"THINK SPRING!" seed swap DISCUSSION

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

You've found the DISCUSSION thread!

Here's the place to chat about seeds we have, seeds we're looking for, wishes we can fulfill, and so forth.

Remember to post on the main seed swap thread if you plan to come to the party, or if you'd like to participate via mail and need a "Seed Fairy." (We need Seed Fairy volunteers, too!)
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1384143/

We also have a thread for posting "HAVE" and "WANT" lists so that information doesn't get lost in chatter. Please post ONCE there, then edit your post as needed.
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1384145/

This message was edited Jan 8, 2015 10:32 AM

Thumbnail by critterologist
Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

My dining room table is full of seeds again, LOL. We're getting ready! Joyanna has picked out her seeds and is excited about sharing them. She'll trade for anything pink.

:-)

Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

My table is full of seeds as well. Seems it is never clear no mater what.

Just finished with all the CC cuttings (that took over 2 days)---before that,
it was full of X-mas stuff--before that--gift wrap and boxes and tissue paper,
etc...etc...

Trade for pink? You will have to grow an African Foxglove. Something different.
It will be tall and straggly--but have beautiful pink flowers. I have seeds--
but they are a few years old now.
G.

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

I've been avoiding digitalis on the premise that I didn't want anything that could be "one bite poisonous" with all the little kids around here now. (I don't grow castor bean or datura, either) Is African Foxglove in the same genus?

Many of my seeds are "a few years old." No worries as long as they've been stored reasonably well (don't let them get wet or much over 90 degrees)... mine are in a dresser drawer. Most seeds can go at least 5 years without much difference. After that, germination % begins to drop, but you can still get a few going -- and if you want more than a few, save seeds and grow more next year. There are a few exceptions, like parsnips and maybe delphinium?

You've all probably heard my answer to a lot of questions along the lines of "Do you think this plant is just dormant?" "Is this seed too old?" "Is it too late to plant this bulb?"

If you don't plant it, then it definitely won't grow!

I'll try starting any seed harvested after Y2K, maybe even older if it's something I really want!

Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

Here, Jill.

http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/897/

I grew it only one summer. It grew too tall and sprawled for my taste.
The blooms are so pretty. The seeds are very hard to harvest.
They are NOT anything like the usual Foxglove seeds.

Sally wrote an article on this plant and it has pictures in it from me--
in detail--how and where the seeds are.
G

edited to add link to Sally's article.

http://davesgarden.com/guides/articles/view/2928/

This message was edited Jan 9, 2015 10:46 AM

Lucketts, VA(Zone 7a)

I ordered these from Burpee and will have a few to share. They looked different and interesting and although I don't do (or have had much luck) with seeds I'm going to try a few this year again. Not sure what else I'll be ordering, if anything. I will have to look through my seed stash to see what is left from previous years - probably some things to share from there.

Zinnia Queen Red Lime
http://www.burpee.com/flowers/zinnias/zinnia-queen-red-lime-prod001534.html?omn2pd=sh&catId=&

Morning Glory Cotton Candy
http://www.burpee.com/flowers/morning-glories/morning-glory-cotton-candy-prod001519.html?omn2pd=sh&catId=&

This message was edited Jan 10, 2015 10:44 AM

Lucketts, VA(Zone 7a)

You think after enough times of doing this I'd get it right and put discussion here and not in the HAVES/WANTS. So, Holly from where I first posted about the Zinnias in the HAVES/WANTS thread where you answered that you want some, I've got you down. I'm editing my HAVES/WANTS post to just list the items.

Vienna, VA(Zone 7a)

Critter, I was thinking of your motto today as I was sowing seeds in the forest clearing along the creek. I kept thinking that I hadn't picked a good spot and should find a better place, then realized that if the seeds stayed in the baggies, they definitely wouldn't grow!

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

LOL Aspenhill, Didn't even notice where I was posting. I will have to pay more attention, too.

Lucketts, VA(Zone 7a)

I just ordered these - couldn't resist the name LOL. Who wants some?

Long Tall Sally pepper
http://www.burpee.com/vegetables/peppers/sweet-peppers/pepper-sweet-long-tall-sally-hybrid-prod022617.html?omn2pd=sh&catId=&

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

Teri, That's one you'll have to share with Sallyg, LOL

Vienna, VA(Zone 7a)

I had a thought about those garden magazines and books we all collect: how about putting them on a separate table at the swap?

Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

hmmmm--I have stacks of them. I never buy anything from them.
Just don't need it or want it. no room in my garden for new stuff...
G.

Vienna, VA(Zone 7a)

I'm not thinking about catalogs - those can be recycled - but rather magazines. Of course, magazines can be recycled as well, but others might enjoy reading them first.

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

That's a good idea, Muddy, both for the seed swap and for future swaps. I was thinking we might need a separate table for "if you can use it, please take it" items. We often end up with more than one gift table item per person, as people find garden books and other things they are done with but think somebody else would still enjoy. After everybody has had a pick (or two!) I generally declare the remaining items available to whoever can use them.

We could make that more official this year... put your "best" item on the gift table, and if you've brought something else to share, put it on the "take it if you can use it" table. If we need a few extra items for everybody to get an initial pick, we'll "borrow" a few for the gift table. We'll go in order (usually according to game results) to the gift table, but people can pick something at any time after lunch from the extras table.

The "extras" table would be a good place for pass-along magazines, too.

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

Aspenhill, great name and tasty looking peppers! I'll start a few to share at the spring swap, if you have extra seeds. I'd love to try those zinnias, too, just a few seeds for a pot.. they look unique, similar in effect maybe to the "antique shades" pansy strain. Thank you!

Gita, thanks very much for the info and the link -- I'd forgotten about Sally's article! *blush* I would very much like to try a few of your African Foxglove seeds.

Muddy, could I please try these from your stash?
Liatris spicata 'Floristan'
Scutellaria incana
Solidago caesia

Greenthumb, you always have wonderful choices! I want to grow a good selection of milkweeds this year, so I'd love a pinch of Asclepias perennis and Asclepias purpurescens.

In looking them up, I discovered that A. perennis is a.k.a. "Aquatic Milkweed." The monarchwatch site says it likes constantly wet soil, so I think it would be a good candidate for potting up and adding to one of my "pond" containers, with just the bottom of the pot in the water.

Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

Presuming that my Tropicaal Milkweed is dead as a doornail by now--
when should i start seeds for more? I know it may be self-seeding.

I know that many seeds may have just dropped--even though the FLY
more than DROP. Need to know what a Milkweed seedling looks like. Anyone?

g.

Lucketts, VA(Zone 7a)

Ok critter I've got you for the zinnias and the Long Tall Sally peppers - it cracks me up every time I see the name.

Lucketts, VA(Zone 7a)

Hey Muddy, I'd like to try some of your Conoclinium coelestinum seeds.

Lucketts, VA(Zone 7a)

Terri, we would like to try just a few of your peppers, please. What a cool name!

Lucketts, VA(Zone 7a)

Ok Pat, you got it.

Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

I have to organize whatever seeds I have that are NEW--then I will post them.

My BIG BOX will be same-old...same old---just re-filled the emptier envelopes.

Bear with me! Thanks, Gita

Silver Spring, MD(Zone 7a)

I have a request!

If you haven't placed your on-line seed order, can you please add an order for a packet of Sun Sugar? I was going to order a bunch of other seeds but I've changed my mind, and it doesn't make sense to pay $6+ in shipping for one packet of seeds.

Thank you!

Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

SS--
You KNOW you will be able to buy a "Sun Sugar" tomato plant this summer
from Bonnie's--for $3 something. healthy and well-growing...
Let someone else worry about the germination and the seedlings care.

I think I will do that myself...They have so many heirloom Tomatoes now,
all the ones I have seeds for. Trying to cut down on so many seedlings.

Look for the tan colored ID labels. Those are heirloom.

G.

Silver Spring, MD(Zone 7a)

Thanks for the tip, Gita!

I'm, interested in growing more than one and also giving some seedlings to friends and family, so it'd be cheaper to get a packet of seeds.

Lucketts, VA(Zone 7a)

Jill, got you down for the milkweeds. BTW, our stand of Asclepias perennis grows fine on a fairly high area in our yard without regular watering.

Thumbnail by greenthumb99
Vienna, VA(Zone 7a)

Critter and Aspen, you're on my Promised list.

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

huh... thanks for letting me know, David. wonder what's up with the recommendation on the monarch watch site, then? I might plant some A. perennis out and throw some in a "pocket pond," just to see what happens.

Vienna, VA(Zone 7a)

Greenthumb, I would like to try Campanula americana, Ratibida pinnata, Saxifraga pensylvanica, Spiraea tomentosa and Verbena hastata.

Have you found any of those to be deer resistant?

Lucketts, VA(Zone 7a)

Muddy, I believe all the species you requested are considered deer resistant. Have you down for all.

Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

David--

Did you get the D-mail I sent you after the Holidays
about the Chinese Wisteria seeds? Didn't hear back from you...
Maybe you are not interested. That's OK too.

Gita

Lucketts, VA(Zone 7a)

Gita - sorry for my lack of response. D-mail on New Years Eve with us preparing to host the holiday get-together with siblings and families and it just got forgotten in the mix. Giving it due consideration, I think I'll pass as I am fighting with enough aggressive vines already. I really appreciate your offer though! Thanks.

David

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

I added a few more seeds to my "haves" list. :-)

Lucketts, VA(Zone 7a)

Added more to my HAVES.

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

sweet!

Greenthumb, could I also hit you up for some pink Verbena hastata and Filipendula rubra also? I'm determined to create some additional distinct areas in my garden, in part to give me more room for tall flowers like these. Hmm, I can also do tall flowers all along the back property line, since the construction there should be coming to an end soon.

Lucketts, VA(Zone 7a)

Jill, I am putting some V. hastata (pink) and F. rubra aside for you now, along with some Campanula americana. C. americana is a biennial that grows 3-5 feet tall with blue flower spikes. Takes some shade and will re-seed, providing an on-going presence.

annapolis, MD(Zone 7b)

Green thumb,
I know you specialize in Native seeds, so I thought you might be interested in a site I came across called Hawthorn Hill Wildflowers that lists 10 milkweeds that are native to Florida, one of which is Asclepias perenis and seven of the others I've never heard of.
http://hawthornhillwildflowers.blogspot.com/2010/02/swamp-milkweed-asclepias-perennis.html

Also:
http://hawthornhillwildflowers.blogspot.com/2015/01/new-plants-on-way-some-seed-to-give-away.html#comment-form
"We don't usually have extra seed, but we have limited quantities of the following. Seed loses its viability quickly so there is no sense in saving it on my end. If any of this is of interest to you, please email me - huegelc55@aol.com and inquire. I will give it away first come, but will ask you to send me a SASE."

1. Garberia heterophylla - Garberia
2. Symphyotrichum georgianum - Georgia aster
3. Chrysoma paucifloculosa - Woody goldenrod
4. Chrysopsis mariana - Maryland goldenaster
5. Chrysopsis liniarifolia - Linear leaved goldenaster

Not sure I can attend Swap but for starters would like seeds of Asclepias perennis and Purple Asclepias Thanks.

Lucketts, VA(Zone 7a)

Coleup, thanks for the info. Have the milkweed seeds you requested put aside for you.

Vienna, VA(Zone 7a)

Critter, I would like some New York Ironweed if still available.

Anne Arundel,, MD(Zone 7b)

haha peppers!

ssg I will order from Pinetree and get Sun Sugar for you I think one packet is fifteen seeds in that one. Enough?

critter- you're such a good planner, but in the vein of one man's trash is another man's treasure, don't put too much mental sweat into deciding what goes on which table.
Not as if we are buying 20$ items for gift table lol.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.