CLOSED: Rose swap: Interest Thread

Ocean Springs, MS

Anyone interested in a rose swap? Open for sign-ups until Jan. 30. Names given Jan. 31.
Mail out or order deadline is Feb. 28.

1. Please send at least one full-size rose. Please keep the cost around $20.00.
2. You may buy a rose and mail it to your partner yourself OR you may order from an online source and have it shipped directly to your partner. IF YOU ORDER ONLINE AND HAVE IT SHIPPED DIRECTLY TO YOUR BUDDY, PLEASE SEND THEM A NOTE LETTING THEM KNOW WHAT THEY WILL BE RECEIVING AND FROM WHAT COMPANY!
3. You may send companion plants if you want, such as clematis, etc.
4. Please list at least the names of 2 roses you would like, your zone, or post color, type of rose (antique, hybrid, tea, climber, fragrant, etc.).
5. Have fun and don't go broke! :)
6. If you think of anything else I need to add, please let me know.
Thanks, Julie

Participants and preferences:
froggies_girl- Julie - antique yellow GrahamThomas , Veilchenblau, Wild Blue Yonder, Distant Drums or any antique, fragrant, repeat bloomers

rouxcrew- Joy- any antique, fragrant, repeat bloomers; NO knock-outs or climbers

katgroves - Kathy - anything but red

Taters 55 -Linda Kay - anything for full sun

Flogro- Tracy - anything but pink or red

This message was edited Jan 30, 2015 11:57 AM

(Linda Kay) Amarill, TX(Zone 7a)

What size roses are we talking about.

Ocean Springs, MS

Well, one full size rose would do. You could either buy one and mail OR order one from an online site and have it shipped directly to your partner. I have ordered from these companies and have great satisfaction; plus they live up to their return policy!

www.heirloomroses.com/

www.jacksonandperkins.com

www.antiqueroseemporium.com/online

Mount Sterling, KY(Zone 6b)

Sorry I can't do roses. I spent a fortune on Jackson & Perkins roses only to lose them all to the Rose virus. I love roses, but I can't grow any until they find a cure for that disease, or come up up with a rose that is immune to it. it is carried by mites, and is highly contagious to other roses and unless you get every root out of the ground it can still spread. It broke my heart to watch them die. So this is one trade I will have to sit out. I have one Pink Fairy rose that is on the back side away from the other roses that is still alive out of 25 bushes.

(Joy) Hempstead, TX(Zone 8b)

I would do a swap, I love antiques and I know that antique rose emporium is awesome with shipping. I have used them a lot for gifts.

Otway, OH(Zone 6b)

So would I

Ocean Springs, MS

Nanny, so sorry to hear about your problem with rose virus. But I know what you mean.

Joy, I love antique roses, too! Antique Emporium is a great place to buy from!

Kat, glad you are here! Check out the sites above! You'll love the variety!

Linda has the PJ swap open.
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1384534/

Clarksville, TN(Zone 7a)

We have the rose virus here as well so I'm out for this one. :(

I am in.

Ocean Springs, MS

So sorry, cville!

LK, added you!

Ocean Springs, MS

Here's a picture of veilchenblau rose available at Antique Emporium. I had one of these at my previous home, but it was too big to move. Can't wait to get another!

What are some of your favorite roses?

Thumbnail by froggies_girl

The most gorgeous color and fragrance comes from my Maggie, a fuschia antique.
Second for me would be Westerland, a deep orange rose that is postively luminous. I have one at my front gate but lost the one at the house.

Thumbnail by rouxcrew Thumbnail by rouxcrew

Starting this weekend, ARE is having a two week sale, all roses are $12. I don't know if it is mail order as well, but I will be heading out there Sunday to buy a couple replacement roses and look at their perennials.

Joy, do you have a link to the website?

Ocean Springs, MS

Here's the link, Linda Kay!
www.antiqueroseemporium.com/online

Thanks, Julie. I did not know they are in Texas.

Ocean Springs, MS

Yes, wish i could visit them! I don't see anything on the website about the sale. I'll email them.

Oh my, they have some beautiful roses!

Ocean Springs, MS

The sale is for the garden center only! :( Sure wish I could visit the center and load up!

We will have to end our orders to Joy! ^_^

Ocean Springs, MS

Thought about doing that, but the plants are sold in 2 gallon containers! Shipping to us would be costly.

Well. We will just have to plan a trip to Joy's place. I have been there, and i love her ranch.

Shipping them is as easy as removing some of the dirt to lighten up the load, but shipping is gonna cost unfortunately.
Y'all are always welcome, we love company.

Happy Birthday Joy! I hope you have an awesome day!

Thumbnail by taters55

Thanks LK. My birthday breakfast was pretty awesome.

Thumbnail by rouxcrew

Yum, I will be right there!

Ocean Springs, MS

Happy birthday, Joy! ♥ I'd love to visit, but my plate is full with my visit to TN this weekend then my daughter's trip to Salem in May. Thanks for offering to ship, but in the long run, the cost would probably even out. :)

Otway, OH(Zone 6b)

Happy Birthday Joy.

Julie, I checked out the site and the roses are beautiful.

Mount Sterling, KY(Zone 6b)

Happy Birthday Joy! I hope you had a great day!

Ocean Springs, MS

I just found a local rose grower in MS. They are about 100 miles from my house, but just might be worth the trip. I emailed them for an appt. time. Hope to hear from them soon. Keeping my fingers crossed! :)

Ocean Springs, MS

Got a reply from the MS rose grower. 1 gallon roses are $20.00. Better buys are Antique Rose Emporium!

We need at least 2 more participants. I'll keep the interest thread open for another week. Post a few roses that you;d like to receive while we are waiting to see if others join.

one of the climbers I want is
Veilchenblau

This message was edited Jan 27, 2015 5:40 PM

I like all roses, anything that can take full sun please.

(Tracy) Lk Pan, FL(Zone 9a)

I'm in for this. Anything but red or pink.

Otway, OH(Zone 6b)

I like all roses but have all the red that I need but any other color is great.

Ocean Springs, MS

Welcome, Flogro! Glad to hear from you!

Thanks, girls, for listing some preferences! Walmart has already started putting out roses in Mississippi! I need to do an inventory of what I need to replace from Daddy's memorial garden before I buy any replacements. Originally, there were 25 rose bushes in the garden, but i'm going to re-do the entire bed. Probably scale it down to about 10-12 and plant some companion plants. I have to concrete my arbor, then I can plant climbing roses on it. will probably plant a few clematis with them.

Ocean Springs, MS

How are you girls today? Some of you have listed color preferences, but do you have any preference for climbers, tea, hybrid, old antique, fragrant, etc. I only plant roses that are fragrant. To me, a rose is not a rose if it isn't fragrant! I bought a cherokee rose last year...reminds me of my childhood!
http://www.theflowerexpert.com/content/aboutflowers/stateflowers/georgia-state-flowers

I remember it growing wild around moma and daddy's property. It grew in such dense mounds that the fragrance was heavenly!

I went to ARE (antique rose emporium) yesterday and had a ball. The weather was in the 70's and although not much was blooming out there, I scored some great things. Westerland, Chrysler Imperial, two Cinco de Mayo, Crepsucle, bay Laurel, Rosemary, pink Turks cap, Mexican lime, Meyer lemon and Eureka lemon. Cost? $101.
I love antiques, no new roses or knockouts please. Repeat bloomers, smelly. Don't need climbers. Maggie, Westerland, Dame de Cour, Red Cascade, Nacodoches, to name a few.

Thumbnail by rouxcrew
Ocean Springs, MS

Joy, what a great deal on all the beautiful plants you got! :)

Will be home from my trip later today. Busy for the rest of the week, but plan to get Daddy's rose garden cleaned next week. It has five sections, plus the walkway down the middle. If I clean a section a day, plus a little of the the walkway, I can have it done in a week!

Y'all have a great day!

Clarksville, TN(Zone 7a)

I keep thinking I'll get to meet you on one of your trips here but it's always iffy with DH being so ill. :-/

Post a Reply to this Thread

You must log in and subscribe to Dave's Garden to post in this thread.