Short Plants

Westbrook, ME(Zone 5a)

I'll be re-planting an area on top of my retaining wall next spring. It was planted before but has since been cleared out. The plants before ended up being too darn tall for the area. I need short plants - 12" or under. It's mostly sun, heavy clay soil - moist in spring and dries out like brick in summer. Of course the soil has been ammended so it's not that bad right now. Plants that are doing well on the other section of this retaining wall are - creeping phlox, dianthus deltoides, alyssum saxatile, sedums and iberis sempervirens.

I need suggestions for some other short plants -hardy to zone 5. Hopefully tolerent of neglect without being invasive.

Hi Sue,hope this helps: http://www.rmrp.com/

Sue,Portulaca comes to mind and blooms it's head off,in about any soil,plus reseeds'

One I'd like to try in the future is Androsace

http://www.google.com/search?q=androsace

A local nursery which only opens for a few months in Spring always has a few species and I'm always tempted to buy them. I need to sort out some space first though!

Wonderful link Baa,thank you' I like the Androsace baltistania very pretty' but I'm one for white flowers in my gardens,shady or not,lol'

Sis

They have white species too! :)

Poppysue

How about Draba species and Adonis?

This message was edited Thursday, Nov 22nd 5:31 AM

Westbrook, ME(Zone 5a)

I'm a little nervous about some of the fancy alpine plants. This area remains pretty wet early in the spring after the snow melts. Not a real good spot for plants the need sharp drainage.

Baa - Draba was one of the plants that I took out of there. It never really did very well. I don't know why - it's doing better were I relocated it out back.

I'll probably mostly stick to the same old reliables that always do well. I really don't want to fuss too much with this area - It's a hard section to water because I have to drag the hose all the way around the house and up on top of the wall. I thought maybe some alpine asters and the shorter campanula species would be worth a try. Maybe a few short bedding annuals for extra summer color. White alyssum always does good there. Maybe some verbena and helicrysum too. I guess I'll have all winter to decide!

Oh I know Baa,soo beautiful too' Can't wait for spring to get started on my alpine deck,lol' My little unknowns are still blooming their heads off. One is a deep magenta the other somewhat lighter shade of purple'

Sue,my allysum went nuts this year and now want to get the purple' I dearly love that plant'

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.