Lemon tree

Saskatoon, SK(Zone 2a)

I just wanted to share my little lemon tree :)
A friend left a couple lemons behind last New Years and I figure why not try and grow the seeds. I got more than I bargained for though because all 15 seeds grew! I could only find homes for four of them plus the one I kept for myself though.
This little guy is almost a year old. It's sitting near a west facing window and only gets an hour of indirect sunlight in winter plus about 5-10 minutes of direct sunlight. I think it's doing pretty good considering.
When I last checked with friends in the fall I learned that all four of the siblings were nearly bare of leaves, maybe I'm just lucky because mine slowly but constantly puts out new growth and has only lost two leaves the whole year it's been alive.
Don't mind the sideways picture..

Thumbnail by Akiel
Pueblo, CO(Zone 5b)

I had trouble with mine loosing leaves, and it was lack of light in the winter. So yes, it is surprising that yours still has leaves. Its siblings should leaf out again when the days get longer.

St. Louis, MO(Zone 6a)

I just wanted to say way to go!! I do well to keep my established lemons alive. :)

Have you moved it outside for the summer, or is it strictly an indoor plant?

Pueblo, CO(Zone 5b)

I just moved mine outside yesterday. It had died back badly from neglect, but has three strong branches coming out from lower down. No blossoms this year, though. I am hoping it is not a grafted tree, or if it is, that the new branches are above the graft.

Lemons prefer temps over 60F, are a risk of root disease at temps below 50F, but will tolerate temps down to 28F or so. I should probably be bringing it in at night, but I am going to let it tough it out until nights get up above 50F.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.