It snow challenge at all...

Vienna, VA(Zone 7a)

Well, okay, I'll let you off the hook this time ....

Is #15 a Magnolia?

Scott County, KY(Zone 5b)

Time's up!

I went back, and filled in identities to all the snow-clad residents here at the Valley.

Just in time for a new 7" predicted for overnight...

Vienna, VA(Zone 7a)

Thanks for letting us know!
I really like that Euonymus atropurpureus; it has a very nice shape.

Wahoo!

It is one of the more desirable native Euonymus sp. which is at home in calcareous soils. The other (a bit more diminutive and shrubby) is Euonymus americanus, which one finds more often as understory in acid soils.

Euonymus atropurpureus seeds itself in around the Valley. There are some nice strains that have rich reddish to orange fall color, and the fruiting characters make quite the show after leaves drop.

Thumbnail by ViburnumValley Thumbnail by ViburnumValley Thumbnail by ViburnumValley Thumbnail by ViburnumValley Thumbnail by ViburnumValley
Vienna, VA(Zone 7a)

I wish we could grow Euonymus americanus around here. Where it still exists at all, deer keep it pruned to a few inches high. About a year ago, I planted seedlings in the forest several feet into bramble patches. I didn't see them this summer, but then again I didn't look very hard. Fingers crossed.

Camano Island, WA(Zone 8a)

This has been tremendous fun. I wish I could contribute but I've had a great time just following along. Thanks.
BTW, still no snow for us here. The nearby ski area is hurting for business. Usually they have tons of snow and this year they have bare rocks.

(Robin) Blissfield, MI(Zone 6a)

Momlady, the west coast is the only warm region on the continent right now, I sure hope you're enjoying it! As for the contribution aspect of the challenge, I proved I couldn't contribute, lol.

VV, thanks for the chilly challenge in snow, you've got many little beauties. I'd like to come down and dig out one of those Euonymus atropurpureus seedlings that are especially rich red in the fall.

Of course we could also (well, I should only speak for myself, I suppose) see some more pics of Nyssa sylvatica 'Zydeco Twist' too. And perhaps, if you're not too tired, I would very much like to be better acquainted with Bella quadriped as I'm sure she has a few photogenic angles and some equally pleasing characteristics...

Bella has taken time from her full schedule to consider - and grant - your request for an audience.

Thumbnail by ViburnumValley Thumbnail by ViburnumValley Thumbnail by ViburnumValley Thumbnail by ViburnumValley Thumbnail by ViburnumValley

Nyssa sylvatica 'Zydeco Twist' is an interesting plant.

I should have much more information to include here, but unfortunately my first foray at growing this plant ran head-on into the 2007 Easter freeze. Three young individuals were then vanquished, along with many other plants that thought they were enjoying life in zone 8 after weeks in the 70s and 80s in February and March. Four nights below 20ºF with a steady north wind in the first week of April ended that charade.

That said, here are a few images of 'Zydeco Twist' upon which to gaze longingly...

Vienna, VA(Zone 7a)

What a sweet-looking dog, although in the last photo she looks a little ticked off.

The weather is crazy. Mid-20's today; tomorrow might hit 45, then it's supposed to get back down to the 20's.

I think you all in the Mid-At are getting the snow we were promised out of this storm. Don't think it amounted to an inch overnight, and it's been above freezing all day with drizzle - still a balmy Speedo-weather 38ºF now.

I spent the afternoon as human Zamboni, smoothing out the slush in the driveway so that I can get out after it all freezes solid tonight.

Bella is more of a timid little beagle. Ticked off is not in her DNA, though looking pitiful (image #2) is her strong suit and wins her all kinds of attention. When plowing through the snow, she's all business on her all-nose pursuit of wascally wabbits.

Anne Arundel,, MD(Zone 7b)

the many moods of beautiful Bella the Beagle!

(Robin) Blissfield, MI(Zone 6a)

Please thank Bella for me; with a big sloppy kiss...she sure is a little beauty. We had a rescue that was half beagle half sheppard...I think she looked mostly beagle, except she was taller and her ears and dipstick were shorter. She will be loved and remembered forever.

I'm sorry to hear about your Nyssa sylvatica tradgedy but appreciate you sharing the pics you so wisely thought of capturing. Pic #3 is pretty cool with the ominous shadows of the large trees behind the darting branches of an adolescent. Pic #4 is an absolute 'must have'.

Thumbnail by Mipii
Eau Claire, WI(Zone 4a)

Bella has all the appearances of a dog leading the good life. Long naps, treats, and chasing rabbits -- it doesn't get any better than that.

How long have you been growing that choice Styrax? Do you expect it to sail through this winter without any difficulties?

I don't expect any winter injury on Styrax obassia, but this will have been the coldest weather it has experienced at the Valley.

I will have to do some archaeology and see when that went in the ground. I grew it out from seed I collected from trees I planted at Gainesway Farm. Those have been growing there since 1993, and have experienced far colder winters with a plum...

Eau Claire, WI(Zone 4a)

I planted S. japonica at the other place, but it didn't survive its first winter. Complete death. I'm thinking S. obassia is the one I should've tried, being from Manchuria...

I've never heard you mention anything about a dog before. Is she new to the pack and what do the cats think of her?

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.