CONTINUED Sweet Ozark Orange free seed offer for 2015.

Ozark, MO(Zone 6a)

Continuing my offer of a free pack of Sweet Ozark Orange tomato seeds, now for the 2015 growing season. These are F6 generation seeds saved and fermented in 2014, and this new OP tomato variety is believed to be stable.

For a free pack of seeds and information sheet, send a stamped, self-addressed envelope to:

Sam Wammack
P. O. Box 111
Ozark, Mo. 65721

If you're in a country other than the U.S., there's no problem - postage has been standardized at $1.15 to all addresses worldwide. If you're in a place where you can't easily get U.S. stamps OR money, there's still no problem. Just D-mail me your address.

For full information about this new tomato, see the previous seed offer thread where we talked about it all last year. Happy gardening! - Sam

Thumbnail by Ozark Thumbnail by Ozark Thumbnail by Ozark Thumbnail by Ozark Thumbnail by Ozark
Lewisville, MN(Zone 4a)

If you need to look back, 2014 thread;
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1347317/

Loved these tomatoes, will be ordering some.
Bernie

Wyoming, MN

Sam was very happy with this tomato produced for a long time too will get more from you.
Gary

Sierra Foothills, CA(Zone 8a)

We had tomatoes until December. Thank you. Delicious!

Evelyn

Grants Pass, OR(Zone 8a)

Real glad that you are continueing this offer. Sent a sase last month, excited to try this variety.

SE Houston (Hobby), TX(Zone 9a)

Sam,
I started mine new batch a couple weeks ago. Will pot them up tomorrow into 5 oz. paper cups. Transplanting into the raised beds on February 14th.

Hope to do better than last time (family crisis put the garden on hold, and they never got in...)

Allen Park, MI(Zone 6a)

SASE in the mail

Grants Pass, OR(Zone 8a)

The SOO seeds arrived this morning! Thanks Ozark! It's going to be hard to wait until it's the right time to germinate them.

Marietta, GA

My SASE is in the mail today. Thanks for the offer; I look forward to growing your beautiful tomato.

Hutto, TX(Zone 8b)

Sam,

I'm going to send an envelope this week. I'd like to try the current generation rather than the seeds I saved from two years ago. I am determined to have at least a few tomatoes in the ground this year! Hopefully I won't be too late starting the seeds.

David R

Wyoming, MN

Received my seeds on Monday. Look forward to growing them again this year. Thank you Sam!

Ozark, MO(Zone 6a)

I received a DM today asking if I still have S.O.O. seeds. Yes - the offer will stay open all season, I won't run out of seeds.

Liberty Hill, TX(Zone 8a)

David if you are too late I'm right there with you....but I know your area gets warmer earlier then mine...either way I think you will be fine.

Hutto, TX(Zone 8b)

Lisa,

Starting seeds today! (Do you need any wire cages, or know anyone that would want some?)

David R

Yes, I've meaning to get back to you...I could defiantly use some cages but I'll dmail you. Got a lot of irons in the fire ATM.

Lincoln, NE(Zone 5b)

Got my seeds awhile back, thanks Sam!

My SOOs are looking outstanding, Sam!

No grass growing under my feet this year, LOL!

Hardening them off this week for plantout next Saturday.

Hugs!

Linda

Grantsboro, NC(Zone 8b)

Are any of these seeds left? I just retired and am gonna try to have a garden this year

Lavina

Ozark, MO(Zone 6a)

Linda - Glad to hear SOO is doing good for you this year. You're going to like them!

LavinaMae and others - I've got plenty of SOO seeds saved to keep this offer going all year. Just send a SASE for a pack of seeds - I'm mailing them out every day now.

Marietta, GA

Sam,

Received my seeds and have six in seed starter and on a heat mat in my den window. Nothing up yet, only planted on the 25th, but will keep you informed in case you want to check progress in different areas. Have not been fertilizing my seedlings so progress is usually slow, but may reconsider for this season: I need to read more.

"Lily"
Juanita A.

Jackson, MO(Zone 6b)

I sowed Ozark Orange Tomatoes and had poor germination last year. They didn't make it to maturity. We have sown many tomatoes so it wasn't inexperience, but don't know what happened.
Anyway, we would like to try your tomatoes again.

Marietta, GA

Hi Ozark,
In regard to Sweet Ozark Orange, I have had good germination, with four of the six seeds I planted up and growing: actually ready to be transplanted. Only Black from Tula (6 of 6 seeds), Nieves Azorean Red (5 of 6 seeds) and Chocolate Stripes (5 of 6 seeds) germinated at a better rate. Three tied at 4 of 6 seeds including Kellogg's Breakfast, Mortgage Lifter, and Brandywine Cowlick. The two that did not do well were Brandywine Yellow Platfoot at 1 of 6 seeds and Brandywine Cherry at 0 of 6 seeds. I need to replant those two.

I planted a total of nine varieties on the same day as Ozark Orange and it is about in the middle as far as grow in height is concerned. The seeds were planted in an organic seed starter in a self watering (bottom watering) 36 cell pack purchased at WalMart this year and used new. They were germinated on a heat mat and have been under grow lights most days. I don't have room for all my little plants so have to alternate them in the best spots. All are in a South facing window in my den, and not exposed to the elements.

All the tomatoes I had planted earlier, at 7 weeks prior to Good Friday, are transplanted in doubled 16 oz red plastic cups in a combination of potting mix, perlite, and seed starter with some watering crystal added. They all seem to be doing well and growing.

I hope this information helps you.
Lily

Ozark, MO(Zone 6a)

Thanks for the information, Lily and birder. I tested S.O.O. seeds for germination last year and this year prior to sending any out, so I know the seeds are close to 100% good when they leave here.

What might happen to them while the post office has them is beyond my control, of course. Also, seed-starting is an uncertain business and failures can happen that are no one's fault. I have plenty of S.O.O. seeds and can always send replacements if anybody needs some - just ask.

I planted my tomato and pepper seeds indoors four days ago. None are up yet, but maybe I'll start seeing some tomatoes in another day or so.

Jackson, MO(Zone 6b)

I will send you SASE if that is okay?

Hutto, TX(Zone 8b)

Planting my saved seed from generation four starting seed (5th gen). I wonder how much divergence you'll see from people saving their own seed?

Ozark, MO(Zone 6a)

birder, that's fine. I'm mailing out Sweet Ozark Orange seeds every day, there are a bunch of them going out tomorrow.

David, I haven't seen any divergence in the S.O.O. strain at all since the one plant bearing big orange fruit appeared in the F2 generation - so unless someone inadvertently gets it crossed wtih another tomato variety they all oughta be the same.

Last year when I was growing the F5 generation I raised one plant from old F3 generation seeds (saved in 2011) to see if there were any slow changes occuring. I couldn't tell any difference between that plant and its tomatoes and the F5's, though I didn't save seeds from that one.

Growing F6 seeds this year, and I think they'll produce the same results as your seeds. The strain seems to have stabilized quickly and stayed that way.

Lewisville, MN(Zone 4a)

Seeds came yesterday. They are now in the germination chamber.
Thanks, Sam.
Bernie

Thumbnail by CountryGardens
Ozark, MO(Zone 6a)

Germination chamber. Wow, very nice! I hope Sweet Ozark Orange does well for you again.

I bow at your feet, Bernie!!!!! Is that a closet?

Lewisville, MN(Zone 4a)

No, it's a little room we built in the basement. Lined with foam.
Doors close to keep heat in. An electric heater & one florescent fixture in there.
Peppers were seeded the 16th & 17th. Came up yesterday & today. Near 100% germination.
As you can tell, the flats are covered to keep moisture in.

SOO planted 3/19 is up already.

Ozark, MO(Zone 6a)

That's a nice system, Bernie. I planted my tomatoes in Jiffy Mix on 3/15 and Sweet Ozark Orange had 100% germination, 12 seedlings from 12 seeds.

In total, 63 of 72 tomato seeds came up and all but two of the hold-outs are old Ozark Pink and Big Beef seeds I've had for about four years. Those are still sprouting and I think It'll end up real close to 100% overall.

Ozark, MO(Zone 6a)

I've had my S.O.O. seedlings in the ground for a month now, so I'm still behind folks in warmer climes. I've got nice-looking plants though, and now they're beginning to blossom.

Still sending out seeds most every day to those who plant for a fall season, to a few in the southern hemisphere, and to some who are putting away seeds ahead of time for next year. Sweet Ozark Orange seeds are still available and will remain so - just send a S.A.S.E. to:

Sam Wammack
P. O. Box 111
Ozark, Mo. 65721

Thumbnail by Ozark
Willamette Valley-OS, OR(Zone 8a)

Sam.

I was Planning on Waiting til Fall but...
I Planted 5 Seeds and I am Transplanting All 5 of them Out into Bigger Pots Today.
I May go Ahead and Plant them Out Totally...There 5" Tall and We are in Tomato Heat Wave Heaven...93 Degrees.

Thanks so Much Sam for Your Generosity.

Sam,
I ate my first Sweet Ozark Orange tomato for breakfast this morning. It was huge. It was a golden yellow orange color. It was beautiful. It was delicious.

It is now on my short list of favorite tomatoes, and, I am currently fermenting seeds for my next crop.

Thank you so much!

Linda

This message was edited Jun 13, 2015 1:00 PM

This message was edited Jun 13, 2015 11:36 PM

Ozark, MO(Zone 6a)

Thanks for the updates, folks. Linda, I'm really glad you like S.O.O. so much - that's high praise coming from such a knowledgeable gardener as yourself! I hope you get a whole bunch more of those big orange tomatoes to enjoy this year.

Hutto, TX(Zone 8b)

Linda,

Let a few ripen to deep orange (on the shelf, away from the birds!). There is a whole 'nother layer of flavor complexity and sweetness.

David

David,
I've got one ripening now! Thanks!

Do you think I can beat the first frost day if I start some new seeds next week?

Coos Bay, OR(Zone 9a)

I have my first one coming along. It's about the size of a 50 cent piece, so it will be awhile. I watch it longingly every day.
Gymgirl....Maybe you should try rooting one from a shoot coming from the axle. You know, when we prune them? They say tomatoes root easily and you would be way ahead of trying to beat the frost.

Thanks, Bee. I don't usually get good production here starting from suckers. I think the heat does 'em in. I might give it a go anyways, and start some seeds, too.

Our first frost date isn't until December 8th, and if the winter's anything like this spring has been, it'll be 90° on Christmas Day!

Lol Linds, I think you have time....

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.