Silly plants

Lake Stevens, WA(Zone 8a)

We have already had two really cold spells, both getting to 17 degrees here. But some of my plants still have a bloom or two left, I took these photos a few days ago, after the 5" of snow melted.:
the last shows white buds on my Edgeworthia shrub. I think once it fills out the white buds will be rather striking all winter, if seen against a dark background.
Hey everyone, it's just 10 days until the winter solstice, then the days will get longer again. It's noon and I have the lights on.

Thumbnail by Pistil Thumbnail by Pistil Thumbnail by Pistil Thumbnail by Pistil Thumbnail by Pistil
Vashon, WA(Zone 8b)

How great to have color this time of year, sort of like Christmas lights on plants! I have a calendula in a protected place that still has a few raggedy blooms, which were peeking bravely out from the snow and ice. I love Heaths, and need to plant more of them in strategic places where I will see them when going to and fro from work in the wintertime.

Vashon, WA(Zone 8b)

Hi, just wondering how big the Edgeworthia is likely to get eventually, if you know. I saw one at a garden center yesterday, but I don't trust plant tags to tell me the real size of shrubs in PNW.

Lake Stevens, WA(Zone 8a)

I don't know, I was wondering about it myself. Mine does not grow fast, but I am neglectful with summer watering. I had two before that died in a cold winter windy spot, this one is protected and doing fine. Hopefully in a month or two I can post flower photos...
UW botanical garden says E. chrysantha gets to 6ftx7ft but usually smaller, so give it a bit of room.

Vashon, WA(Zone 8b)

I would love to see flowers when they bloom!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.