Cordyline

Wheaton, IL(Zone 5b)

I have successfully propagated Cordyline 'Ruby' by cutting the stem and putting it in water til it roots. I purchased a tricolor cordyline last summer and wonder if I can propagate it the same way. Anyone have any experience with these?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Elija - did you root just the top part of the cordyline? I've had a couple of them and obviously don't know how to take care of them as I end up with 1 to 2 ft of bare stem with all of the leaves at the very top. Sadly, they end up in the trash because they look so pitiful. But perhaps your method might help me with a future plant.

Wheaton, IL(Zone 5b)

Cindy,
Yes, I just cut off the top part of the plant with the leaves, and left about 2-3" of bare stem, which sent out roots in the glass of water. Also, the original "bare stem" will send up another stem, like when you pinch back an annual, or another shoot will come up from the soil. I've made lots more plants with this method. Just hope to do it with the tri-color cordyline now, since that's such a beauty - or at least it was during the summer!

Good luck.

Thanks for sharing your technique. Knowing that I can possibly salvage the plant will encourage me to purchase another victim since I really like the shape and color.

Wheaton, IL(Zone 5b)

Took a chance and cut the top of the plant off and put it in water. Success! The top stem rooted in the water, just like the red Cordyline, and I also have shoots coming off the base stem in the pot! Now I'll have lots more 'Miss Andrea' plants!

Thumbnail by Elijablue Thumbnail by Elijablue

Thanks for posting those follow-up pics. I haven't yet picked up another cordyline after reading your encouraging post but I do plan to do it.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.