Dry Season Coconut blues- have I lost it?

Arua, Uganda(Zone 11)

I have five coconut plants which are about 5 years old and been growing slowly. This one is now looking very poorly, it's new shoot having completely dried up. Has it died? Will it recover in the rain season (in about a month/or a month and a half from now). Should I be watering it (I would rather not as it is far from the nearest source).

Any suggestions. Thanks

Thumbnail by Mvule
Acton, CA(Zone 8b)

not looking good... needs water for sure.

noonamah, Australia

Try pulling the new shoot to see if it will come out. If it does it's definitely gone. If it doesn't pull out it's not necessarily gone. In any case, you're best not to rely on arrival of wet season rains. A few waterings through the dry season will make a big difference.

Arua, Uganda(Zone 11)

Ok thanks. I had assumed that Coconuts were pretty drought resistant but obviously not.

Arua, Uganda(Zone 11)

The young leaf has rotted at the base so I guess it is a gonner

noonamah, Australia

They're not really drought tolerant but because I have a pretty long hot dry season I've seen some good efforts by some. Probably about 8 years ago I laid out some germinating nuts in shade but far from any irrigation. They only got wet season rain. Most died but a couple are still surviving although looking really bad and still very small. I just left them go. A row of about 20 planted by the previous owner of my place had irrigation initially. But the previous bloke later stopped it. I never reconnected until the last couple of years. The palms were surviving except the last couple of years the dry seasons got hotter and drier. So I gave them some trickle irrigation just for the dry season. But coconuts are far better looking if they get plenty of water.

Arua, Uganda(Zone 11)

Maybe I should move the remaining ones to a wetter spot then. They are not trunking yet. Though one that is in partial shade is doing well I think.

Arua, Uganda(Zone 11)

Rains have returned and the coconut sprouted a new leaf after all!! So I am very happy about that.

Thank you all for your input though.

Thumbnail by Mvule
noonamah, Australia

Looks like it went through a bit of a tough time while it was developing. Until it gets a bit larger and more established a bucket or two of water every now and then during the dry season should see it through.

Arua, Uganda(Zone 11)

yes. Last minute watering saved the day!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.