No Roots for this witch hazel

Hillsborough, NC(Zone 7b)

I havehadthis in the kitchen in a glass of water for almost a year-- 9 months.
It buds andI think it is tryingto loom ( the witch hazel I took it from is in bloom now)

Should I try dirt?
I wanted to watch for roots but nothing

Thanks

Thumbnail by missingrosie
Lake Stevens, WA(Zone 8a)

Hi missingrosie-
I read up on propagation of witch hazels a few years ago. It depends on what species you have, how hard it is to root cuttings. Cuttings are apparently difficult for some types, mainly because even if they root a lot will die the next winter. However you might try rooting hormone, in a pot. Generally it seems rooting hormone really helps. Depending on the species,May-August seems like a good time to do it.
What I am trying is layering from my established tree (Hamamelis x intermedia 'Pallida'). Here is a link to my thread. I figure this spring I am going to look for roots. If there are roots I will detach the new plants from the mother plant this year.
It seems most named varieties of witch hazel are sold as grafted plants, because it is easier than cuttings.
What kind of witch hazel do you have?

I believe it is Jelena. I have rooting hormone. I will try it. Amazing it has done so well in that glass of water. I always wash and fill it with very warm water ...it must like it. I think it is going to bloom. I don't think I can layer. Too far to the ground. It is rather upright and only about 4 feet tall. I planted it on a nice sized cultivated mound of great dirt to give it a while before it gas to tackle the clay. I plan on more witch hazel. The deer avoid like the plague and I really like the shrub. Will get some spring and fall bloomers. Right now enjoying the winter daphne- intoxicating fragrance and so beautiful. Edgeworthia getting ready to open too. Along with the witch hazel - those two are the only winter fragrance and bloomers that I have.

Jelena is beautiful, I hope this works, and you can try this summer too.

I will thanks for suggestion. I thought perhaps I harvested it at the wrong time. I never propagate -- just purchase at local nurseries - and thought I'd give it a try.

recommendation for fragrance. Jelena not all that fragrant.

This message was edited Feb 8, 2015 12:17 AM

Fort Worth, TX

when I air layer I have only had success by stuffing spaghnum moss in the cut, and packing potting soil around that, the whole thing wrapped in handi wrap, and squirting water in the top weekly. Am about to try this on a vitex bush.

Let us know if it works-I planted a Vitex last year, might want to make more it it is not too hard.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.