Home projects for winter, more bright ideas in the mid-at

Anne Arundel,, MD(Zone 7b)

I'm going to order cellular shades for bedroom. Is white too boring? Is beige or brown too apt to become dated?

Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

What is a cellular shade? The puffed up looking ones?

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

Sally, I think it really depends on your rooms color palette. I tend to use more tans and off white, but I do use white in some rooms. My daughter has pretty much all white cellular shades in most of her rooms, she likes and uses very bold colors.

Salem Cnty, NJ(Zone 7b)

I just looked at my pics searching for one of the sink I got. I never took one. Must remedy that tomorrow.

Silver Spring, MD(Zone 7a)

Sally, we have cellular shade in almost every window. It's similar to the color Daylight on that website.

We decided to get slightly off white, because pure white was just too bright. Off white blended in with the wall color better.

Like Holly said, it would depend on your color preferences and the colors that you already have in your bedroom. That Beige looks a little too yellow to me, but it might work if you already have yellow or gold in the room.

oh, thank you, ssgardener! I think Daylight sounds good then. I would really not want to add yellow tones.

Salem Cnty, NJ(Zone 7b)

Window coverings are the hardest for me. I would like someone to give me two or three choices, THEN I think I could narrow it down.

Here is the sink I got off Craig's list. I really like it. I know it is a kitchen sink, but I like the idea of the drain board in a bathroom.

Thumbnail by Jan23
Lucketts, VA(Zone 7a)

What a great idea, Jan. Thanks for posting it. A drain board area would be handy.

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

Great sink!

We put green cellular shades in the guest room -- not bright, a nice woodsy green. I knew I wanted green on the walls and wasn't likely to change that (such a nice restful color... and I've stenciled a fern border), so the color goes nicely. I also really love the light that comes through the green... wonderful soft color, reminds me of waking up in the morning when camping with my family as a kid, gentle light coming through the top of our green canvas tent. :-)

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

Jan, Love the sink. I bet it is going to look great.
Critter, Sounds lovely.

Awesome sink. I'm sure you and Jeff will turn it into a great bathroom plan. I would not have imagined it in a bath- how do you see using it? the drainboard becomes part of the counter?

Have to admit the green shades sound really nice. That could go in my living area, already in green

Salem Cnty, NJ(Zone 7b)

Just hang it on the wall. No counter. The drain board will be the counter. My hope is to keep things put away in the closet. It is 42" wide, so is quite large. Looking for a wall mount toilet, too.

Interesting! Unique!

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

I like the idea of the wall mount toilets, makes doing the floor so easy.

Salem Cnty, NJ(Zone 7b)

The wall behind the toilet will be in our closet, so Jeff can put in a removable panel to access the tank and the pipes. I like the idea of being able to clean the floor without it in the way.

I need your input, please. For the floor tile......light grayish tones or beiges tones. Which will hide dirt better? There are tiles that look like wood that I am liking.

Lucketts, VA(Zone 7a)

What color is your dirt? Seriously, sandy beige soil like beach stuff or more dried gray mud? I love the look of those wood-type tiles and it will work so well with your vintage sink.

even the tank is in the closet? wow radical.

Something I watched/saw said the bleached wood look of either of those planks/ tiles is 'in.' I think grey matches my floor dirt better.It seems that dirt ends up grey. I think either, just your color pref. I agree, they'll work well with your look

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

I really like the wood look tile as well, but then I can go to the store and find a half dozen tiles that I would put down in a minute.

Lucketts, VA(Zone 7a)

Jan, I love decorating/designing with vintage items and that sink is great. As for tiles, I've been seeing a lot of the wood look on HGTV type shows lately and they always look nice. I've always been partial to grey tones, but go with what feels right to you.

Salem Cnty, NJ(Zone 7b)

Thanks, guys!! We had some tongue and groove breadboard up in our room. Jeff took it down carefully, so, it could maybe be used again. My thought is to use it horizontally as a whole wall installation in the smaller bedroom and put a light grayish wash on it after stripping off the varnish. He kind of looked at me a little funny, but everyone I mention it to seems to like the idea. I'd need to experiment first. That would be across the hall from the bath. I'm leaning toward the lighter gray tiles.

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

Our projects are pretty much on hold recently. Neither of us can put our back into it anyway. Jan that sink looks like the one that was in my apt. kitchen in Trenton. That kitchen was as small as a WC.

Salem Cnty, NJ(Zone 7b)

Progress is continuing on the reno. Jeff has this week off. Let's see: subfloor is all laid, studs for the walls are up, pocket door kits are bought, grandykids have been entertained, and holes for electrical wires are being drilled.

Thumbnail by Jan23
Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

Never did get the stairwell done, oh well there is always next winter.....

Lucketts, VA(Zone 7a)

Mike hasn't worked on our stairwell wainscot project since January. All the tools and materials are still sitting out and he has to step over them every time he goes to the basement, but he doesn't seem to be motivated to keep at it. Story of my life...

Salem Cnty, NJ(Zone 7b)

I hear you.

Jeff was back at it this afternoon. Early this morning he was busy, but then little Thomas came, so he babysat while I went to a Bible Study.

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

One of these days the urge will hit us and we will jump back into it.

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

or the weather will improve and we will jump outside!

Lititz, PA(Zone 6b)

Haha...Aspen! Hasn't poor Mike been busy fixing your driveway and then the pond? Perhaps if you had a clone of him, the wainscoting project would be complete...Lol

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

Once I move outside it is unlikley that anything inside will get done.

Lititz, PA(Zone 6b)

Lol...I hear that Holly. I'm chomping at the bit to get outside. I only have some minute things to do inside to finish so I'll be getting outside for the first time this season this weekend.

Lucketts, VA(Zone 7a)

LOL sequoia - all you men stick together. He also says it is the other unexpected things that happen that get in the way. I say NO excuse, he should be able to multi-task HA HA HA... Really, if I am being fair I do have to mention that he did install new storage cabinets in the garage for me and had to move a water line and spigot to do it. He grumbled about WHY I need more storage cabinets, but we won't even go in to that :)

Lititz, PA(Zone 6b)

Haha Aspen...too funny! You have that poor guy working his fingers to the bone :) Does he have a full time job (other than working around the house) as well?

Lucketts, VA(Zone 7a)

It seems to me that his full time job is avoiding any projects that I want him to do...

This message was edited Apr 10, 2015 11:48 AM

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

Quote from aspenhill :
I do have to mention that he did install new storage cabinets in the garage for me and had to move a water line and spigot to do it. He grumbled about WHY I need more storage cabinets, but we won't even go in to that :)

LOL Yes, why is it that most projects require extra work, usually a whole different project that needs to be done before you can even start the new project. Doesn't he know that you can never have enough storage?

Lucketts, VA(Zone 7a)

His full time job used to be an auto painter, after 30 years he switched to sewer and water line repair. The bonus to the job is that he has access to all kinds of heavy equipment - dump trucks for hauling, mustang, back hoes, front end loaders...

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

Hey what is a Mustang doing in that list of heavy equipment?

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

Oh Ric just clued me in, here I was thinking shinny red car.

Lucketts, VA(Zone 7a)

It isn't a Bobcat, but I can't spell skid steerer...

Lucketts, VA(Zone 7a)

Holly, LOL. We actually have used our automobiles (truck, jeep, even my old saturn) as heavy equipment to move rocks before.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.