a bit as I can't dig holes very easily any more and have been using ebs and large containers. My in ground plants didn't go well this year but the others are still putting out.

You've been the biggest help to me over the years and I thank you and again wish you a speedy recovery.

Flip

Springboro, PA(Zone 5a)

Glad to hear you are making it through another rough patch! I always read through the Tomato Forum just to see if you've posted anything. You are an amazing resource and I always learn something new. Wishing you all the best!

early_bloomer

Buffalo, MN(Zone 4a)

Good to hear from you Carolyn. So frustrating to not be able to do the things you want to do. Keep plugging away-I hope that you will be back to your old routine before long.

Springboro, PA(Zone 5a)

Hello Carolyn. Hoping you are doing well.

early_bloomer

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.