Germination differences within the same starting container

York, PA

Is it normal to have vast differences of germination times of the same flower family (different variations) within the same starting container?
The soil, soil temperature, and humidity levels are exactly the same. I have a high germination rate on Antique Shades Pansies, yet four(4) rows down have not had a single Atlas Mix Pansy germinate at all.

Jiffy seed starting wafer, 79.4 degree soil temperature, 82% humidity, UV light 12 hrs. per day.

Fort Worth, TX(Zone 8a)

I think so. Some never germinate either.

York, PA

My enthusiasm needs to have a date night with my patience.

Overnight, four of six sowed Atlas Mix Pansy seeds pushed their seed leaves a good 1/2" through the soil. Looking closely, it appears the last two(2) will show in another day.
Now it's up to the Begonias to end the showing(s).

Everett, WA(Zone 8a)

It's totally normal for some seeds to germinate faster than others, even within the same variety. Age matters, storage conditions matter, and individual seeds vary from one to the next.

Some species and varieties will have long and varied germination rates. In some very difficult species, where seeds have strong dormancy and their needs may not have been entirely met, experts suggest saving the tray of seeds if few came up when expected. "Keep it until next spring, and more may well come up!"

Elgin, IL(Zone 5a)

"My enthusiasm needs to have a date night with my patience". That's great! May I borrow that phase?

Sometimes seeds from the same package sown side by side show marked differences. I have experienced what Rick has experienced.

York, PA

Quote from DonnaMack :
That's great! May I borrow that phase?

LOL! Have fun with it!!

I'm coming up on day 14 with my seeds. It amazes me how much things change within just hours/days. I believe after Sunday I'll tabulate my germination rates as most of what was missing has in some way or form showed itself sine I started this thread.

Elgin, IL(Zone 5a)

Don't you love it?

Staten Island, NY(Zone 6a)

I have the same experience I sowed 18 seeds and 14 germinated , then about a week later 2 came up and just yesterday 1 more came up.All of them were stored together.

Liberty Hill, TX(Zone 8a)

I have had seeds germinate that were in the "toss" pile. The germinated plants had already been potted up and I was emptying the cells only to find some tiny plants growing...they had not been watered in a long time. I have no explanation. Lol

Elgin, IL(Zone 5a)

Voodoo!

Lake Stevens, WA(Zone 8a)

Mother Nature is smarter than us!

Pueblo, CO(Zone 5b)

I have had seeds take twice as long as they should and make me worry about replacements. And I have seeds that were supposed to take a long period of "cold stratification" decide to sprout in less than a week.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.