Companions to tomatoes

Marietta, GA

We are planning to plant around 6-8 tomato plants in the ground in front of a 16 foot cattle fence that I've located at a local store. Because I am not into weeding, I have read, and plan to try planting basil between the tomatoes. Has anyone tried this and had success in keeping down weeds and promoting the health of the tomatoes?

We are also planning to plant tarragon beneath the eggplants and oregano beneath the peppers. If nothing else I think the garden will smell good.

Salem, NY(Zone 4b)

Basil is not going to help keep down weeds and same for any other herbs.

To keep down weeds between the plants you should consider mulching between them and around them. What options do you have for mulching? Natural ones such as saved grass clippings and the like or plastic mulch, for instance.

Louise Riotte has an excellent book about companion planting, years ago I tried some, with controls, which is necessary and was very disappointed.

If you aren't saving your own seeds from non-hybrids you might consider Borage, blue is better than the white, since it draws the bees that help pollinate the blossoms.

Hope that helps,

Carolyn

Marietta, GA

Carolyn,
Thanks for your response. Since I posted this inquiry on the 9th, my DH and I have decided to use straw bales to grow the tomatoes we were planning to put in the ground. That will help with the weeds and we should be able to grow the peppers and eggplants that will be in the same garden space in bales also. Tomatoes in the back row, eggplant and peppers in the row in front of them, then a row of just peppers in front of them.

Also, herbs can be grown in straw bales so we may combine both in the bales if some additional research shows that that looks feasible.

About mulch. My husband says we can keep grass clippings when he starts cutting again, but we don't have any on hand, We can use the clippings between the rows of straw bales or we can purchase pine straw. Our lot is 1.4 acres, and we probably have a half acre in grass. One days cutting would provide plenty of fresh mulch if we don't have to season it. Can fresh grass clippings be used? It sounds like plastic mulch is harmful to the environment: am I correct (somethings about trapping methyl bromide in the ground)?

Even though herbs won't keep weeds down, that issue seems to be resolved with straw bales and mulch, so growing herbs in the bales with the vegetables will be a space saver and I may be able to plant some flowers in with other herbs in my newly designated herb garden, a formerly shady spot where Hostas were very happy and are now very sad and ready to move.

I am so happy to hear from you about our issues. Your sterling reputation precedes you; we value your input.

Lily

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.