Growing Grapes

Tampa, FL(Zone 9b)

I have decided that I want to start growing grapes this year. I primarily want them for eating purposes and not for making jelly or wine. There are so many varieties out there, I have no idea what is the best kind to grow in Tampa. . I have never run across and grape vines for sale around town (even in HD/Lowes), so I can’t use that as a reference. I know I want a self-pollinating/self-fertile variety that tastes great

Has anyone here been successful in growing grapes here in Florida? If so, what kind did you grow and where did you get the vines from?

Happy Gardening,
Shauna

Clermont, FL(Zone 9a)

Audrey used to grow muscadines in her front yard. That's about all I know.

There is a vineyard up 27 that is open to the public. They grow them for wine making. Maybe you could visit there when your up this way again. me just came to me. It's Lakeridge Winery.

Good luck.

Tampa, FL(Zone 9b)

I have reached out to a couple of nurseries and the type they recommend is muscadines as well (which is what I was suspecting). The variety they suggested is "Triumph".

Tampa, FL(Zone 9b)

I went into HD last weekend and noticed some of the spring crops are starting to come in. They didn't have any grape vines there, but I called my local Lowe's and they said they had 3 grape vines in stock.

So, guess I am making a trip there when I get out of work. :-)

Shauna

Winter Springs, FL(Zone 9b)

You'll have to keep us posted how they do. I know Lakeridge winery in Clermont grows their own grapes, I wonder if you could call them and get advice on what kind to plant for Central FL.?

Tampa, FL(Zone 9b)

OK, so I went out and bought two of the 'Sunbelt' bunch grape vines from Lowes as well as 2 'Triumph' muscadines that I ordered online. The Sunbelts are black grapes and the Triumph are considered a bronze variety (even though they look green to me). Both varieties are self-fertile, and I am hoping to get them in the ground this weekend. My plan is to alternate the plants when I plant them (muscadine, bunch, muscadine, and bunch) all the way down the fence line and I am going to try to get them trained to grow on a chain-link fence between my house and a neighbor. That side of the yard gets full sun most of the day and is near my butter fly garden, so I should get lots of pollinating visitors once the vines break out of their dormancy.

Shauna

Make sure you post photos ☺

Clermont, FL(Zone 9a)

Years ago Charlie made a huge arbor and was growing to grow grapes. It grew like crazy and plenty of leaves and vines but no grapes. We later learned it took male and female plants to make grapes. You should have seen what he tore down. Tons of vines and we never tried grapes again. So much for experiments Sure hope you get some grapes.

Tampa, FL(Zone 9b)

Supposedly both of the varieties are self-fertile, so I shouldn’t need “a mate” for them. All of them are bare-root now, so I am waiting to make sure they start growing before they end up in the ground.

Will definitely post pictures, once they get growing.

Jacksonville, FL(Zone 8b)

We have a muscadines grape vine that is around 60 years old. And it is growing on a fence. It is self-fertile. But remember some are and some are not

First make sure that the vine done NOT climb up the fence Put a stick in for it to go up to the top. It can strangle itself on the fence/or damage the fence.

The most bunch grapes do not do good here in Florida.

Bunch grape vines are not pruned the same as Muscadines. Bunch grapes vines are usually hard pruned the Muscadines are not and they can take over so make sure you plant the grapes vines far apart. Our vine covers over 20 feet of our fence and would cover more if I let it. It keeps trying to take over our 60 year old fig tree and it is over 10 feet from the vine trunk.
Prune first in winter but not to close to spring as the vines bleed if they are getting close to leaf out. You can cut back after the leaves are out and it will not bleed like a water faucet .
Here is a great sight where you can both buy grape and find great info.
http://www.justfruitsandexotics.com/JFE/product-category/berry-plants/grapes/

Ft Myers, FL(Zone 10a)

I don't like the taste of muscadines, so ordered 2 'Thomcords' from Stark brothers nursery last year. I know you're supposed to trim, but I want grapes like right now. The vines are already leafing out and I have tiny clusters of grapes beginning to form on both vines. I'm also further south than you, and having luck with this type.

Tampa, FL(Zone 9b)

Finally have little leaves starting to sprout on one of the vines. :-)

Brooksville, FL(Zone 9a)

Shauna

Have you put then in the ground yet?

Jan

Tampa, FL(Zone 9b)

Jan, yes, they have been planted and I have signs of life coming from both the muscadine varieties.

The 2 bunch vines from the Lowe's clearance rack still show zero signs of growth.

Shauna

Taylor Creek, FL(Zone 10a)

Shauna I will check with the fellow who grew up in this house. He mentioned a vineyard on the south side of my yard.
Sidney

Tampa, FL(Zone 9b)

Thanks Sidney :-)

Brooksville, FL(Zone 9a)

cool to hear you got signs of growth. Can't wait for later to see the grapes.... plan now to get netting so you will get some grapes first instead of the birds...lol

Jan

How cool, can't wait to see how well they do, I do think critters could be trouble.

Tampa, FL(Zone 9b)

Plant #3, my $3 Lowes clearance Sunbelt vine, finally has signs of life and has it’s first small shoot of leaves coming out. :-)

Brooksville, FL(Zone 9a)

hurray........

Clermont, FL(Zone 9a)

Shauna,
How are the grapes doing?

Ocoee (W. Orlando), FL(Zone 9b)

Walmart has grape vines....muscadine....

Tampa, FL(Zone 9b)

I have some nice vines growing, but no signs of flowers or grapes yet.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.