Did you exchange holiday cards...yea or nay?

(Zone 7a)
There are a total of 57 votes:

I exchanged cards with many relatives and friends and plan to continue.s
(15 votes, 26%)
Red dot

No more paper cards for me. I do ecards
(2 votes, 3%)
Red dot

cannot afford it with postage being so high these days
(4 votes, 7%)
Red dot

I'd like to stop but don't want to disappoint recipients who expect cards from me
(1 votes, 1%)
Red dot

no, I do not
(11 votes, 19%)
Red dot

This tradition is dying slowly but surely and I only send a few
(24 votes, 42%)
Red dot

Previous Polls

KC Metro area, MO(Zone 6a)

We didn't send any out this year due to the cost of stamps being so high. It's a tradition we love but can't afford.

Spokane, WA(Zone 6a)

I send out several cards and include the yearly letter to those who do not use computers. The postage price is a joke, but to those I only have contact with a few times a year, it seems worth it to me.

Kure Beach, NC(Zone 9a)

I love the tradition of cards, so send out as many as I always have. The ones I like getting the best are the picture ones, so plan on sending that kind out next year.
Barb

Clarksville, TN(Zone 7a)

No time to do so this past Christmas but I usually send out a few. We sent over 100 every year when we lived in CA. I think I suffer from Christmas card burnout. :)

Winter Springs, FL(Zone 9b)

This is the first year I didn't, due to postage cost. I have been slowly cutting back on who I send to over the years.
Honestly now with Facebook I can see photos all year long and updates on my long distance friends...for FREE. ☺

East Texas, United States(Zone 8a)

What I find amazing is that if you visit the card section in stores or If you go to the hallmark type stores , the inventory seems ever increasing. At WMs here they have an entire section of Spanish cards, I mean every occasion. You'd think that people are sending more and more cards, which doesn't make sense to me since I know my card sending today is merely 1/2 of what I used to send 20 yrs ago. Do 20-30 something's even send any cards?

Once I noticed an inspirational one for divorce, really?

I do send the birthday ones with musical chips to my Mom, it tickles her to no end and the $5 price seems worthwhile.

We used to get a lot of cards from biz, this year only from our dentist. So, who's buying/sending all the cards, Christmas or divorce, lol?

Kure Beach, NC(Zone 9a)

An inspirinational divorce card??? I hope it came with a bottle of wine!

Laceys Spring, AL(Zone 7a)

We send out around 30-35. Yes, we are getting fewer cards, but I enjoy doing it and receiving them too. This year, because we had some really great photos from an October vacation out west, I made a photo card using a couple of photos of us, and had our return address printed on the envelope. Addressed those suckers, DH put the stamps on and, bam, we were done. It only took me a few hours to get them done while listening to TV. I'll do that again. I do put a quick personal note on some of them.

As for the cost, I generally bought cards after Christmas when they were marked down, and I figure my family and friends were worth the $15 or so I spent on the postage. We also enjoy getting the letters from some that put them together and the photo updates from some we don't see much.

WTH is an 'inspirational divorce card??!! I agree with Barbie, it should come with plenty of wine!

Clarksville, TN(Zone 7a)

Or plenty of whine, as the case may be. :)

I kid you not! I couldn't resist opening and it was along the lines of new life, new you, your soulmate is right around the corner kinda crap.

Just today I walked by that particular hallmark and should have cked it they still had it or if their divorce inventory had expanded, lol

About the Christmas exchange, I would feel bad if past recipients would think I was mad at them, hence no card. But the fact is that when I'm on the receiving end, I am not in the least bothered. Kinda tricky for me which way to go. Maybe what I'll do is send cards til I run out.

Keaau, HI

My sweetheart passed away.

There's no one left to send them to.

(Zone 5a)

I used to do the whole Christmas letter thing, but it was such a stress that I gave it up. After years of not sending anything, I slowly am starting up again, but it is not to everyone and their cousin. I wrote personal notes to those I miss hearing from, people I have regular contact with, or just if someone came to mind. I took awhile to send them out, but I felt no stress of having to get them all done at once. I nearly used up two boxes of cards from I don't remember when.

Email contact is nice, I don't use Facebook, but there is something special about a handwritten note. It cannot be lost when someone upgrades the operating system and forgetting to back up, loses some years worth of emails. :)

Delray Beach, FL(Zone 10a)

I did away with all that mailing greeting cards, not just at the Christmas and New Year holiday, but year-round. I create an image using PhotoShop and email it to everyone for birthdays, anniversaries, 4th of July, Thanksgiving, national vertical blind week, etc.

For example, the 2014 Christmas card I emailed to friends and family featured a tropical beach with a palm tree and turquoise water with Merry Christmas written in striped candy cane letters across the sky. The picture was taken 2 miles away from here and I now know for a fact that those people in the frigid North have absolutely NO sense of humor.

Sylvain.

Keaau, HI

You're right Sylvain,

Being cold can completely erase one's sense of humor.

Thumbnail by Metrosideros
Concord, NC

My Son Usually Sends out the Holiday and Christmas Cards to People during the year, as i am usually busy working..but my son was Very Sick this Year so We Just Called Everyone who has been dear to us over the years.. that usually get sent one.. instead of sending out a bunch of cards..feel that it is more personal that way anyway.. to tell other people what they mean to you in your own voice on the phone. Still like physical mail and Books though any day.. rather than email and computer which to me is so impersonal..even a card is better than that.

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6b)

I have some very good photo card stock and a photo printer and we print out our own.
During the year I take photos w/ the Holidays in mind.
Pretty much custom design each card for each recipient.

Ric,
What a wonderful way to share your beautiful photos and celebrate the Holiday with friends and family. Your card becomes a gift, in and of, itself!

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6b)

Plus I have drummed up a bit of business.....lol!
Win, Win, Win!

Keaau, HI

Yup!

Thumbnail by Metrosideros

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.