FL Vegetables?

Ocala, FL(Zone 9a)

Anybody care to share any pictures of FL vegetable gardens, plantings etc ? Here are some pics from this week

These are turnip,fennel,varieties of kales, and collard, closeup of red russian, trays of romaines and mini bok choys

With the price of produce, I am on a mission to grow as many different things as a can this year

Thumbnail by tony9779 Thumbnail by tony9779 Thumbnail by tony9779 Thumbnail by tony9779 Thumbnail by tony9779
Clermont, FL(Zone 9a)

I sure agree with you. Not just the price but freshness from home grown can't be beat. Looks like you are doing very well.

Tampa, FL(Zone 9b)

I started my veggie crops a bit late this winter, so they are just now producing. Harvested some of the broccoli Sunday.

1. Collard greems
2. Broccoli close up
3. Broccoli plants
4. Cauliflower
5. Romaine

Shauna

Thumbnail by shauna1219 Thumbnail by shauna1219 Thumbnail by shauna1219 Thumbnail by shauna1219 Thumbnail by shauna1219
Winter Springs, FL(Zone 9b)

Nice, I wish I had the room to grow vegetables.

Tampa, FL(Zone 9b)

I have set up the back corner of my yard for growing veggies and try to cram as much as possible in the beds. The free space is so limited, "mowing" has to be done with a weed wacker.

I think my biggest problem is too much shade from the oak trees. I don't have a single area that gets more than three hours of good sunlight in a day.

Ocala, FL(Zone 9a)

Wow Shauna those are some nice veggies there. I have never been able to grow nice heads on our broccoli here. We have harvested collard greens and kale a few times in the past couple of months.

Tampa, FL(Zone 9b)

Thanks Tony!

I usually have decent luck in growing winter veggies, as long as I can keep my dog out of the beds. She is a digger and thinks any empty spot of dirt is her playground (even if the empty spot is only 8 inches wide). We had to take a bunch of old pallets and build a redneck fence around the beds to keep her out.

It’s the summer crops that often give me a hard time. Between the earworms in the corn, the hornworms on the tomatoes and the aphids everywhere else, I am constantly fighting summer pests. Not to count the high humidity, which sometimes leads to fungal problems.

Shauna

I have trouble with critters. I do have pepper plants in pots, but think I'm giving up on the tomatoes this year. Going to be gone when they come to peak time. I still have some peppers on my plants now, guess I better take it in the garage tonight...going down to 30° and tomorrow night over 10 hours in the 30's.

The colored peppers are called Gypsy and taste like bell peppers, just not as big, but take the Florida heat well. This photos taken last week.

Thumbnail by sunkissed Thumbnail by sunkissed Thumbnail by sunkissed
Tampa, FL(Zone 9b)

A couple of shots of my cauliflower heads. :-)

Shauna

Thumbnail by shauna1219 Thumbnail by shauna1219
Leesburg, FL(Zone 9b)

I have very limited space... I am growing herbs this year, mostly for Cats and butterflies.

I do want to try tomatoes this fall... I guess my problem will be that I'll be a snow-bird.
From what i've read, there are 2 seasons for tomatoes in FL .... I have seeds, but feel I may have to buy plants and I will do them in large pots instead of in the ground.

it will certainly be a learning experience for me.

I've done tomatoes in large pots for many years now with great success. I've actually seen people in RV campgrounds with their tomatoes in pots, they say they put them in the shower stall when traveling and bring them outside once they stop over somewhere. ☺

Melbourne, FL(Zone 10a)

I lean more towards vegetables from warmer climates most of the year. Amaranth, Sissoo Spinach, Orach, New Zealand Spinach, Ethiopian Kale, Variegated Collards, Chaya, Katuk, Sunset Hibiscus, Tanier Spinach, Malabar Spinach, Seminole Pumpkin, Tromboncini Squash, Aji Dulce Peppers, Long Beans, Wing Beans, Sweet Potatoes, Galapagos Tomatoes, Eggplants, Okinawa Spinach, Longevity Spinach, Ashitaba, Blood Vein Sorrel, Cucuzzi and Cranberry Hibiscus just to name a few.
I'll need to work on getting some decent pics.

garduncan2, would love to see your pics. Where do you find seeds for your plants, not the usual seen in the catalogs.

Ocoee (W. Orlando), FL(Zone 9b)

I think I'm too far behind on my veggies to attempt them...but I'll probably crack and pot a few anyway.
I DID however get my basils underway today. Sweet basil, lemon basil, Anise basil, Thai basil, Lettuce leaf basil, and Cinnamon basil.
Tomorrow I'll get my mints potted up. So far I have sweet mint, chocolate mint, orange mint, lime mint, lavender mint, and lime mint. I'll eventually put some of the regular mint in the rocks of my koi pond water fall and see if it flourishes there. Not sure, but it's worth a try! :)

Clermont, FL(Zone 9a)

Expect to be eating yellow squash this week. Green beans are blossomed. Tomatoes are on the vine. Don't have many tomatoes but sweet 100's usually produce a lot even tho only 4 plants. Can't wait. Brocc. is up but don't know how it will fare in the heat. That wasn't my idea. Okra is up about 9 inches.
Have spent so much time dipping leaves from ponds hard to find time for vegies.
MM went to Garden fest in W. Garden yesterday. Was very crowded and very nice. Glad they had shuttle buses.
Happy gardening all.
Bonnie D.

Leesburg, FL(Zone 9b)

Bonnie -- my neighbor, who is a master gardener, told me about the plant sale in Winter Garden last weekend, she said it is one of her favorites. I just did not have the time to get over there. There is a Native Plant sale in P.E.A.R. Park on Saturday -- I'm going to try to get over there. I missed it last year. Hoping to find some native Milkweeds.

Terese

I'm so sad I missed it this year! I completely forgot it was even taking place! Bummer! I hope your friend got some great goodies!
Bonnie...eating fresh veggies yet?

Clermont, FL(Zone 9a)

Picked 2 little yellow squash today and fried them up with onion, bacon pieces and boy did I gobble them up. Charlie likes to add cut up canned tomato's bit I forgot to add them. My dgt. used to make a fresh squash salad and it was marinated. Got to call her as soon I will have squash out of my ears. MM come over if you would like some I can let you know when they are ready. The green beans are loaded with beans but they are very small. I can wait. Don't have a very big garden but hope to do more come winter. All I need is more energy. LOL

Bonnie,
I have plants I need to deliver to you. Are you around on Thursday?
My basil seeds have all sprouted, hooray! I planted 6 different varieties so I'll be good for summer cooking! For some reason, my parsley didn't come up, I may have to start with plants instead of seed.

Chichester, NH(Zone 5b)

I haven't got much garden "in-the-ground" space so this year I'm trying more vertical types of gardening. I have 1 U shaped container garden that has Chinese Cabbage still going strong along with some kale. I just planted some long beans and cucumbers also in there to run up the back trellis. On my other tiny inground garden I have some squash, long beans, kale, peppers and various herbs growing. My vertical gardens I have lots of kale, parsley, celery, peppers, tomatoes and herbs growing. This year I'm trying to grow lettuce throughout the summer in my Tower Garden.....I'm trying to grow veggies I'll actually eat and we eat a lot of lettuce....so far it's working, it's more like cutting lettuce right now but that's ok, it's about 2 1/2 weeks. I have cucumbers, peppers, spinach and swiss chard also growing in the tower. I've planted some stickless wonder beans (short long beans) in pots along with basil.

Thumbnail by astcgirl Thumbnail by astcgirl Thumbnail by astcgirl Thumbnail by astcgirl
Chichester, NH(Zone 5b)

The Chinese Cabbage were delicious this year....great for stir fry.

Thumbnail by astcgirl

Very interesting! I don't have much space, so I'm looking at a sort of hydroponic idea using the wet rocks that will be around my koi pond water falls. I know my different flavored mints will work there, but not sure what else.

astcgirl, that is very intriguing, I'd like if you keep us posted on how the garden does through out the summer. I'm very interested in the vertical growing, since I don't have room for in ground vegetables. Everything looks so healthy good.

Zephyrhills, FL

This thread needs some action!
We just planted a LARGE container veg garden, and have a few questions:
Something keeps breaking our young watermelon strands. There are little baby melons on them, untouched. Any ideas?
Also, blueberries... suggestions on fertilizing, or don't?

Gainesville, FL(Zone 8b)

Quote from Syo :
Something keeps breaking our young watermelon strands. There are little baby melons on them, untouched. Any ideas?

Gainesville, FL(Zone 8b)

Quote from Syo :

Sorry you never got a reply. I used to be a bit of a regular here but the forum became so political I had to leave. Too low signal-to-noise ratio.

I'm growing fresh vegetables a lot in "self-watering" containers these days - back problems keep me away from tillers and too much bending. I'm fortunate to have a fairly large semi-enclosed pool deck area that makes maintenance more easy (though it's not great for the deck of course). I can move the planters as the seasons change, they're easier to work with (don't require tilling, can be individually fertilized and topped-off with media, easier to weed).
If I understand your question correctly, I think your watermelons might not be getting pollinated. The tiny fruit form then fall off if there is no pollen available.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.