"THINK SPRING!" seed swap DISCUSSION

Lititz, PA(Zone 6b)

Wow, that's a cool Wisteria for sure!

Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

Found my baggie of tropical Milkweed! Yay! It was downstairs...
So--ask away! I have lots....

I also have the whole Ornamental Peppers (from 2014). Never seeded them..
Both the Purple and the black are red when ripe. Don't mix them up!

So--a fresh supply of both the purple and black are available. G.

This message was edited Jan 22, 2015 9:48 PM

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

Gita I'd love some of the Ornamental Peppers.

Vienna, VA(Zone 7a)

Sally, I'd love to have some Anemone virginiana seeds.

Anne Arundel,, MD(Zone 7b)

Seq
;^)

Muddy, got it!

Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

OK! Holly---You can have as many as you want. I put 2 whole "berries" in each baggie.
BUT--you have to seed them. I did not.
***Wear gloves!*** They will burn your fingertips (they are THAT hot!
The heat will last for a couple days on your skin--can't wash it away.
Be careful...don't touch your eyes--Nose! Mouth!

G.

Lucketts, VA(Zone 7a)

Years ago I ran the spice mix for a national chain of packing plants and worked with a lot of crushed red pepper and Capsicum extract. Had to be VERY diligent when using the restroom. One was only careless once. :-(

Lititz, PA(Zone 6b)

Lol, that's all it takes GT

holy frijole!

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

With really hot peppers (habaneros, etc.), it can pay to double-glove. I found out the hard way that habs will "soak" through a latex glove. I use nitrile gloves now when handling hot peppers, since my skin has become really sensitized to capsicum.

GT, at least your work space smelled awesome!

Vienna, VA(Zone 7a)

What a shocker that must have been, Greenthumb! I've rubbed my eyes a few times after handling hot pepper suet and not washing my hands or not washing them well enough.

Lucketts, VA(Zone 7a)

Muddy, once was not enough? I knew you were tough but...

Jill, it was delightful from an olfactory standpoint for sure. Had gallon tins of oils of sage, thyme, bay, marjoram etc. The oleo-resin of capsicum was 500,000 scoville heat unit. I weighed it out in stainless steel beakers, and if the humidity was high and my skin too moist, my bare arms would start to burn just from the fumes. Hundred pound drums of ground sage were always fragrant to open, and few people get to order in garlic powder by the ton.

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

I'm about to put in an order with Collections Etc, since they're back to doing their free shipping offer. Does anybody want Easy Reach Plant Pulleys (2 for $10) or a set of plant hanger hooks (6 for $12)? Both should actually be $1 less if they give me my extra discount.

I have the plant pulleys and like them, although out of 6 I've purchased (not all from them) I did get 1 that never really worked right. see http://www.collectionsetc.com/Product/easy-reach-plant-pulley-for-hanging-baskets--set-of-2.aspx?xsell=A1

I think Holly has purchased those black metal hanger hooks; they get good reviews, and I like that they are larger on one end so you could put them on tree branches. see http://www.collectionsetc.com/Product/outdoor-plant-hanger-hooks--set-of-6.aspx/_/Ntt-plant-hooks

Let me know TONIGHT please

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

Does anybody else want to try starting heucheras from seed? Swallowtail has 'Marvelous Marble', 'Palace Purple', 'Firefly', and a surprise assortment called New Hybrids. I'm thinking Firefly and New Hybrids for sure, would be glad to split.

Vienna, VA(Zone 7a)

Thanks for the offer, critter, but I'll pass for now.

Greenthumb, it didn't hurt enough to teach me a lesson, maybe because it was a lot less potent than the stuff you were handling!

Lucketts, VA(Zone 7a)

Interesting timing Jill. Just this late afternoon I winter sowed some Heuchera sanguinea 'Vivid'. Have successfully started several Heucheras from seed. Some require 30 days of cold, moist pretreatment.

Vienna, VA(Zone 7a)

I'm hoping the Heuchera americana I sowed last year comes up this spring. I don't think it had a long enough cold/wet period.

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

How do the H. sanguineas do for you? Maybe I can swap you some 'Firefly' for some 'Vivid' this spring or fall. Looked like any of the Heucheras should do OK winter sowing... do you do cold/moist in the fridge or just winter sow?

The H. villosa hybrids seem to do best for me due to heat & humidity, but I've had good luck with a few others. 'Marvelous Marble' has a reputation for being tough. I'm thinking there might be something to the idea of growing from seed or from small bare root plants, in order to get plants that are more accustomed to our growing conditions.

If the idea of a surprise assortment appeals to anybody, I have both sedum (with chaff) and salvia mixes on my "haves" list. :-)

Lucketts, VA(Zone 7a)

H. sanguinea 'Ruby Bells' do fine. Really like H. s. 'Snow Angel' but have not found it as durable. H. villosa and H. v. 'Caramel' do well, so does H. americana 'Marvelous Marbles' and H. a. 'Dale's Strain'. I would be happy to swap for some 'Firefly', assuming successful germination.

I prefer winter sowing in open containers to stratifying in the fridge. Baggies in the fridge tend to get moved around, overlooked, and discovered months later. When I winter sow I don't have to do anything else until the seeds germinate in the spring.

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

Thanks! I added 'Marvelous Marble' to my cart also. Heucheras and cucumbers; what a combo. I also prefer winter sowing.

Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

David--

How did all the plants do that I got you from HD? The ferns and the Astilbes?

I habe a bunch of seeds of the Stinking Iris. Do you want them all?
Obviously--I will not be needing them.

The S.I. location is now occupied by Monkdhoods. I moved them in hopes
of them doing better there. More sun. We will see......
G.

Lucketts, VA(Zone 7a)

Gita - they were all doing fine this fall. Don't look too perky right now. ;-)

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

Mary at Swallowtail Garden Seeds says I can add to my order tomorrow (before noon please) and still get free shipping... so this is LAST CALL if you want to put something in my shopping cart! http://www.swallowtailgardenseeds.com/#gsc.tab=0

Looks like the Burpee's free shipping code still works, also. It's on any order, no minimum, code "FSHP15"

Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

Seems I have duplicate listings on my HAVES! Don't know how that happened???
I do not remember starting 2 postings of my haves.....Weird!

Anyway--please look at both--as i am recording people's WANTS on both.

donner--I have plenty of seeds for Italian basil. They will be in my BIG BOX.

Sally--don't pay me for the jams--just consider it gas money. OK?
This pretty much breaks even, as I usually give you $10 for gas.
G.

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

Gita, why not make sure you have everything you need on the first post and then just delete the second? I know the whole post won't go away, but you can delete the contents... just put "oops" or "duplicate post."

Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

That is an obvious solution----

Now--How would one explain that--my original POST was right below David's.
Now--Sally's is between David's and mine????

Something fishy going on.....

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

About the only wants I have are flutterby attractors. Milkweeds, golden rods, Joe Pye, iron weed, and such.

This message was edited Feb 1, 2015 11:14 PM

Vienna, VA(Zone 7a)

I've got lots of Milkweed, Joe Pye, Goldenrods and other flutterby delights for you, Ric.

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

I'd appreciate some thanks.

Vienna, VA(Zone 7a)

You're welcome; I'm glad you're interested!

annapolis, MD(Zone 7b)

Ric I should have some plants of all of the above for you this Spring. Are they for your yard? Will you start them in the greenhouse or au naturel?

Anyone have or interested in sharing a pack of Yard Long Beans called "Gita"!!!? Available from Johnnies...
http://www.amazon.com/Gita-Yard-Long-Snap-Bean/dp/B009M9QYBY

Posting some limited quantity seeds for
Lemon Queen Sunflower for those wishing to participate in a multi year citizen science bee count project.
Also Borage, a bee attracting annual herb with edible flowers, leaves and stems.
And State Fair Zinnia.

Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

Well--I am famous for long beans???? better than nothing...

Odd... Just FYI the name "Gita" is familiar to anyone from India.
it is a goddess/concept of all things wise in life...or something like that.

Their VERY holy book, called Bhagavad Gita is almost like a Bible.

http://ced.ochs.org.uk/courses/bhagavad-gita?gclid=CIPsrMy6w8MCFU8vgQodzRMA5Q

Would these beans have an origin in India?
G.

annapolis, MD(Zone 7b)

Here is the link for the Lemon Queen Sunflower bee count project.

https://www.greatsunflower.org/

Site also sponsors several other 'pollinator friendly' projects and challenges for 1015 gardeners.
They also have a downloadable set of Bee Identification cards.

I just added that I can share fresh parsley, lovage, alyssum, and waltham butternut (Heaven knows why I bother with parsley the voles love it, and Lovage is just a whim...)

Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

Sally--

I don't grow parsley either (from seed). because when i buy a pot of it
from a nursery--there are at least 6-8 plants in it. Same goes for Dill or
many other herbs. My parsley from last year is still green. it will re-grow
this year--I know. I had SO much of it--thinking of the Cats...and only saw 2.

I have not started anything yet. I think i will not be growing too many seeds
this year, even though a have a slew of seed baggies put aside with a note:
Grow in 2015......

We will see.....g.

Silver Spring, MD(Zone 7a)

Sally, you have fresh parsley? How would you be sharing them at the swap? I'm going to sow some parsley soon, probably in the next couple of weeks, but I could use some fresh parsley right now!

I have a double white amaryllis, most likely Marquis, that I will not be keeping. Is anyone interested?

It looks like this: http://www.adrbulbs.com/plantname/Amaryllis-Israeli-Marquis

The bulb is so huge that it has already produced a pup, and the second bulb is sending up leaves. It probably needs to be divided this summer.

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

Holly would probably adopt it,if no one else does.

Ok, I'll put Holly down for it. :)

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

SSG, Would you like bulbs from my miniature Amaryllis. They are just tiny now but make quite a pretty plant. There are short green leaves that make a pretty all years long house plant. That puts up a nice flower stalk. Mine is getting ready to bloom now.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.