Winter Seed Swap

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

my post last night must have gone skipping off into the ethernet! LOL

Button, you know we'll miss you muchly, but you'll be glad to have the procedure & recovery behind that much sooner! HUGS to you & Bobbin.

The beekeeping course is on 3 consecutive Saturdays, so the 24th is likewise out. I talked to several members of the local beekeepers association at the Frederick Fair in fall, and I'm excited about this opportunity. I'll share what I learn!

Since we already had Sat Feb 7 penciled in as an alternate date in case of bad weather, let's go with that. noon to 4, more details coming soon. Kids, spouses, friends, neighbors -- all welcome!

silver spring, MD(Zone 7a)

Button

Listen to Ric and me. Take your pain meds 1 hour before PT with a full (8oz) glass of water. If they give you Ultram (Tramadol) take it with 325mg Tylenol. The Tylenol makes the Ultram work like morphine. Ice down well after the PT. Very well said Ric. Pain meds = effective PT work outs.

Yehudith

Vienna, VA(Zone 7a)

I don't know whether it's a good thing or a bad thing that there are so many of us who know the ins and outs of recovering from knee surgery : - )

Critter's talk of bees gave me an idea: Thanks to a neighbor's landscapers, who hauled a bunch of bamboo cuttings down a steep hill to the creek rather than load it into their truck, I can bring aged bamboo cuttings for anyone who wants to make a mason bee house: http://alternative-energy-gardning.blogspot.com/2013/03/how-to-make-bamboo-bee-house.html

The neighbor said she'd make them remove it but, months later, it's still there. I had knee surgery myself several years ago and do not want to traverse the normal rocky and deeply exposed root-y path I take, so I plan to haul it out using the most direct and safest route, which just so happens to run right through her property : - ).

This message was edited Jan 5, 2015 7:31 PM

Silver Spring, MD(Zone 7a)

Buttoneer, so sorry to hear about your knee! I hope you have a quick recovery.

I'm sitting here watching the snow fall thinking of the hour, probably 2 hours now, drive I have to make out to the woods to pull someone's staples. Believe it or not its a knee. I really am trying to come up with a compelling excuse not to go. OMG one lane roads through the trees and up and down and around hairpin curves in this mess. Well he never sends us more than we can handle so I might as well "... gird up my loins and sale forth. Once more into the breach!"

Salem Cnty, NJ(Zone 7b)

Be safe!!

Lititz, PA(Zone 6b)

Drive safe Yehudith.

Can you believe it. I just called to let them know I'm on the way. He just died! I'm serious! He keeled over just like that. 911 is there now. I'm gob smacked! Well at least I get to do the discharge in warmth and comfort rather than fighting this mess.

Salem Cnty, NJ(Zone 7b)

Wow!

Lititz, PA(Zone 6b)

Yikes!! That's too bad.

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

I was to drive to Lebanon VA today for an appointment but wimped out. It was just a routine visit and a long drive on a good day, so I rescheduled. They must have been very busy, as I was on hold for over 10 mins. to get scheduling.

Sorry to hear about your patient , yehudith, he may have thrown a post-op thrombosis.

Muddy, I've been saving smaller pieces of bamboo for some mason bee habitat but need a roundtoit to get it done. LOL

Ric

Actually I think it was just his time. He had a rotten hx and I think it all just caught up with him.

Thanks for the thoughts. I was really fond of this guy.

Yehudith

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

I just saw a cute cartoon on ATP facebook. It said "The short dark winter days make me suffer from SAD. Seed acquisition disorder." It was accompanied by a stick figure reveling with a bunch of seed catalogs. LOL
I'm sure many of us find this to be true, or at least daydreaming of spring.

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

Spent my day driving around. Took Dad to a rather important Dr visit. All good!
Didn't have a bit of trouble with the driving but the traffic was terrible out there. Saw 5 accidents, all fender benders on the expressway.

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

Prayers for his friends & family -- including you, Yehudith! Glad you didn't ahve to go out in this mess, but sorry for the reason of course.

Holly, glad all is good with your dad! Glad it was just fender benders -- and that you weren't in one of them.

HUGS to all... and STAY HOME if you possibly can! The roads aren't necessarily unsafe, it's all the panicky drivers out there that worry me.

Anne Arundel,, MD(Zone 7b)

wow Yehudith, what a freak timing. Sorry!

Oh my, very sad that two kids were seriously injured being driven to school today in this area. County getting he# on their facebook over opening on time today. I hate that the county schools think they have this magic that every minute spent in their building = student success and is precious..

Vienna, VA(Zone 7a)

That's so sad; I hope they'll recover. It was outrageous that schools opened on time today! The neighborhood kids spent a cold morning waiting for a school bus that got stuck on a nearby street.

Lititz, PA(Zone 6b)

My local school was open yesterday and today both on time. I like to drive by the kids on the way to work and say to myself...'haha suckers!!' It's only because I've been there that I now get to do that :) Of course they could just as easily say to me that I'm a sucker because I'm driving to work and where they get out at 230, I get out at 5.....hmmmm who's the sucker now?? Lol

Silver Spring, MD(Zone 7a)

This year's DC seed swap is being held at Behnke's on 1/31, but it's $20! :/

The new February date works for me!

Ric, here's that cartoon: http://www.greensparrowgardens.com/2014/12/sad-seed-acquisition-disorder.html

Carlisle, PA(Zone 6b)

Thanks for all the helpful hints. I had my right knee replaced 12/06/2006 and I woke up with A-fib and DVT (deep vein thrombosis) which went up into my left lung. I was in the hospital & rehab 2 weeks and did exactly as I was told to do. I came home 12/20 and went back to work with a walker in February. That knee is fine after surgery and I know what can & can't happen. I had the ivc filter installed yesterday. I will insist on something other than tramadol since it upsets my stomach. Percocet would work as I had it for my right knee & rotator cuff. I certainly hope that what is left of my body doesn't wear out as I am getting tired of surgery. Maybe I can do as i did one other year & list my seeds and get a good seed fairy to take them & pick up what I am looking for as I had to do one year. I will really miss the great food & camaradedrie.

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

Glad all went well Judy. Surgery sure isn't any fun but we do have to keep ourselves in running order. LOL

Vienna, VA(Zone 7a)

Thanks for letting us know how it went, Judy. I hope your knee surgery goes just as well.

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

Judy, I'll be glad to put out a "goodie bag" to collect your seed requests, I'm sure we can find somebody to mail them off to you! Watching seedlings grow is good therapy any time. :-)

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

Good luck Judy!
SS that's the one, I couldn't copy it from facebook.

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

Seed Swap threads are up!

Info & Sign Up thread: http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1384143/

(I did a bit of copy/paste from previous threads, so LMK if you see any errors please... I got the year wrong once; how embarrassing)

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.